Author Topic: Best Ice fishing reel  (Read 30374 times)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Re: Best Ice fishing reel
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:01 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Sahara 500s and 750s, Sedona 500s, if you want to spend some serious money the syemter 500 will set you back about $100. All great reels.

Unfortunately Shimano stopped making the 750 size ... now all they make are the 500 and 1000 (and up) ... got a few leftover Sahara 750s on Clearance from Dick's for $30 each and a few Sedona 500s ... hands down my fave micro reel!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:15 AM »
You can still find 750 Shimano reels here and there.  Seen them at Mills Fleet Farm and Dicks Sporting Goods as well.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline weavs85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:25 AM »
I really like the okumas they hold up well and tend to be smooth if you go with the higher end ones

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:44 AM »
   I like the  "Bro" Reel from Frabill . Comes with a large diameter spool for small diameter lines , less line coiling .  Has a smooth drag , easy folding handle and is priced right .   Comes with Frabill subzero lube already inside . 

I have a couple Okuma Hardstones , not bad for the $20 I paid for them .  They need a bit of hotsauce or they get stiff outside . 

Mitchell Avocet II Gold Is a good reel for around $40 .    Couple drops of hptsauce here and there and its fine for cold use . 

Only reel I will not buy is a Tica Cetus , overpriced junk .  Good luck with customer srvice , youll need an interpruter .   I have had the whole rotor fall off fighting a fish .  Quality reels have a screw locking the nut that retains the rotor , not tica .   

Overall , I am not impressed by expensive reels for ice fishing .  Your not casting over and over .  I dont need some expensive line winding system or rotor balancing system .  A smooth reel with a good drag works for me .  Less money spent on reels , equals more money spent on rods .  I would rather have a $80 custom rod that allows me to feel the lightest tap from a bull gill .   Than an expensive reel , that wraps the line pretty .  Once the fish is on its all the drags job .......
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Overall the entire system is always limited by it's weakest link.  I do agree that a rod is the primary focus.  Good reel on cheap rod is only so so.  Cheap reel on good rod is only so so.  Good reel on good rod, then you are able to reap the benefit of both.  When you're not encumbered by something, the whole of everything will work better together.

I could care less about how smooth a drag is, if the line is lopsided on the spool, it's a terrible fishing reel in my opinion.  Ice fishing reels are still a long ways from fulfilling their best performace.  Many reels can use a much more shallow spool.  I really shouldn't have to put so much backing on them.  The reels that fill that nich, are way expensive into the $200+ range - namely some Diawa's and Shimano's exclusively available in the Japanese market.  Too rich for my blood and only more $$$$ as sacrafice to the ice volcanoe gods.  ;D  Expensive reels will always approach the point of diminshing returns. 

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Actually I've found that a smooth drag is VERY important ... many of the places I fish have 5lb+ largemouth and big lakers that will hit my #14 + #16 micro jigs while panfishing with 3lb. Sufix Ice for gills, crappies, and perch ... so a smooth drag gives me a fighting chance to land these fish AND get my jig back.  Without a good drag system I'd get SPANKED!

On a side note ... I refuse to put a cheap piece of junk on my Thorne Bros. rods, or even my Frabill Ultra Ice or Panfish Popper for that matter!  Most of the so called "Ice" reels I have owned are indeed junk ... HT + Frabill reels, you can keep em!  I'll stick with Shimanos since they've NEVER let me down!

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:06 PM »
uglystik

Ugly sticks are the only thing I buy now. I break everything else. If I can't play around with it without breaking it then it deserves to be broken and garbaged by me before a fish does it. XD
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:10 PM »
.I like the Shimano Symetre 500 FJ very smooth and lite but also never had a problems with the Okumas

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Shimano Stradic 1500

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Abu Garcia Cardinal, haven't had a problem yet. good price too

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I have a smaller Pflueger President that I use year round for pan fishing and I love it.  I've had it for about 3 years now and never had a problem with it.  I just move it from my 9' whuppin stick to my ice rod and good to go. 

I got a couple of those Shakespeare Ladyfish Ice Combos for my 2 girls last year and they seemed to work fine as well.

That being said, I might have to check out those accucasts.  I have a couple more rods that need new reels.

Offline Ludwikowski21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz ........
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:30 PM »
The two reels I use for ice fishing is the Tica Cetus and the Shimano Sedona.  Very nice reliable reels and not to pricey.  The only thing on the Cetus is to make sure you go with model that has a metal spool.  I have had two of their plastic spools fail on me.  I contacted Cetus and they sent me metal replacements.  Good customer service.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:10 AM »
  I've fished with litterally hundreds of guys on the ice here in upstate NY, never seen a shimano tica cetus out fishing and never seen one in a wholesaler, is it a midwest thing ?  I got rear drag shimano 1000's on my slip bobber poles to give the rod even more noodle action for fun... like the one guy said, they just reel up line, my drag is set at the max , so don't need drag anyway. Back reel if I half too...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:14 AM »
i use cheap reels for the ice ,shake spear sigmas and i beat the tar out of them ,use them for perch and eyes ,and i fish with the snagger and i use the almost zero drag deal ,without back spooling hitem hard and reel fast  ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:39 AM »
 I've fished with litterally hundreds of guys on the ice here in upstate NY, never seen a shimano tica cetus out fishing and never seen one in a wholesaler, is it a midwest thing ?  I got rear drag shimano 1000's on my slip bobber poles to give the rod even more noodle action for fun... like the one guy said, they just reel up line, my drag is set at the max , so don't need drag anyway. Back reel if I half too...

