The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ??DIRT AUGER??  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
??DIRT AUGER??
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Anybody ever tried it on ice? Harbor Freight has a dirt auger for $199. i figured if it can cut through gravel and clay and hard ground than it can cut through ice. and they have a warranty. Just wonderd wat everyone thought or is this just a stupid question. My buddies dad has one and we thought it might make are backs hurt a little less after drillin holes and sittin on a bucket all day.   

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ??DIRT AUGER??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:52 PM »
The general consensus is that Harbor Freight stuff is junk. I wouldn't waste $199 on it when you can get a entry model Eskimo Power auger for like $30 bucks more. You'd also have to see if they made ice blades for the Harbor Freight auger. Don't waste your money IMO ........
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:18 PM »
I'd stay away from it, look around if you really want 1. Like Junior58 said you can get a Eskimo for just alittle more. also look around for used ones. I found a Eskimo barracuda auger at a pawn shop, 10" and 8" augers for $100.00 bucks. Good luck to ya and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Have to agree with both these guys...JUNK!!! Run away! Run Away!!!! :o No razor sharp ice blades on an earth auger...you'd end up using it for a spud!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Dirt and ice blades are different, I agree run run away.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:43 PM »
thanx for the heads up guys! Man i love this site lol

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:52 PM »
I use a dirt auger. Made by earth quake. I bought a 10" ice auger bit and put it on the engine head. It is not as light as a ice auger, but does work just fine. I'm thinking about replacing it with a propane powered auger, no more gasoline on my hands.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I use a dirt auger. Made by earth quake. I bought a 10" ice auger bit and put it on the engine head. It is not as light as a ice auger, but does work just fine. I'm thinking about replacing it with a propane powered auger, no more gasoline on my hands.

Earth Quake augers are made by Ardisam, the same corporation as Eskimo.  The bits and blades are different, but they can be swapped out.  But anything at Harbor Freight is, in my opinion, designed to be used once and thrown away.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chitown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Not saying it would work for ice fishing but my buddy does a lot of qdma at his land and we planted 250 trees and it worked great

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:40 AM »
I use a Tanaka 350 with a modified 10" mora lazer on it and it cuts amazing, earth augers have some serious torque.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:20 PM »
An earth auger will work fine, but may be hard to start in the cold! You will need an ice auger bit for it, an earth bit won't cut ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:40 PM »
so i got the local menards add on sunday and went and checked it out today.. they have earthquake power earth augers on sale right now for 179 for the e43.  this looks like the exact same head off of the mako m43 ice auger and its almost half the price.  looking at the specs online they look identical the only thing i found different is eskimo claims its a cold weather motor where as earthquake doesnt specify but how different could they really be. i know its the same exact company makin them. does anyone have any knowledge of these two different yet identical power heads???

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:43 AM »
so i got the local menards add on sunday and went and checked it out today.. they have earthquake power earth augers on sale right now for 179 for the e43.  this looks like the exact same head off of the mako m43 ice auger and its almost half the price.  looking at the specs online they look identical the only thing i found different is eskimo claims its a cold weather motor where as earthquake doesnt specify but how different could they really be. i know its the same exact company makin them. does anyone have any knowledge of these two different yet identical power heads???

They work great with a few modifications. 

I replaced the powerhead on my Strikemaster 8" 224 with an E43.

Here's more info on what was required to make it work well.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=267106.msg2754608#msg2754608

Q

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:00 PM »
I use a Tanaka 350 with a modified 10" mora lazer on it and it cuts amazing, earth augers have some serious torque.

Sure does, thats what I'm using, also couldn't resist buying a efco earth auger when baileys had them on for half price, I've used it with the mora and a eskimo flyte, its almost as nice as the tanaka but not as refined as the Japanese made tanaka. It seems buying a earth auger power head is the way to go!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.