Author Topic: Left em biting....  (Read 1713 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Left em biting....
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Slabgill, springbobber and I set out this morning to check some ice and see if we could get on.  We went to the first 2 lakes (connected by a channel) and spudded our way around.  Seemed be be a solid 4" of clear see thru ice wherever we looked.  We gathered the gear and spudded our way to our spot.  I got the ice gator out and ripped open some holes, but what I found was not real encouraging.  The ice was not shaving like before, and it was coming up in clumps even though it was clear ice with no visible air bubbles or honeycombing.  It was pretty weird.  We had about half the ice we had before the rain and warm weather, but I also noticed the thickness was not consistent even within a few paces.  As I was cutting holes with the gator, I cut one in 4-5 inches and then 15ft away I went thru about 2".  Needless to say I backed away quickly from there. :o :o  Slabgill caught a keeper gill right away and springbobber lost one, then it was alot of lookers and few biters.  I caught 2 small bass and that was it.  We had waited until it was light out to get started since we were checking the ice as we went and by 9:30 we had enough of the lookers.  It was too cold with the wind to be sitting there and not catching, so we decided to move to another lake.  We got to the next lake about 10 or so and as soon as we cut about 20 holes with the gator, we started catching.  Fish were moving alot, but if u sat still they would come and go and pretty much have fish under you the entire time.  Water was about 11-12 feet and sitting on clear ice you did not want alot of movement.  We left them biting at noon with about 52 fish that we kept and quite a few dinks.  I think we had 22 crappie and 30 gills.  Nothing huge, but decent eaters.  The wind was still blowing pretty good and with the temp at 16 it did not take much to freeze your hands and face if exposed to the wind.

I will put a pic of the catch up later when I clean them.  Forgot the pic before I cleaned them.  So I took one of the fillets.

Be careful if you go.  Definitely spud your way out and back as the ice is not the same thickness even within a few foot radius.  This was evident on both lakes we fished.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Left em biting....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:30 PM »
GJ,thats pretty good for the conditions.  i stayed home because of the cold front :'( lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:19 PM »
great report, thanks for the details. Glad you are safe and caught fish!

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I knew it was going to be a cold one this morning!  I had overslept this morning but I think it turned out to be a good thing for once!!  Now it's time to make the ice that we lost.

Offline muskiesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the report wax!!! good info and for sure it is strange how the ice thickness changes from just 10' away!!!
any how good job on the fish!
steve fiorio

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:34 PM »
we just sissed out here... ;D
just hanging around the house. hope to get out soon!
nice job on the fish! way to use your head with the spud and keep everyone safe!

but...
thats why you let slabgill go first!! ;D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:02 PM »
we just sissed out here... ;D
just hanging around the house. hope to get out soon!
nice job on the fish! way to use your head with the spud and keep everyone safe!

but...
thats why you let slabgill go first!! ;D

Yep....forgot to say bring your creepers as it is slick out there!  Spingbobber took a spill pulling one of the jet sleds and introduced his knee to the ice!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao:  Once I saw he was OK...I had to laugh!!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Yep....forgot to say bring your creepers as it is slick out there!  Spingbobber took a spill pulling one of the jet sleds and introduced his knee to the ice!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao:  Once I saw he was OK...I had to laugh!!

Yeah I'll pry be feeling that one in the mornin'.  :wacko:
I guess I was just in a hurry to try to salvage the day.  Maybe I would have slowed down if I knew we'd put 50 on ice in two hours. :icefish:
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Great job, especially with the bp on the rise, cold front, blue bird skies. You have to have a perfect presentation to put the fish on this ice.  What worked best to trigger the bite?
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Deadsticking it!!!!!!....It was pretty crazy for 2 hrs. though...If we would have been there at light it would have been a cool 100, I bet!!!!!..The lake is known for alot of just keeps ,not giants..... but oh well they all taste the same. :tipup: :clap:

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Yeah I'll pry be feeling that one in the mornin'.  :wacko:
I guess I was just in a hurry to try to salvage the day.  Maybe I would have slowed down if I knew we'd put 50 on ice in two hours. :icefish:
LOL...I was in front so I missed that one... >:(

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:52 PM »
looks like a fun time. think I''ll have to wait awhile. over 2 inches of rain here at my house.raised the pond about 4 inches. ice looks like it is floating. may check it tomorrow. been cold for last 24 hrs or more.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline heinidog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Way to go guys glad some of us are doing great.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Good work fellas!!  Glad you guys stayed on top of em. I think im going to see how the ice is holding up around here in the morning.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Great job, especially with the bp on the rise, cold front, blue bird skies. You have to have a perfect presentation to put the fish on this ice.  What worked best to trigger the bite?

Actually we had some lake effect snow up here while we were fishing, so there was some cloud cover.  The ice is clear like a window though so in that shallow of water, with clear ice and clear water you don't want it sunny!  When the fish came in, they seemed pretty agressive.  Even had a couple go down for the bait when I let too much line out and it went past them on the vex.  The biggest issue was getting back down the hole to them before they left after catching one.

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Good job and good suggestion on the spud..There is some very uneven ice out there now.

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:15 PM »
You boys are on for sure, congrats.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:42 AM »
You guy's did great considering the conditions.  We went to James and another small lake and couldn't get anything to bite only caught a few dinks.  The place on James was holding some big crappie before the cold snap.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:17 PM »
The lake is known for alot of just keeps ,not giants..... but oh well they all taste the same.
    I've yet to hear anyone ever say that it tastes like a small one ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.