The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice report for west michigan  (Read 4727 times)

Offline ICEMAN14

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice report for west michigan
« on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:35 PM »
lookin to see if anyones found any safe ice yet wanna get out this coming week, ive found a few lakes with ice just that noones been on them yet, let me know what youve found!
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice report for west michigan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:11 PM »
walked out on a NE Kent County lake by my house this afternoon.  Got out about 25 feet and things started cracking.  Think I'll wait one more week.

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Be safe and wait until the end of the week. sure to be safe ice by then.
                    hunting for Ole marble eyes

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Hey blueyes question for you. I used to fish a spot I got too by going through douglas by the golf course and heading back along the kazoo river towards the big lake. All private land at the end of the drive, but guys used to just walk through seasonal cottage properties to get on the ice. I can't remember the name of it, but it had monster pike and great panfishing. Any idea if this place is still being fished? I'm not sure if landowners are still cooperating. It's been years since I've fished it, but I'd sure like to try it again this year if I can. Thanks!

Offline matt93pgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Sounds like my honey hole! the fish there have the black spots on them, I don't know exactly what it is but i don't think its good eating.

Waiting for Macatawa to freeze over I did most my fishing there last year and did pretty well. I got a new clam 5600 to try out this year I'm sure it beats freezing on a bucket!

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Don't be afraid of the black spots Matt, they fillet right off. I've put way more dangerous stuff in my body than that! LOL

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Don't be afraid of the black spots Matt, they fillet right off. I've put way more dangerous stuff in my body than that! LOL

MMMmmm, it sure is hard to beat a fish with a good grub population living in it  :unsure:

But ya they won't hurt you, just cook em up good.   ;)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:43 PM »

Yea isnt that the truth lol...  :o

MMMmmm, it sure is hard to beat a fish with a good grub population living in it  :unsure:

But ya they won't hurt you, just cook em up good.   ;)

Yep just cook em' up good and youll be fine otherwise I should be long past dead now.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Hey blueyes question for you. I used to fish a spot I got too by going through douglas by the golf course and heading back along the kazoo river towards the big lake. All private land at the end of the drive, but guys used to just walk through seasonal cottage properties to get on the ice. I can't remember the name of it, but it had monster pike and great panfishing. Any idea if this place is still being fished? I'm not sure if landowners are still cooperating. It's been years since I've fished it, but I'd sure like to try it again this year if I can. Thanks!
This lake you speak of is out by oval beach I believe and is still there dont know anyone who fishes it and its a long hike to get there!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Ahaha I'm 680 miles from west Michigan and I know of a public lake that in Kent County that has VERY fishable ice!!!!!  :P :P :P
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Ahaha I'm 680 miles from west Michigan and I know of a public lake that in Kent County that has VERY fishable ice!!!!!  :P :P :P

well then all you need is a private jet to get there and you can quit testing your jigs in a beer mug ;D I also have a spot that I will be on this wed. hope to post pics. hope all is well down south CP :bow: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Just had to razz the guys a little bit. Yea know isnt doing me a lot of good.

Things are good here! Chilly and it snowed 2 inches! You would have thought it was the end of the world!
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »

I wonder if it's the same lake I'll be on this weekend???   ;D
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline matt93pgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:58 AM »
those black spots are grubs??? Also they are inside of the meat too.

my honey hole is a L shaped small lake with a couple islands in it. I park right up to it so im guessing its not the same one. I'll be at tibby's this weekend hopefully. went to check the ice there last weekend and it was slushy but about 4 inches. this week should freeze most small lakes good enough.

Offline jake_t327

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Some people fishing on North Bayou of Hamlin Lake in Ludington. I haven't been out there yet but I will this weekend. I went out on a couple other lakes in Mason County last weekend but no ice on either of those. I heard there's some ice on Lincoln Lake as well.

Offline Mr. Skunked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 PM »
WENT TO A LARGE LAKE IN CENTRAL ALLEGAN COUNTY TODAY AND IT HAD ABOUT 2" OF GOOD BLACK ICE BUT HAD OPEN WATER ABOUT 80 YARDS OUT OVER A DEEPER HOLE.   I THINK ILL WAIT AWHILE EVEN THOUGH ITS GETTING HARD TOO DO SO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.