Author Topic: Strenth of ice (chart)  (Read 12845 times)

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strenth of ice (chart)
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:59 AM »

Went to the hardware store today to get some odds and ends for the shack,i was talking with the clerk about the ice and he said i have a chart that shows how strong ice is,would you like a copy,of corse i said sure.I thought everyone might like to see it. :icefish:

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strenth of ice (chart)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Thanks

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:13 PM »
I like the note!!!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:24 PM »
That sounds like me, particularly when I want to bring the neices and nephews along for some jigging.
Better safe than sorry!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Shorefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I cannot stand on two inches ... every time I do I usually end up with wet feet  :o( I am 5 foot 10 inches and 230 lbs)

Offline Sarbinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:30 PM »
thanxs for the info
I cant believe ice is that strong

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Thanks for the info  ;D

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2010, 03:12 PM »
I saw my brother, 6'2" and 260 pounds, slip and come straight down on his behind on under three inches of black ice and it didn't break. Put one hell of a spiderweb in the ice and a good scare through us, but it held all that inertia.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2010, 03:20 PM »
If you plan on driving a car or truck on 8" of ice drag a long rope off the rear bumper. No reason for recovery personnel to have to risk their lives to find and pull your body out. I've never liked these lists, they're a bad influence on people without common sense.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:16 PM »
if there is no snow cover and or slush pockets or current, 10 inches is plenty safe for a full size truck to pull a wheelhouse. its just a question of uniform ice thickness.. is there current moving through the lake? what is the ice like under the snow and slush? if your driving on a current free lake without snow, and 10 inches of black ice you will not go through..
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:02 PM »
if there is no snow cover and or slush pockets or current, 10 inches is plenty safe for a full size truck to pull a wheelhouse. its just a question of uniform ice thickness.. is there current moving through the lake? what is the ice like under the snow and slush? if your driving on a current free lake without snow, and 10 inches of black ice you will not go through..
exactly it all depends on the condition of the ice

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:05 PM »
If you plan on driving a car or truck on 8" of ice drag a long rope off the rear bumper. No reason for recovery personnel to have to risk their lives to find and pull your body out. I've never liked these lists, they're a bad influence on people without common sense.

x 2.  In my many years, I've seen a LOT of vehicles dump through 8-10" of ice and more. Best line is the DNR"s..."No such thing as safe ice". What burned my butt was putting my badge and life on the line to rescue these people that take a chart as the absolute black and white of it.  No one can tell how much current there is at a given time or if there is a weak spot from honeycombing. You can preach it over and over, but people will do what they will. My opinion.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I fished on 2 inches sunday and saw 3 guys in a circle nearby ishing together we all stayed dry. Ice is very strong. clrear black ice that is.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Just because the ice is good where you are doesn't mean it's okay 100 feet over. I went driving on 12 inches a few years back but when I parked it was only 8 inches. I also don't like these lists because you can never check the ice before you get there. I fully believe good clear ice can support these loads, but all it takes is a few bubbles and you might be swimming.

Offline buck snot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:52 AM »
That's nice. Thanks!

buck snot
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline clintonkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:14 PM »
7.5 for a car?   Not me :o

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:16 PM »
We've driven 4x4 half tons pulling wheel houses on 7 inches, clear ice is rediculously strong. I wouldnt cross the lake, or go near any current but under the right conditions its amazing what you can get away with.

Last year I thought it was ballsy driving my half ton on the big lake with 8-12 inches but then I seen a guy in a cummins megacab blow past me on the lake, pretty wild.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I hate these lists, it's kind of like the people who ask "how big of waves" or "how far out on the lake" can my boat handle.  I've seen 16' boats handle 6' waves with ease, and saw a 22' go down in 3' chop.  The only safe ice is in my glass (well, depending on what I'm drinking!)

That being said, last year we pulled the quad out after a thaw/freeze cycle, and measured the area we drove over later and found 3" of ice.  I've also seen people pop through 8" honeycomb on foot.  If you need a list to tell you how safe the ice is, it probably isn't.
Prayin' for cold

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:27 PM »
it is good to see that most of us are awair of just what we are doing when we head out on the ice now that being said i think that these ice lists are pretty cool but i for one think they should all say in big letters across the top that NO ICE IS SAFE ICE

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:45 AM »
Your results may vary!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:55 AM »
Thanks for the list, Remember if you drive on the ice keep the speed down or you'll cause a wave and you could go in. :tipup: :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:08 AM »
That list is on the low end of the ice strength chart, Those numbers represent a Perfect ice thickness growth ! We don't live in a Perfect world, we don't get the types of winters that we used to, that is proven ! These old lists give people a false sense of security that they will rely on instead of checking the ice as they venture further onto the ice !
  Relying on someone else's opinion of what is safe ice is the surest way of becoming a statistic there is !! if taking the time to check the ice seems like a waste of time to you, then do it for your loved ones, so they don't get the knock on the door from the Police at the end of the day tell them that your not coming home !!
  Sorry for all the Gloom from the Tomb, but we see and read about our fellow ice fishermen falling thru thin ice and drowning every year, CHECK THE ICE !!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:14 AM »
Agree with Surf - be careful out there!  Read the note at the bottom of the chart.  @)

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:43 AM »
 :tipup:

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:12 AM »
You will NEVER NEVER NEVER see me fishing on 2 inches of ice!  Like the note says........anglers prefer 5 inches.  That said i will go out on 3 - 4 but only on a lake that I ABSOLUTELY know the depth of like the back of my hand!  I'll fish for bows standing over 2 - 4 feet of water that way only because I know even if I go in i'll have wet legs!  If I'm standing over any water over 4 feet deep I'm waiting for 5 inches of clear ice! 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:06 PM »
it this point this year if i looks like it wil hold me i am going for it i have a pfd and if it makes me nervice i will wear it lol but for real i am yet to figgure out how to walk on open water so i guess i am stuck waiting for a good 3"-4"

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I have seen a truck go through on 2 feet of ice you never know.  4-5 inches of dense good ice is ok but if its 4-5 of fluffy air filled ice then you can fish it but you better know the lake and stay off the currents, inlets, outlets, spring holes, just stay off the ice.  cause currents and mother nature can change.

Offline hardwater68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I cannot stand on two inches ... every time I do I usually end up with wet feet  ( I am 5 foot 10 inches and 230 lbs)

I'm 5'10" 275 lbs. I'm not even thinking about 2"
remember the 7 p's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:20 AM »
just think lite lol it helps

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:33 AM »
The chart says strenth of ice not safety of ice!!!!!!!! Just posted it for a guide.  NOTHING REPLACES SAFTEY. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.