Author Topic: Rice lake Open for Ice Fishing  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Shorefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Rice lake Open for Ice Fishing
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:02 PM »
http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2911341

Anybody tried fishing Rice lake yet... I am hearing this is the first time it has been open for ice fishing in a looooong time!

Definately gonna be making a trip up. Any words of advice on where to stay cheap?

or tips and tricks for fishing rice on the ice?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Rice lake Open for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Actually... last season was the first time it was open for ice fishing, and the results where not that great. Personally I had an awefull time catching fish, and when I called a local hut oppperator he actually told me they where moving huts all the time, and having an issue tracking down crappies.

Offline middlewick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Where I have my hut, I am consistantly catching perch. Some days are much better than others (size and numbers) but I havent been skunked yet.
The end of last year was fantastic with size and numbers. 13.5 inches was my best last year. So far this year I have had a day that I caught over 30 with a dozen keepers around 9"s and 1 around 12"s

I haven't been able to get on the crappie yet but I also haven't been moving around much (yet).

Offline Icer™

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I plan on getting out this week at Rice, I have been out of the game too long due to family commitments. Gonna be great!

Offline ruttinbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:34 PM »
any updated word on ice fishing rice lake Ontario
thanks

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Been ice fishing there for a few years now....

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:48 PM »
ruttinbuck...

buddy of mine has told me fishing is decent.. I won't share where he was but there is safe ice around. He's had decent days for perch and a few good walleyes...
hope you find some better info.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:08 AM »
ruttinbuck...

buddy of mine has told me fishing is decent.. I won't share where he was but there is safe ice around. He's had decent days for perch and a few good walleyes...
hope you find some better info.

Walleye are closed on Rice Lake, only panfish are target-able....

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:23 PM »
correct they are closed... but fun to catch amungst all the perch.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:48 AM »
correct they are closed... but fun to catch amungst all the perch.

If a species are closed they are not allowed to be targeted, if you are catching more than a fluke oos fish you are supposed to change baits and locations in an attempt to stop catching them. Suggesting on a board that you have a good spot that catches the oos fish is irresponsible.

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Elrik,

yes, you are right. I guess that was rather irresponsible. I shouldn't have said that looking back. I told my buddy the same thing about moving to avoid the walleye he was reluctant to move because (in his opinion) the perch fishing was too good. (in my opinion), the perch fishing wasn't that good from the sounds of it lol.

But you raise a good point and thank you for addressing it, many people do not know that legally you are supposed to move if you're catching too many out of season fish.

But this begs the question, and hoping some people will chime in here with their opinions... How many is too regular catching of OOS fish? I know some people frequently catch OOS largemouth while on Splake spots... In my opinion, if half the fish you catch are OOS, that would warrant moving...

Any other opinions?

Offline deft-traveler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I understand it happens to hook into an OOS species,  I move immediately and swap bait/gear. Why stress them any more?

If folks continue to fish them and hammer them - it hurts everyone.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I would consider one fish a fluke occurrence, after a second fish I would be adjusting bait, if more after bait change than that I would be changing locations.

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:38 AM »
I like your guys' opinions better, cuz by mine if you're catching 30 jumbos and you've caught 15 walleye that's rediculous and you're harming the fish that are under protection...

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Also, by your original example what would you do if you haven't caught any of your target species yet and you get an oos species? Do you pickup and move right away even though it was only a single fish?

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Yea true... my original example is definately crud... cuz if the first fish was OOS I wouldn't move right away... because the first fish could easily be the fluke. I had a buddy who was fishing lake trout the other day and caught a walleye in 90 ft of water, up 60... what the hell is a walleye doing there... complete fluke but it was the only fish he caught that day so I wouldn't say that warrants moving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.