Author Topic: question on what to use on tip up?  (Read 660 times)

Offline river rat 39

• IceShanty Rookie
question on what to use on tip up?
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:04 PM »
i am a newby at ice fishing, and not sure on what kind of line or hooks to use on a tip up. I am fishing the willow slough. I currently have braided nylon black in color 20lb test. I have been using an Aberdeen number 4 hook. what should i use? I would appreciate any help!

Offline MONSTERQUEST

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: question on what to use on tip up?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Tie a barrel swivel to the  braid to that a couple feet of 30# floro-carb with a #6 treble with a good size gold roach. When you get a flag if the fish feels heavy but comes to the hole easily watch out it will probably be a pike, be ready for a blistering run, great fun good luck.

Offline river rat 39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:11 PM »
thanx monster i will give it a shot!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:10 PM »
you can use the dacron all the way to the hook(bass n pike arent leader shy) or use a leader(steel or mono).  the hook size will be determended by bait size.  the bigger the baits the bigger the hook you'll need to get the hook ups. i bait up with small gills and perch so my hooks are 5-7/0 j or kahals hooks.  when you get a flag make sure the fish is running before you set on them!  some times pike will grab your bait run and drop it or sit with it in thier mouth. wait till it takes off again to set the hook.

i could go on and on about this but its bed time. good luck river rat. be sure to post your pictures for us to drool over. ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline floppiecroppie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:40 AM »
ive juststarted using tip-ups as well. im tieing a 3 way swivel to the main line, the 3 way has a casting weight with a snap on one side and a 6 lb. fl. carbon leader tiped with a minno on the other  end. snaps on everything let me take it all apart, less snags when tossed into the shantie with the other 150 lbs. of stuff i take.

Offline river rat 39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:18 PM »
thanx river scum. i will post pics as i have them

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:44 PM »
try frozen herring i watched guys wack pike with them on devils lake in dakota
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.