Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 22, 2014, 05:56 PM
MyFishFinder.com
Just like iceshanty but warmer

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Best Ice fishing reel  (Read 10105 times)

Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Just Fishin'
Re: Best Ice fishing reel
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I'd think what you get would depend alot on what you're fishing for. Also up there in Saskatchewan you deal with some hardcore cold so even with a quality reel you probably need to give consideration to what is the best lubricant to use that won't gum up. Regardless in a really harsh enviornment like you folks deal with, a quality reel will require more than normal maintenance to remain reliable.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular

• There's one!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Currently using all Pflueger Trions (20 series on lighter/smaller setups and 25 series on the larger stuff).  Have heard nothing but good things about Tica Cetus in the many posts I have read.  I plan on Teca's probably next season 'cus I have already spent too much this year and I haven't even gone to the Ice Show yet.  That's sure to be a few bucks before i'm out the door.
 ;D

craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I'm a fan of the Tica Cetus LE 500 series reels. Comes with 2 metal spools and super smooth. Got them on my 5 poles fror the ice.

Craig

bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:42 PM »
so far this year...REALLY loving the ross and powell fly reels i put on a couple rods...absolutely NO TWIST, and as good or better drag as compared to my _____ spinning reels (insert, tica, shimano,abu, or pflueger here- i've got em' all)   ;D

craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:51 PM »
got pics? I thought about going the fly reel route but I haven't convinced myself yet, especially since I have 5 main rods I use.

Craig

Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Where's Waldo?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I have owned many different HT, Frabill, Pflueger, Daiwa, Abu Garcia, Pinnacle, Okuma, Tica, Fin Nor, Quantum ... but now I will only put my money on Shimano, hands down my no.1 favorite.  The Shimanos outlast every other brand I have (or more like had!) 

For most of my ice fishing, I use mostly Sahara 500s and 750s, Sedona 500s, and occasionally a Symetre 1000 and 2500. 

Open water I use mostly Stradics and Sustains in the 1000, 2500, 3000, and 4000 sizes.

Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Fly reels are real good to use for pan fishing. No line curl. The ones I used many years ago were metal. they would conduct a lot of cold. I picked up one at Cabela's a few weeks ago with the employee discount , 14.00. It's a sweet Cabela's 4,5 wt. composite material with a real decent drag. I mounted it on a St. Croix legend. It's a little bit wider then the old Schooley's, but, very smooth. It won't be long, I'll have a chance to check it out. Good luck to all ,& travel lite first ice, Don.

PIRATE PERCH

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:25 AM »
I use the tica sb 500 on a few of my rods also the Pflueger Trion4520 gx, and the President 6725 all great reels in my opinion.
No Place I'd Rather Be!!!!

Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:47 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Sahara 500s and 750s, Sedona 500s, if you want to spend some serious money the syemter 500 will set you back about $100. All great reels.

jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Oathkeeper
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:57 AM »
The Tica Cetus line is hard to beat for qaulity and price. I have them on all but one of my rods and when that reel craps out its getting replaced with a Cetus.

J-

Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Where's Waldo?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:01 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Sahara 500s and 750s, Sedona 500s, if you want to spend some serious money the syemter 500 will set you back about $100. All great reels.

Unfortunately Shimano stopped making the 750 size ... now all they make are the 500 and 1000 (and up) ... got a few leftover Sahara 750s on Clearance from Dick's for $30 each and a few Sedona 500s ... hands down my fave micro reel!

slipperybob

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Live Trap: So far just a fishermen lure
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:15 AM »
You can still find 750 Shimano reels here and there.  Seen them at Mills Fleet Farm and Dicks Sporting Goods as well.

For more information read my MN nice journal

weavs85

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:25 AM »
I really like the okumas they hold up well and tend to be smooth if you go with the higher end ones

highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:44 AM »
   I like the  "Bro" Reel from Frabill . Comes with a large diameter spool for small diameter lines , less line coiling .  Has a smooth drag , easy folding handle and is priced right .   Comes with Frabill subzero lube already inside . 

I have a couple Okuma Hardstones , not bad for the $20 I paid for them .  They need a bit of hotsauce or they get stiff outside . 

Mitchell Avocet II Gold Is a good reel for around $40 .    Couple drops of hptsauce here and there and its fine for cold use . 

Only reel I will not buy is a Tica Cetus , overpriced junk .  Good luck with customer srvice , youll need an interpruter .   I have had the whole rotor fall off fighting a fish .  Quality reels have a screw locking the nut that retains the rotor , not tica .   

Overall , I am not impressed by expensive reels for ice fishing .  Your not casting over and over .  I dont need some expensive line winding system or rotor balancing system .  A smooth reel with a good drag works for me .  Less money spent on reels , equals more money spent on rods .  I would rather have a $80 custom rod that allows me to feel the lightest tap from a bull gill .   Than an expensive reel , that wraps the line pretty .  Once the fish is on its all the drags job .......
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

slipperybob

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Live Trap: So far just a fishermen lure
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Overall the entire system is always limited by it's weakest link.  I do agree that a rod is the primary focus.  Good reel on cheap rod is only so so.  Cheap reel on good rod is only so so.  Good reel on good rod, then you are able to reap the benefit of both.  When you're not encumbered by something, the whole of everything will work better together.

I could care less about how smooth a drag is, if the line is lopsided on the spool, it's a terrible fishing reel in my opinion.  Ice fishing reels are still a long ways from fulfilling their best performace.  Many reels can use a much more shallow spool.  I really shouldn't have to put so much backing on them.  The reels that fill that nich, are way expensive into the $200+ range - namely some Diawa's and Shimano's exclusively available in the Japanese market.  Too rich for my blood and only more $$$$ as sacrafice to the ice volcanoe gods.  ;D  Expensive reels will always approach the point of diminshing returns. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Where's Waldo?
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Actually I've found that a smooth drag is VERY important ... many of the places I fish have 5lb+ largemouth and big lakers that will hit my #14 + #16 micro jigs while panfishing with 3lb. Sufix Ice for gills, crappies, and perch ... so a smooth drag gives me a fighting chance to land these fish AND get my jig back.  Without a good drag system I'd get SPANKED!

On a side note ... I refuse to put a cheap piece of junk on my Thorne Bros. rods, or even my Frabill Ultra Ice or Panfish Popper for that matter!  Most of the so called "Ice" reels I have owned are indeed junk ... HT + Frabill reels, you can keep em!  I'll stick with Shimanos since they've NEVER let me down!

SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular

• ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:06 PM »
uglystik

Ugly sticks are the only thing I buy now. I break everything else. If I can't play around with it without breaking it then it deserves to be broken and garbaged by me before a fish does it. XD
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:10 PM »
.I like the Shimano Symetre 500 FJ very smooth and lite but also never had a problems with the Okumas

redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Shimano Stradic 1500

IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular

• If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Abu Garcia Cardinal, haven't had a problem yet. good price too

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved