Author Topic: Saginaw Bay Trip  (Read 1097 times)

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saginaw Bay Trip
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Well being from MI, I took a week over christmas and headed north to spend some time with the family.  Also snuck in some time on the saginaw bay. ;)  Bite was slow but managed to catch a few 'eyes.

On another note, we had a real close encounter with a 1lb propane tank.  We were setting up bright and early, and as I was trying to get the buddy heater going, it just wouldn't light.  I had just put a brand new bottle on it and figured it was froze or something. Took that bottle off and set it in the corner, and spun a new bottle on. The heater lit right up. Well about 2hrs later I start to hear a hissing noise. At first I thought it was the thermos relieving some pressure. But after a few seconds, I smelt the propane. The tank I had set in the corner must have had some ice in the valve, and after it thawed out part way, it still had the valve open.  Well needless to say, I grabbed the tank and threw it out the door as I was yelling at my buddy to shut of the heater.  All worked out and we didn't have a fire or explosion.  But as fast as the tank was spewing out the gas, it wouldn't have taken long for something terrible to happen. :o :o It was a Worthington tank for what its worth.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Saginaw Bay Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:28 AM »
Look's like a great trip.

I'd visit my family often if they lived in Northern MI :thumbsup:

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:47 AM »
had same trouble with propane canister scared me this was first i have ever had trouble with them oh yeah nice fish

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:09 AM »
nice slabasorises :o  good job!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Nice job C20 on the xmas fish.  Glad you came out unscathed on the propane deal.  Sometimes our lives can be changed in an instant.  The reason to get in as much ice fishing as one possibly can while you can.  If Monroe ever locks up enough this year, maybe you can give this bluegill nut some walleye lessons, LOL. 

HHD

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Great walleye and pics! Heard the bite is on the tougher side, so that makes the fish that much sweeter! How was the ice after the rain?
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:27 AM »
congrats on the fish...way to go!!! can't wait to hit the bay if things work out!!

:clap:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Good Job on the big water ;)
Glad you didn't do a space shuttle impersonation with the whole propane thing. Stay on em!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:09 PM »
nice eyes
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:14 PM »
nice fish, how far from shore?

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Great walleye and pics! Heard the bite is on the tougher side, so that makes the fish that much sweeter! How was the ice after the rain?

Last day I fished was thur the 30th. Ice was holding strong, had about 2" slush ontop of 8+" of ice.  I think the short melt off will help the ice. There was a tanker and some strong winds that broke up the ice before it refroze, making it a rough ride out.

nice fish, how far from shore?

We were 3 miles out of quanicassee.

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Dude, if your coming up 135 pick me up on the way next time. Nice eyes for sure.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline Globalwarming

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Nice Walleye! :clap:
Saginaw Bay was the one of the first spots I went ice fishing.  I was a student at Michigan.  I seem to remember we didnt want to drive on the ice so we ended up walking about 2 miles onto the ice to get to the shanty town.  Did pretty well catching perch..no walleye.  At the end of the day the walk back to shore seemed like it was 4 miles. LOL ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.