The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Francis E Walter Dam  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
Francis E Walter Dam
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Thinkin about takin a quick trip here on sunday with icerebel...never fished it before...i know all about the water releases and what not, im just interested in how the fishing is...depths, species, and even is it worth my time going. any info is appreciated! thanks.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
Re: Francis E Walter Dam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:17 PM »
thanks nuagola...what kind of depths am i lookin at there? u park at boat launch, correct?

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Rebelfisher i have been getting some more info over in the reports page for this lake. From what they are saying it seems pretty good and we have to go down in that little picnic area to get on the ice. I guess the gates are closed to get on the lower road.

Offline Locnar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:57 AM »
Very important for this lake, be cautious, stream flow is controlled by Army Corps of Engineers and is subject to changes during the seasons. The lake depth is subject to fluctuations even during the ice season. There is a link for release dates and flow/water levels in the Lake conditions and reports section. Check that link before you go. The lake level could potentially be several feet below the ice, which is incredibely dangerous. It is usaully stable most of the season and should have good ice being pretty cold on the pocono plataeu, but as many can attest it changes. The lake is pretty good fishing, Vex is needed as the lake has little structure, basicly a bowl. The tailrace is where I fish in winter, treacherous down there to but well worth the effort.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Drove across the top of dam yesterday, fully covered in ice, saw two or three guys on the ice.

Water levels have been stable lately. Bear Creek side of drainage is bone dry.

This afternoon I will take a quick ride, pop a couple holes and relate what I find as far as a ice thickness
goes.

The big pool below the dam at the tubes holds big fish. Normally they congregate Nov during fall spawn. If you hike down there, make sure you take a good set of legs (you will need them for the hike out) and I would suggest studded, spiked shoes for when you are clinging to the
ice covered, sometimes crumbling shoreline. Lots of work fishing that hole, but the rewards may be great.

On the plus side, all the rattlers are fast alseep several feet beneath the boulders you will hop-skipping across.  ;D

Offline Locnar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Ya the pool below the dam and the few miles below it are some of my favorite water in NEPA. Luckily the difficulty in fishing most of it is pretty high, lots of pockets and eddys in the fast current to be fished if you know how. Ive hiked it from the dam down past the bridge and beyond mostly hiking along the gorge walls and it is a challenging yet very rewarding trip if you have the legs for it, luckily Im still in my twenties so I take full advantage of my legs and hit places all over NEPA that a lot of guys write off as too hard or too far.   ;D

ICE REBEL

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:50 PM »
That's how i do my trout fishing when i fish the creeks around home. I go where no man goes and always do very well.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Ya the pool below the dam and the few miles below it are some of my favorite water in NEPA. Luckily the difficulty in fishing most of it is pretty high, lots of pockets and eddys in the fast current to be fished if you know how. Ive hiked it from the dam down past the bridge and beyond mostly hiking along the gorge walls and it is a challenging yet very rewarding trip if you have the legs for it, luckily Im still in my twenties so I take full advantage of my legs and hit places all over NEPA that a lot of guys write off as too hard or too far.   ;D

I fish the area around the gauge station quite often. I wish that the Army Corp would leave thegate open during the winter. Folks with 4x4 could easily get in/out of there.

Very good winter fishing down there, but you have to be willing to hike the 2.25 miles in and the 2.25 miles out.

It's funny - I never see another soul down there in the winter months. :)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Any one been out on the ice ? Guess I should have checked it out before the snow.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I drove over the dam today at 10:00 am - there were about 5-6 guys fishing up where the inlets meet.

Offline Locnar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:49 AM »
Winter is by far my favorite time for trout, all of my biggest have been during Jan-Feb when most guys are ice fishing. The long hikes are well worth it. Soo many places like Francis E. have closed access and you are forced to walk like some have already mentioned, but this just means no pressure and no competition. I like the gauge station area a lot to very nice back there and so many nice pools its hard to choose where to start. I havent been up that way yet, but Im sure the ice is plenty safe if there hasnt been any water level changes, its very cold up there in the Blakeslee area compared to the rest of nepa.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.