New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414142 times)

FrankM

Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2130 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:56 AM »
The terms jack perch and grass perch are local folklore and don't really apply to specific species. A large perch is called a jack perch and a small perch is called a grass perch.  At least that's what they call them in this area.  When they are babies they are grass perch and when they grow up they are jack perch.  Personally I think the perch in Lake Erie are a different genetic strain than those in Chautauqua.  Perch from the Allegheny River drainage have more of a snub nose than Lake Erie perch.  Perch from Cuba Lake, The Allegany River and Chautauqua  all appear to me to have that snub nose characteristic.  I hope that doesn't make me a perch racist.

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:11 PM »
The terms jack perch and grass perch are local folklore and don't really apply to specific species. A large perch is called a jack perch and a small perch is called a grass perch.  At least that's what they call them in this area.  When they are babies they are grass perch and when they grow up they are jack perch.

Frank is correct "catchin perch". It could be that there are too many perch and not enough food for them to get to the "jack" perch size.

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2132 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:15 PM »
To the guys in the orange hut on the Burris bay webcam....... u guys are nuts be careful out there. Extended forecast showing 40s and above. I hope I at least get out a couple times. It's looking like it's gunna be a while

Offline jrp123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2133 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Saw a pic of a 3.69lb crappie caught at long point in the buffalo news today

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2134 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Didn`t see it but that`s impressive to say the least! State record??? 

Offline Killiansred

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On a mission to do some fishin.
« Reply #2135 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:25 PM »
The crappie was one ounce shy of the state record. Still a slab.
Owner/Operator of Killian's Welding Service
Mobile Welding Solutions

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2136 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:26 PM »
What's the average  ice thickness at Chatauqua lake? Thinking about making a trip from Pennsylvania!
: )

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2137 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:09 PM »
Pic of the monster crappie on the DEC website too. Its on the fishing hotline page.

I think technically their all yellow perch.

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2138 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:56 PM »
About perch size,fish size is dictated by how large their body of water is,there are also variable factors such as structure,forage,weeds and more.Invasive species also play a role but if all these factors are minimal then more often than not all fish species should be above average size.Take the goldfish as an example,in their fish bowl they basically grow to the proportion of the bowl,however the same species will grow much larger than in the bowl when in a pond or lake.I think the fact that so many weeds are removed from Chautauqua,that the perch has less plankton and insects to feed on under cover.The perch take longer to reach larger size due to the fact that their always being hunted by larger fish that feed on them and they have nowhere to escape.This is what I've read anyway,it sounds plausible to me.

F4W

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2139 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:56 AM »
51 out with a steady rain and high winds. Recipe for disaster. Stay safe if you venture to the lake the next few days. Going to take a walk at daylight to see how bad the shore got.

Offline vicfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2140 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:49 AM »
me and a bud fished long point yesterday had 11 crappies over twelve inches=many on honey worms my personalfavorite panfish bait from berkley look just like wax worms but you can catch fifty fish on the same one and they need no refrigeration.wouldnt leave hone without them

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2141 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Congratts to the dude that landed the big crappie. Even though he waited a day before a official weight and , it's a state record any way you look at it

Offline Bobbyh80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2142 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Anyone know what the ice at long point looks like with this rain ?

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2143 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Was it a white or black crappie?,is one bigger than the other?

F4W

Offline bassman2003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2144 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Anyone going out on Saturday? 

Offline TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2145 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:49 AM »
tooks a drive down to fish. i aint going out on the ice after the warm

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2146 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Whites are bigger then blacks, did the ice hold up guys.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2147 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Was it a white or black crappie?,is one bigger than the other?

F4W
White crappie are slightly bigger then Blacks.  Whites have 5-6 spines in the dorsal fin whereas blacks have 7-8 spines in the dorsal fin.  Whites have black spots in vertical bars on their sides whereas the black have black spots randomly spaced on their sides and the dorsal fin is further back from the head on the white crappie.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2148 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:09 AM »
 Fished Chautauqua  many years ice fishing until catching nothing but dinks . 5 or 6 years ago caught keeper 8 -9 1/2 perch .They used to be loaded withfresh water schrimps. ( at lease thats what i thought they where ) wondering if that bait is not there any more causing the lack of size ? does anyone see that bait in the fish any more ?

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2149 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:18 AM »
All the fish I've caught this year have been pushing up bloodworms. Perhaps those are what you're thinking of.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2150 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:57 AM »
From my point of view this am a guy could make a good buck with a grill and cooler at long point.  Shanty Ville.

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2151 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:45 PM »
From my point of view this am a guy could make a good buck with a grill and cooler at long point.  Shanty Ville.
I often thought about how much money I could make pulling a cart out there selling hot dogs and burgers...

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2152 on: Jan 15, 2017, 02:27 PM »
I'd also bring a rod and a auger for when you run out of food ;D ;D ;D ;D The grill will keep you warm!

F4W

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #2153 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Fished Long Point for the 1st time this year..ice was apprx 4.5 inches. It was making a lot of noise out the with all the cracking of the ice. Lots of huts and people. Many people without creepers, and many of them fell. Hope everybody is OK. Fishing was great...if you like 5 inch perch! It was a nice day on the ice, to bad the results weren't better.

Offline realtree77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2154 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:54 PM »
New to the walleye fishing through the ice. What type of jigs do ya use? Is jigging or tip-ups more productive and what's the bait of choice for them. I fished all weekend out of long point and guys where saying they where catching them but I caught nothing but perch. That was fun but no real size to them

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2155 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:49 PM »
New to the walleye fishing through the ice. What type of jigs do ya use? Is jigging or tip-ups more productive and what's the bait of choice for them. I fished all weekend out of long point and guys where saying they where catching them but I caught nothing but perch. That was fun but no real size to them
you should check out the walleye section of ice shanty lots of helpful tips

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2156 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Hey guys how's ice holding up with this warm rain. I now shore ice was getting bad had to go out off docks. Like to go in am , any info would be good , thanks be safe

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2157 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Hey guys how's ice holding up with this warm rain. I now shore ice was getting bad had to go out off docks. Like to go in am , any info would be good , thanks be safe

Chautauqua county sheriffs office has warned anglers to stay off the ice last i heard. haven't heard of anybody out the past 2 days.

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2158 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Ok rynn thanks , just came back from new abion Amish guys fishing catching big blue gills thanks for info

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2159 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Ok rynn thanks , just came back from new abion Amish guys fishing catching big blue gills thanks for info
Those gills are gonna be a distant memory soon... I'm 10 minutes from there. Lake had just started to come back hope the bigger gills can make it through this season. It's gotten so much pressure already this year. Way more than usual for some reason. Wish I could give a report for Chautauqua. But I'm gonna wait until the cold returns. Stay safe if you go out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.