Author Topic: Wolf Lake in Goshen IN....Ice check.  (Read 2205 times)

Offline micoyote1

• IceShanty Rookie
Wolf Lake in Goshen IN....Ice check.
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has fished Wolf lake in the last day or so.....would like to know the ice condition or any lakes in the area. Want to get out Sunday morning and play with the new Christmas toys....any info would be great...Thanks.
Oh wait...Fish on!!!!

Offline icekingjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wolf Lake in Goshen IN....Ice check.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I fish the lake occasionally.  I would be concerned about the ice quality after the last couple of days.  That lakes takes a lot to freeze in the first place and can be treacherous even without the rain and warm weather.  Can be good fishing at times, though.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Ice is not good there....egdes are bad and the rain has made what ice was there soft and pinholed.  I would give it a while before trying that.

Offline micoyote1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 02:21 PM »
thanks for the info even though its not what I wanted to hear....better safe than sorry...will give it a few days to firm back up then give it a try...again thanks for the update...saves me a trip...... ;D
Oh wait...Fish on!!!!

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I always wondered about that lake.  Is it public?  If so, how do you get on?  On another note, I checked Hunter Lake a few minutes ago in Middlebury and it looks pretty unsafe, didn't even venture on to check.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:59 PM »
I always wondered about that lake.  Is it public?  If so, how do you get on?  On another note, I checked Hunter Lake a few minutes ago in Middlebury and it looks pretty unsafe, didn't even venture on to check.

I don't think it is public, but I know a person that owns property on it and he allows me to park at his place and get on.  I know others travel under a fence and through a wooded area to get on it.  I assume it is trespassing since it is fenced off, but apparently the land owner does not care as I know some have done it for years.

Offline micoyote1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:25 PM »
I have heard from a few people that the County owns the land where the fence is back to the lake. I think that the parking is an issue because people park along the road and the police run them off for safety reasons....but from what I hear its county owned.
Oh wait...Fish on!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I have heard from a few people that the County owns the land where the fence is back to the lake. I think that the parking is an issue because people park along the road and the police run them off for safety reasons....but from what I hear its county owned.

That could be.....Since there was a fence, I assumed someone other than the county owned it.

Offline micoyote1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Wax Worm.....I will be checking it threw the week and as soon as there are people back out fishing it I will throw an update on this thread for ya.... :tipup: :)
Oh wait...Fish on!!!!

Offline icekingjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:26 PM »
The land that most people pass through is in fact owned by the county.  However, the land is undeveloped and is not easy to hike through.  Also, the biggest issue with access is parking.  Some try and park along the side of 15.  I do know that several pickups got taken out by a semi there just a couple of years ago. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Wax Worm.....I will be checking it threw the week and as soon as there are people back out fishing it I will throw an update on this thread for ya.... :tipup: :)

Thanks, I don't fish it much due to the sketchy ice there and how long it takes to freeze.  The bite is also very hit and miss there.  When you get a few, it is hard to stay on them and get a decent mess of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.