New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake  (Read 11296 times)

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cranberry Lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Ranger is right Black Duck Hole area is the place to be when I was at Smitties we use to go visit the Ranger School and get back in there and catch some beauties, 10-14lb is average in those waters or it use to be and a 20lber is very possible.  Big suckers were always the best since they are very hardy and the gators love them.  A little trick is to bite off or cut off the tail so they can't swing hard and trip flags and they waddle like a wounded fish, the big'uns will gobble them up! Tight lines but and good luck in the Kena!
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:54 AM »
hey thanks guys!  yea we do the same thing on the lake with the suckers and clip the tail.  you fish right inside of black duck or stay outside the mouth of it? 
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:09 PM »
The name of the lake I was thinking of was Cedar Lake....You fishing in the Cranberry Derby?

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Is it possible to fish this lake for the derby without a sled or atv? college student here so walking a bit isnt bad if its realistic

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2011, 03:28 PM »
You need to weigh you fish in alive.  Fish become property of the VFD (if it is a big one you can get it back at the end of the derby) and they let them go.  It is a big lake (3rd largest in the ADK's) and last year they had 2 weigh in stations.  One of them is at the Public Beach at the campground.  Not the best pike waters there but you could fish in that area and walk.  The rest of the lake you definetly need motorized trasportation.  The other weigh in station was at the mouth of Dead Creed Flow and that is a long walk in good conditions (3 miles from town and proub about 2 miles from the beach)
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:16 PM »
yea im thinkin about fishin in it.  i usually fish bonapart every year so i know how its run but never fished cranberry.  Got a couple buddies that wanna come up and fish with me.  any of you guys gonna fish the derby?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:55 PM »
You are on one of the best spots around the area! Hit up dead creek flow and black duck hole. There is a lake near Trout Lake(right next to it) that has some good sized ones in it too but I forgot the name of the lake....you guys got it easy now when I was at the ranger school (lol) we took 48 credit hours.

What thats crazy they're making it to easy for them now. No more manual drafting and hand drawing radial line plot maps. Soon they won't teach them to sharpen axes and offer courses in muffin baking and signing guest into a hotel. ::)

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Those RS students have it soooooo easy now.  The school even provides them with a mobile warming hut for the winter.

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Haha!  you guys are too funny!  we still do all the road layout and calculations, the end project is drated on the computer and thank god not by hand!  Still get to sharpen axes and for some of the kids up here i believe they would be alot better and muffin baking!  And as a surveyor i dont worry about the warming hut but ill bet the foresters wish thats what it was for!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:05 PM »
My class, 1994, was the first year to have the surveying concentration.   I still have all of my hand drafted maps, my air photos, reinhart ready mapper, and my forest roads instruction book.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I'm down here at syracuse at SUNY-ESF, graduating this spring, never been to the ranger school but spent some time at our bio stations at Cranberry Lake and the St. Lawrence, great school :tipup:

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:35 AM »
I'm down here at syracuse at SUNY-ESF, graduating this spring, never been to the ranger school but spent some time at our bio stations at Cranberry Lake and the St. Lawrence, great school :tipup:

Which program are you in? Im FRM, graduating spring 2012

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:32 AM »
EFB

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Back when I went to the Ranger School....... ;D. You guys have it easy now with a fancy new building and new gadgets. Please tell me they still make you use the 2 chain tape and send you out in the rain with it so you have to spend hours cleaning and oiling it before they will let you turn it back in. I was lucky to be the last graduating class before the whole remodeling project.

adkRoy,
I still have all of my maps and projects too, don't think I'll ever get rid of the tote full of all that stuff.

Don't forget about the trout fishing up there either this spring, we used to catch a ton of nice trout on the area streams and rivers.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Do people fish up by the beach or would I be the lone ranger out there fishing it myself? I got a camp in cranberry but it isnt on the lake and I have always wanted to fish this derby and the lake in general.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Yea we still get to play with the old 2 chain tapes and junk...  even in the worst weather we are still out there!  And not sure how much trout fishin i will get in...  maybe after classes during the week but i usually go home on the weekends to fish, being it only about an hour and a half.  Spring time crappies and gills is one of my favs.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I still have a piece of a 2-chain tape that I broke as a student up there.  :whistle:

WHen I was up there, the roof was still slate. they replaced it with metal. I stll have some of the slate.

Pernice, Try fishing by the dam or if you can, on the east side of bear mt in the cove.

Tank you are right. There are some great trout fishing to be had up there.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:12 AM »
I will be walking in May as well....Saying good bye to ESF! As for maps drawings and air photos I got them all and some equipment that Mr. Flemming didn't miss.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:47 PM »
how is ice looking thanks and how much snow  will atv work or will i need sled thanks :tipup:
Just enjoying life

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:51 PM »
bump ::) ::)

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I'm heading up to camp on Friday, How does the ice look for wheelers after the warm up? Is there still alot of slush? I need to make it over to Hedgehog, the to dead creek. Hopefully it will be OK. We had to postpone our Feb. trip due to slush.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #51 on: Mar 07, 2011, 03:22 PM »
we got pounded with a foot and a half of snow last night.  And after fishin sat. and pushing wheelers all morning in the slush you better consider a sled.

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Is that little motel and bar still open. it's right on the lake.. My son and I used to get up their a few times a year.

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Cranberry Lake Lodge. Yes its still open, they have done some upgades over the last couple years.

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Cranberry Lake Lodge. Yes its still open, they have done some upgades over the last couple years.
  It was due for some upgrades.  Like new beds.  We were up there one time and got checked in, boat in the water. Go back for some dinner and as were sitting there the cook up and quit. and the little diner was shut down for the night..

Offline austin hunter ice team

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:04 AM »
does anyone have a report on the ice conditions i would like to go this weekend and I am driving 3 hours, any info greatly appreciated

fordman

« Reply #56 on: Feb 27, 2017, 11:30 AM »
does anyone have a report on the ice conditions i would like to go this weekend and I am driving 3 hours, any info greatly appreciated
you should be good but always take caution don't go alone life preservers planks ropes

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:24 PM »
you should be good but always take caution don't go alone life preservers planks ropes

Are you familiar with the lake?

I would be very, very, very careful if going on where most do.

Offline austin hunter ice team

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:58 PM »
ok it gets real cold up there on thursday are you saying that the ice wont be safe come saturday, and no i do not know the lake at all, i have just fished it once in the open water, thanks for any advice

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:12 PM »
your nuts----that is remote water---nobody goin to help you out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.