Author Topic: Mounting a seat into a jet sled  (Read 5406 times)

Offline icehawk92188

• IceShanty Rookie
Mounting a seat into a jet sled
« on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Being a senior engineering student, i have an idea of how i can mount a seat into my jet sled and i would like to get some feedback from people on here as to how they think it would work.

I would also like for people to bring up issues that they see with my design in case i have missed anything

Here are the parts i will need to make this seat--

1-square piece of 1/2" plywood that is as long as the inside of the sled is wide at the back of the sled
1-adjustable boat seat pedestal
1-swivel seat mounting base
1-boat seat
8-bolts/washers/nuts/etc

Procedure:

1. lay the plywood in the bottom of the sled , it should be a tight fit so that it is sturdy
2. mark out the bolt pattern from the pedestal onto center of the plywood
3. drill out pilot holes where these marks are
4. bolt the pedestal to the plwood and sled (bolt will come up through the bottom and nut will be on top, inside the sled)
5. bolt the swivel mounting base to the pedestal
6. bolt the seat to the swivel

My only concern at this point is whether or not the bolt heads on the bottom of the sled will catch on things and pull through the plastic
    --if this will be an issue i have thought about covering the bolt heads in silicon so it will protect them

I would love to hear any comments, questions, concerns, anything from anybody

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mounting a seat into a jet sled
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Why not recess the bolt heads in runners?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:53 PM »
I think with that tall pedestal, you are going to put a lot of stress on the jet sled where the wood is attached to the point that the screws/bolts will rip out and the sled will rip.

JMHO

MD

Offline icehawk92188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I think with that tall pedestal, you are going to put a lot of stress on the jet sled where the wood is attached to the point that the screws/bolts will rip out and the sled will rip.

JMHO

MD

The pedestal is adjustable and is only like 16" at its tallest position, and i was thought that if i made the piece of plywood big enough it would support the rocking back and forth

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Try it.  Have a 160+ fisherman sit on it and lean back.
Nothing like a little product testing.

MD

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I guess plywood wouldnt be my first choice in the bottom of a sled.  I would span the sides the the sled like the Otter seat mounts.  Or you could just put a 5 gal bucket on the back of the sled and put a seat on that.  Then its removeable.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Other then has been mentioned about the bolts possibly pulling through the bottom. I guess it would work. Question though...wouldn't a 6gal. bucket with a swivel seat be better?
Several reasons being:
1. It is removable
2. Storage space that is not exposed to the elements
3. a 6gal bucket will be that high
4. A bucket will be a lot lighter - that seat alone will make the thing top heavy - high center of gravity

Just some more things to think about
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Being a Registered Professional Engineer, I think you should read the comments from the posters above and re-think your design  :)

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:38 PM »
construct a bracket frm 1/8" aluminum and a backer plate for each side of the sled. weld a pocket to the plate that a section of square tubing cut to the width of the sled will fit in. Mount your seat in the center of the tubing. Drill the ends of the tubing and side pockets to accept a pin to prevent spreading when u sit. By using square tubing it will allow u to stand the sled on end for use as a windbreak and still insert the seat upright so u can sit. If  u can't follow my rambling and you're interested in this idea let me know and i'll try and explain it clearer.

Offline Lazurus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2021, 07:55 PM »
I realize this post was old, i like this idea but I am considering adding an Attwood pedestal seat base and post on plywood, then i can remove the post and the seat so i can transport it easier.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Make sute you use fender washers on the bottom of your sled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.