Author Topic: best portable ice fishing shanty  (Read 13185 times)

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
best portable ice fishing shanty
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I may buy a portable fold down type ice house and wondering opinion's on the best for under $300 or so.
thanks

J.R.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best portable ice fishing shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I wouldn't say there is a best one cause everyone has their opinion but I would go to a store and check out a bunch of different models and look for one that isn't made cheaply, fits your needs and your budget. my friend has a clam (not sure about the model) and its a two person flip up in a sled that works fine. I myself have a 6x6 pop up that I love, especially on the cold windy days and I got the heater running

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:56 AM »
as far as fold down flat Portables go, myself personally, I think you can't go wrong with the Shappel Portables. I've seen a few that were 5 to 10 years old and still getting the job done ! Not to bash Clam intentionally, But there are a lot of guys taking about quality control issues with the clam portables, weak assembly bolts, seats grenading and poorly constructed tents ! I've been using my Frabill XL Twin for 10 years now with 0 problems, so I'm kind of biased as far as flip overs go !  ;D Good luck with your decision and Happy Holidays !

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:24 AM »
Yours is a flipover Surf? I'll have to check it out and see how it pulls by hand...
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:31 AM »
Yours is a flipover Surf? I'll have to check it out and see how it pulls by hand...
Guinea, have you tried your creation yet?

Capt. Black

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:04 AM »
Slicker than Surf Snot on a Slippery Slope, Specialy after I Spray it with Silicone !!  :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: The sled base flip overs don't bulldoze the snow as much as the flat bottom shacks do.

Offline anrik1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gotch Ya !!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I sell the shappell dx3000 all day long. I've got one myself and love it. However...i've been selling a lot of the clam expedition pop ups. infact they are out selling shappell this year. depends if you want the floor choose dx3000. no floor and an excellent wind break, lighter, cheaper $$, clam.  I also have the shappell rover flip over. love it when its just me.  So many choices!! Good luck

Rick

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:11 AM »
That's like asking which truck or snowmobile is best. ;)  They're all good these days.

I had a Viking fold-up with a wooden floor for 20+ years and it was great.  Lasted forever but weighed a ton and was a bear to drag through the snow.

Early in the season weight is my biggest concern these days.  If I'm fishing 4-5" of ice then I will be walking and dragging a 1-man fishtrap and a hand auger.  The lighter weight the better.

With 6-7+" I will be riding an atv, with a power auger on the front and 2-man Otter (a gift from a friend who moved south) towed behind and weight is less of a concern.

The FT Scout has thinner/lighter materials than my Otter - but that's a good thing for my use.

Offline ciaran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I just got the Shappell 6000.  Pops right up. Breaks down fast!   $179 at fish307!!   This model folds up to about the size of a camp chair.  So far the slickest I've seen. 
...Not without your keys you're not!

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I just got the Shappell 6000.  Pops right up. Breaks down fast!   $179 at fish307!!   This model folds up to about the size of a camp chair.  So far the slickest I've seen. 

Thats the model I have and love it

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Not yet Capt...

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Just bought the Frabill Trekker DLX. Room enough for 2 comfortably, 3 if u have too. Comes with the travel cover. 600 denier fabric and very well made. Stay away from the China made Clams. You get what you pay for.

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:49 PM »
as far as fold down flat Portables go, myself personally, I think you can't go wrong with the Shappel Portables. I've seen a few that were 5 to 10 years old and still getting the job done ! Not to bash Clam intentionally, But there are a lot of guys taking about quality control issues with the clam portables, weak assembly bolts, seats grenading and poorly constructed tents ! I've been using my Frabill XL Twin for 10 years now with 0 problems, so I'm kind of biased as far as flip overs go !  ;D Good luck with your decision and Happy Holidays !
i agree with you! my buddy brought his clam flip over out yesterday that he bought last year and its falling apart!!allthough i dont have a frabil or shappel i know there better than clam!!i just bought the eskimo quickfish3 pop up portable havent used it yet but i cant wait!!

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:19 AM »
thanks for opinions... think i will go with one of the shappell's...i like the design and large windows !

Offline chilitokid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:01 AM »
my suggestion would be this: wait a few weeks until the season is in full swing and walk into a store or two with cash and barter with them. Last year before the tournament my buddy got a great deal on a clam unit. It was a display unit that was already set up. He bought a tow bar and cover (at full price) and still paid less than the clam's asking price.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Might be good to check them out on the ice too. I might wander around checking them out myself...

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I have a Frabill Prowler flip over 2 man and just love it!  My bud bought a Yukon last year and he likes mine better and so do I so??  Go someplace where they have alot of models set up, crawl in a few and see what fits you but I love my Frabill!

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:48 PM »
I'll check out both Frabil & Shappell... are they made in U.S.A ? (trying to buy American if possible)

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:30 AM »

I currently have the Clam Command Center. Second season, seats 8 comfortably, ease of set up and tear down...under 5 minutes. This "shanty" retains the heat...averages 70's in below zero temps. It is not of the quality that my old Clam pop up sled version was. Actually, the reports of quality control are found to be very true. We have replaced this unit twice due to pole snaps and shell tears..........Typical ly we use it to explore the big lake on day excursions and use a wooden house for main base activities.

Tight Lines!!!

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:05 AM »
It's too bad really, When Dave Gentz Came up with this Portable Shanty Concept and then teamed with Clam Corp, They had a good thing going ! Then the Corporate Greed Driven Bottom Line, reared it's Ugly Head and Clam moved their Manufacturing off shore to CHINA and the Very People that Dave Gentz envisioned helping, The American Ice Anglers are Paying the Price !! SLOPPY MANUFACTURING, LOW BUDGET CHEAP HARDWARE, AND INCREASED PRICES are driving Clam Corp right into the ground ! I realize the Clam faithful are not gonna be Happy with this Opinion, But they are also the ones posting about the problems that they are having with the brand new Clam Products ! I Really hope that Clam Corp can turn this downward trend around, but like all the other Greedy Corporations that we the American People, have to deal with nowadays, I just don't see it happening !! It's not just Clam Corp either, 95 percent of the ice gear we buy has the infamous Made in China stickers on it now ! Just my .89 cents

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Thats the model I have and love it

how would these fair in high winds like we have now?....or any type of wind?
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Hi See your from Newfound area... Is there any ice yet ?  Sounds like weather is going to warm up in the 40's for most of the week and mild over New Years..

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:27 AM »
parts are skimmed over....parts have 4" ......still to early in my opinion

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:20 PM »
how would these fair in high winds like we have now?....or any type of wind?

Just returned from fishing BIP ....bonanza day-4 dozen shiners gone in 3 hours...to answer your windy question, if they are anchored properly there are no issues. Well at least in my many years experience.

Tight Lines!!!!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:30 PM »
I have a Shappell  DX3000 and also a DX4000. Like Surf said, they do plow the snow. However, the 4000 has built in skis and that really helps!

BTW: Thanks James!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Just returned from fishing BIP ....bonanza day-4 dozen shiners gone in 3 hours...to answer your windy question, if they are anchored properly there are no issues. Well at least in my many years experience.

Tight Lines!!!!!

thanks dispy..........so whats anchored properly mean?.......how do you anchor yours?

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:56 PM »
thanks dispy..........so whats anchored properly mean?.......how do you anchor yours?

The easiest manner to which I have found is to use Timberlok screws instead of the stock anchors. A cordless drill makes it easy to lock 'em down and use large washers in each eyelet on the base.

One poster with the red house inspired me to buy some of those ratchet straps instead of the stock tie downs. great idea, quick, easy and sturdy.

Tight Lines!!!

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:00 AM »
The built in ski's on the Shappell Dx4000 sounds like the way to go .. thanks for the info.

Do any other maker's of ice shelters come with ski's ?

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:01 AM »
The built in ski's on the Shappell Dx4000 sounds like the way to go .. thanks for the info.

bought my DX4000 at the end of last season.  had it out four times since and LOVE IT.  i'm 6'8" and can stand up in it!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:05 AM »
parts are skimmed over....parts have 4" ......still to early in my opinion
The dark side (East) looked like the set of "The Perfact Storm" Monday. Huge swells and (surprise) very high winds. Going to be tough getting on for the 1st.

Capt. Black

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.