The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Bait Trap  (Read 7536 times)

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Bait Trap
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Just finished building a new bait trap.  About time, I started this puppy last season.  Kept putting it aside but made up my mind last week to finish it.

Gonna drop 'er in the pond tomorrow to try it out.  Got 200 shiners in the tank now, I hope to get that each time I pull this baby.
Dimensions are 24" x 24" x 14" tall.  Made with 1/4" hardware cloth, welding rods, aluminum and steel wire, ty-raps and scrap tubing.  I have maybe $10 cash into it but I can't count the hours!
Good luck this season to everyone, stay dry.

Paul

Offline Tomcatt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Bait Trap
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:48 PM »
That thing is sweet,, add cheese puffs and some mint chewing gum :o :o, and its on,,lol

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:50 PM »
That thing is sweet,, add cheese puffs and some mint chewing gum :o :o, and its on,,lol
You forgot Wood Pellets!! :woot:

Offline Tomcatt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:00 PM »
how do the fish get in?? ???

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:12 PM »
"how do the fish get in?? "

Through the 4 vertical slots (adjustable width) - one on each side.  Bait (I use dog food) goes in the round tube in the center.  I saw a similar design somewhere last year.  I thought it was a big improvement on the round minnow traps at Wally World.  I'll post some results in a few days.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:18 PM »
wow !!!

paul you been holding out on me.     that's not much different from what i use now.

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
wow !!!

paul you been holding out on me.     that's not much different from what i use now.

Jeremy - Your expanded steel trap inspired me to get off my butt and build something better than what I was using.
Hope to be seeing more of you beginning next month.  It would be good to come back, but it will put quite a crimp in my fishing this season.  Last winter ruled!

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:31 PM »

I sure hope you have your ice machine making ice over your way. not much making around me.

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:38 PM »
wow that puppy looks very durable...Nice job :)

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
here is a pic of what my traps look like befor they hit the water this fall. not as fancy as yours but getting the job done.

Offline Tomcatt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:41 PM »
 :thumbsup: :flex: :flex: :clap:

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:38 PM »
NICE LOOKING TRAPS,   I remember someone on here showing a cloverleaf trap a while back.  These are similar in design  Do you guys find that you catch more with this style trap over the walmar gee minnow trap style

Offline Tomcatt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I found out last year a black wal mart trap next to a vintage silver trap same size and shape the silver one beat the black trap every time?

Offline antlerdawg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:32 AM »
Nice work, I bet you catch more than 200 a soak with that beast though!  That'll fill up the bait tank!

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:53 AM »
I found out last year a black wal mart trap next to a vintage silver trap same size and shape the silver one beat the black trap every time?
I thought it was just me. Don't catch nearly as much in the black traps vs. the silver.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Great looking traps.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline FenDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Great looking trap. On second thought that is flipin' awesome....

How do you get them out of the trap? I'm thinking one door is going to be a bit challenging.

Around here people steal them often (I lost one already this year). At least with a beauty like that it would be easy to track down.

One more vote for silver here. Everyone I know catches less with black.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:51 AM »
Can you say patent
You just might be on to something there I dont think you can buy anything like that local

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Nice looking trap!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:35 AM »
How do you get them out of the trap? I'm thinking one door is going to be a bit challenging.

In theory - haven't gotten it wet yet - with the trap on it's side, rotate trap until all the bait is in the lobe with the door.  Open door and pour into bait bucket.  The space between the slots and the bait tube is three times as wide as the slot openings.  Anything that can get in should slide around without difficulty.  I thought about a door in each lobe but I'm thinking this will be the way to go.  Not to mention 75% less work making doors and openings!

Going down to the pond to launch this beast now.  Plan is to soak it 24 hrs but with the relatives coming over tonight I imagine my young nephew's and I will have to check on it.  I may have to tweak the slot openings till I'm catching the size bait I'm after.   

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:09 AM »
how did you attach your mesh to your angle iron.  I see alot of wire tires, wire, welding rod, but can't really make out how you attached the mest to the outside frame.  Get it to work and see how many you get.  I would like to see its results, also I hope your method of getting them out will work.  maybe just a opening in the top to get them out and dip em with a net. 

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Great minds think alike- I'm building one almost exactly like yours as we speak from a clover trap design I found on the net.  They do the door a bit differently.  Actually put kind of a double door on top.  The main door is almost as big as the top panel and lets you access the entire trap at the same time.  There is also a small door on top just for accessing the bait area.  I'm interested in how you did the angle/trim too.  I was debating putting some kind of edging on it myself.  Very nice.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:53 AM »
That's what I'm talkn' about  :clap:
Great Job!
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Holy cow that is a trap it looks like a palace for you bait very very nice work how often would you pull that Palace out
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:07 AM »
how did you attach your mesh to your angle iron.  I see alot of wire tires, wire, welding rod, but can't really make out how you attached the mest to the outside frame.  

The trap is not attached to the frame anywhere, it was an after thought.  As I got close to completing the trap I began to worry about how well it would hold up to the abuses of use and how to attach lifting points.  I want my stuff to look and work 10 years from now as well as it does today.  I decided to build a frame that the trap would nest snugly into and I could remove it for maintenance as needed.  I used some 3/4" square thin walled tubing (rusted inside and out) from my junk pile and ground off opposite corners to make the angle stock I was after.  Cleaned it up and welded the bottom and sides of the frame first, set the trap into it and then made the top and welded it on.  Lifting points on the frame eliminate strain on the trap.  
All but the very top of the trap is sewed together using aluminum wire and wreath wire.  Just a few ty-raps to hold things in place while doing this.  Talk about a time consuming PITA!  Once I placed the mesh top on the cage I could no longer sew it together so I wound the UV resistant ty-raps to it.  I think this is the weak point to it but there's no strain on them and they are easy to replace if needed.  
I had to keep telling myself that this is just a prototype, the next one will look and function much better!
Thanks for all the comments and concerns.  As for the door, time will tell how well it works.  I gotta say tho that if it goes as designed I think I'll be off the ice and on to other things while some of these other ideas are still fishing around trying to get the bait out of their trap. ::)
Peace on Earth and Merry Christmas!

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:41 AM »
how often would you pull that Palace out
I tell myself I won't need to pull it more than once a week, but I know I'll have to talk myself out of checking it twice a day.  The pond is 300' from my door.  Been getting shiners up to 6" in my old trap - a black wally world special with the holes reamed out.  I never used to worry about getting pike bait, never had any use for 'em, but last season I caught a 20# pike while perch fishing and I gotta admit that was fun!

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:47 AM »
As far as the door to get fish out goes...I have built traps to catch larger fish, like trout (for research).  It is really convenient to have a large door on the top (often the entire lid of the trap) that can be lifted up to net fish out.  It looks like a large and sturdy enough design that it could be done with relative ease.  Just a suggestion for the next prototype.  It makes getting fish out really easy!   8)
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline kezarking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:20 PM »
As far as the door to get fish out goes...I have built traps to catch larger fish, like trout (for research).  It is really convenient to have a large door on the top (often the entire lid of the trap) that can be lifted up to net fish out.  It looks like a large and sturdy enough design that it could be done with relative ease.  Just a suggestion for the next prototype.  It makes getting fish out really easy!   8)

what do u research? how big the openings have to be for  legal trout to fit in?? haha

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:23 PM »
You forgot Wood Pellets!! :woot:
I'm telling ya, they do work.. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.