New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake  (Read 11297 times)

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cranberry Lake
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Has anyone been out there yet? If so, how is the ice, and the fishing been. I'm heading up there next month for a weekend.

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cranberry Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:19 PM »
got to be good ice diff by than went there one time didnt cacth much wasnt worth the 4 hour drive but we had fun anyway. First time i camped on the ice
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I have a camp on the lake, so no ice camping for me. ;D

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:22 PM »
hahaha lucky you. it was fun iam a young guy so i can take the cold plus get wicked drunk and you can sleep though anything

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I have a camp on the lake, so no ice camping for me. ;D
Ah great memories up there on Cranberry Lake. I would assume there is plenty of ice up there seeing Central New York kept safe ice threw the warm spell. You might be able to give the Cranberry Lake Loge a call for ice condition....and then report back here ;)2 Where abouts is your camp out there?

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Love Cranberry. My son and I canoed out to Bear Mountain Flow to camp for a few days this summer.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Camp is on Hedgehog. It is the only one in the area. Was built in 1910, and we have had it in the family since the mid 50's. My most favorite place on earth!!!!!!!

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Just called the lodge. They didn't have a lot of info, but said they lost quite a bit of ice during the warm up, and there is about an inch of snow on it as of now. Hopefully they won't get too much snow. It sucks trying to get around on a wheeler in 4 ft of snow.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Just called the lodge. They didn't have a lot of info, but said they lost quite a bit of ice during the warm up, and there is about an inch of snow on it as of now. Hopefully they won't get too much snow. It sucks trying to get around on a wheeler in 4 ft of snow.
Ah 4' could be challenging lol Sorry the loge wasn't that useful. I have been by your camp via hockey skates one day while board at the ranger school (09). I have only ice fished the lake once but man was it fun. Two things learned that day...1) make your tip ups visible for the snowmobiles 2) HUGE pike. One almost dragged my roomates tip up down the hole. lol

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:44 PM »
I should be up there on the 11th of February, if anyone wants to stop by and have a cold one come on over. I plan on fishing black duck, and or dead creek flow. If anyone wants to fish with us let me know.

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:37 PM »
I was over to Wanakena over the weekend. I was told there was about 4'' in the narrows. Saw some sled tracks. Lost a fair amount of snow during the warm up. Its been cold again since Saturday night and gonna be cold the next 10 days at least. Things should be good to go.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Has anyone caught perch in any numbers in the last few years? As a kid, I could fill buckets with them. I haven't hooked into one in years.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Has anyone caught perch in any numbers in the last few years? As a kid, I could fill buckets with them. I haven't hooked into one in years.
The only thing I have caught in numbers up there is Blackflies! :blink: and maybe the occasional hog northern lol

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:17 AM »
The only thing I have caught in numbers up there is Blackflies! :blink: and maybe the occasional hog northern lol

I know what you mean about them black flies.  ;)2
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:12 PM »
lots of rockys though the ice but in the summer bull heads that lake should hold more fish than it does kinda confuses me some times.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:01 PM »
lots of rockys though the ice but in the summer bull heads that lake should hold more fish than it does kinda confuses me some times.

It used to be a world renown trout fishery but some yahoo put bass into the lake back in the 50's and that killed that.  :P

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:53 PM »
It used to be a world renown trout fishery but some yahoo put bass into the lake back in the 50's and that killed that.  :P
Don't forget the Pike! Gotta love Bait Bucket Stocking!!!

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Pike have always been in dead creek flow. They started moving out into the lake proper in the last 10 - 15 years. I have a 3# brookie hanging on my wall I caught bullhead fishing back in 95. My buddie caught a 4# brookie of the dock 2 years later. Over Memorial Day, we go up every year, and call ourselves the black fly and mosquito feedin club. A breeze makes a huge difference up there.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I thought the pike were introduced intothe lake i didn't know they have been always in dead creek flow...See you learn something new everyday!

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:32 PM »
i allways camp on the islands the bugs arent realy that bad out there, fishing allways tough for me though without live bait

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:49 PM »

Was up there this summer for bass, everyone in our club really struggled to find any fish whatsover let alone good ones.  Would like to try the Northerns up there though, I hear they get pretty big.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Try fishing the shore line from burnt rock all the way to bear mountain swamp for bass. I usually get into them pretty good between Bear mnt. and sand island . I have hooked a few dandy largemouths also.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:00 PM »
You should be able to get an idea of snow cover from this link
http://www.esf.edu/rangerschool/webcam.htm

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Any word on the Cranberry Lake tournament this year? I didn't get to make it last year I hope I can this year.

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:22 AM »
it is march 5th.30$ registration

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Thanks walleyehunter!

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Im a student at the Ranger School now, do alot of northern fishin back home on ontario.  where abouts can you get some huge northerns through the ice up here?  Id love to hook into one of those 20 pounders that I know are in here...  And do you guys fish giant suckers for big northerns like we do on the lake???   Any help would be great im only gonna be here till this spring
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:43 AM »
You are on one of the best spots around the area! Hit up dead creek flow and black duck hole. There is a lake near Trout Lake(right next to it) that has some good sized ones in it too but I forgot the name of the lake....you guys got it easy now when I was at the ranger school (lol) we took 48 credit hours.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Haha i dont know about easy...  everything is through the computers now and a pain in the nuts...   Yea i just wanna catch one slob that is big enough to hang on the wall while im up here.  has to be atleast 20 though, 17 is my personal best.   Thanks for the hints and any more are welcomed.
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Im a student at the Ranger School now, do alot of northern fishin back home on ontario.  where abouts can you get some huge northerns through the ice up here?  Id love to hook into one of those 20 pounders that I know are in here...  And do you guys fish giant suckers for big northerns like we do on the lake???   Any help would be great im only gonna be here till this spring

You happen to be at the best school ever right now on one of the best lakes. Now when I was at the ranger school, we didn't have computers....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.