Never seen a Shimano Tica Cetus? Niether have I ... that's because Shimano is one company and Tica is another ... totally different companies and totally different reels.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:56 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I thinkt it's only a matter of time before the Shiman Tica confusion was gonna come out.  Could've been worse.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:04 PM »
;D ;D ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I thinkt it's only a matter of time before the Shiman Tica confusion was gonna come out.  Could've been worse.

Well then I'll re state my statement .... I've never seen a Tica Cetus reel , fish with tons of guides , tons of hard core upstate ny ice guys, looked through many wholesalers since I sell tackle at my Fishing Lodge and have yet to see one in person...  If there so good, how come no body is selling them around here, probably more everyday fishermen per square mile here than anywhere in the country.

I'll ask again is it a midwest thing ?  Just wondering is all, always curious about fishing equipment...

http://gotfishingrodsandreels.com/pro1354602.html  looks good ,

but unless I'm giving my money to an american worker , I'll stick with the 9 dollar reels..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:04 PM »
 ;D

I've personally don't see my friends using Tica's or Shimano's.  Everybody likes to use something different.  One of them is a Pflueger guy the other is an Abu Garcia guy and one guy is just dirt cheap guy but he puts his money into cars.  I'm a Shimano guy, but only becuase I do more research into my reels. I'm also the only guy who would actually on occassion open his own reel up to oil and grease them after a year or so.  I'm the one with the reels still working from 10 years ago while my buddies would buy new reel just about every other year or so.  I do buy new reels too, but to add to my collection not replace broken ones. 

It's also very hard for me to take the word from the sales guy.  I use to work retail too and I knew everybody else would push sales $$$ before product quality.  Best is still an opinion becuase nothing is perfect.  If it were, nobody would have anything patented and nobody would be sueing base on patent infringements and such.  All I do know is Pfleuger used to be the reel but now it's Shimano.

Furthemore everybody has different style of fishing and comes with different levels of experiences.  Any of my fishing buddies have four to five times more fishing experience compared to me.  They're content with just any fishing equipment.  I have less fishing experience so I require better equipment to level the playing field with them.  While the more expensive equipment I use probably wouldn't help my friends that much, it helps me greatly.  I no longer try to figure out what's best subjectively, but only what's best for me.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:14 PM »

Heres when reels were made by American's and I didn't mind paying up for a reel.

These days be cautious, don't always get what ya pay for.
 Now that everything is made over seas sometimes a $15 reel is built better than a 50 dollar reel..
Those Ht accucasts I got 2 years ago are as good as my Fluger Trions and  a 3rd the cost...

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #49 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Uh.... Snagger, isn't that a vintage 1960s - 1970 Abu Garcia Cardinal?  If so, is that not made in ... SWEDEN???  I could be wrong, but I know a thing or two about reels every now and then.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #50 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:33 AM »
  Heres when reels were made by American's and I didn't mind paying up for a reel.

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that everything is made over seas sometimes a $15 reel is built better than a 50 dollar reel..
Those Ht accucasts I got 2 years ago are as good as my Fluger Trions and  a 3rd the cost...

Where exactly do you think Abu Garcias are made Snagger?

Offline Ludwikowski21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz ........
« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I agree with SlipperyBob on the maintenance of Shimano.  I have had my Shimano Sedona's going on 10 years and they still work and look great.  I get the same quality out of my Tica Cetus reels and that is what I like about them and the fact that they are a little cheaper.

Maybe the Cetus's are a midwest thing.  I have gotten all my Cetus reels through Thorne Brothers.   

I use the Cetus's on my UL panfish rods and my Shimano's on my medium action walleye rods.

Lud

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #52 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:13 AM »

Agree once you learn how to back reel you will never use the drag again, plus drag twists the heck out of your line, back reel no twist. You could tie 2 lb line to a crotch rocket motorcycle to my rod and reels and you could never break the line on me in a 50 yard run..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:17 AM »
 ;D  I only use my back reel skills on my fly reel now. 

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:15 AM »
I have four Abu Garcia 101's.   I like them a lot, no problems so far and the price point was perfect for me when I picked them up.   

I recently picked up two new rods and will likely grab some reels for them as well.  In addition to the Abu Garcia reels, I will also take a look at the Tica Cetus, Pflueger Trion, Shimano Sahara/Sedona and the Quantum QVex.   I want to stay under the $50 mark and hopefully closer to $30.   Price will most likely be the determining factor for me in this case.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of those reels [or anything over $50 in the smaller size if you want to get something even better].

Offline WYfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:27 PM »
The red abu garcia level wind reels, not sure of the model, good for all types of fish, never fail.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:40 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I agree with you I just bought 3 HT ACCUCAST spinning reels on sale for $9 a piece they feel a good at my $80 one, got them for the grandsons, time will tell .  And the reel in the picture looks like a Zebco Cardinal 4 , I've got 4 of them and 2 three's haven;t used them for a while but there as good as new.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:51 PM »
LMAO on the Accucasts!!!!!!  I'm sorry, but if you think an Accucast is as good as a Pflueger, well, you aren't hardcore, and your guide buddies probably don't know jack either.  Yeah.  I said it.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #58 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:09 PM »
The HT Accucast I own is total junk ... China crap... not even in the same dimension of any Shimano, Pflueger, or Abu Garcia I own.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I can't bash the HT reels because I will be bashing my fishing buddy too.  >:D >:D >:D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.