Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Apr 30, 2017, 08:20 PM

Fly the Team Iceshanty Flag! Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 156425 times)

waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict

Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2120 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:27 PM »
agree

Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2121 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:49 PM »
I'm thinking the amount and size of the walleye population should put a dent in them perch. May take a few years but it's going to happen.

bassman2003

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2122 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I will say every fish I catch is very healthy in Chautauqua lake.  The walleye, largemouth bass, smallies and panfish like crappie and bluegill are eating well.  I dont mind the perch in the lake.  The trouble is that when you fish Lake Erie and catch a day of everything 12+ inches with some 14" the dinks that you catch can be aggravating.  I have 2 kids and when they can catch their share of dinks it makes their day.

thinicewallyhunter

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2123 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I will say every fish I catch is very healthy in Chautauqua lake.  The walleye, largemouth bass, smallies and panfish like crappie and bluegill are eating well.  I dont mind the perch in the lake.  The trouble is that when you fish Lake Erie and catch a day of everything 12+ inches with some 14" the dinks that you catch can be aggravating.  I have 2 kids and when they can catch their share of dinks it makes their day.

True that

OTTER119

• IceShanty Rookie

• Walleye Boss, Team Smelly
« Reply #2124 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Haven't been up for a few winters.
Any idea about Pretendergast ???

May head to Chautauqua if Kinzua blows out from the rain and melt this weekend. :P
If I was a boat fisherman that sucked so badly that my whole summer of fishing sucked, I would blame it on those ice fisherman guys.

TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2125 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:57 AM »
Thank you for everyone helping me. Son and I fished lp yesterday. Lil hard walk, but we got about 35 perch and threw back a lot more. Helped out a few fella s whos shanty went for  a drift with wind.
alls my lures are gold. aint no fish ever want to spend time with no silver and copper. i da big fish round here.

Pole-ska

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2126 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:59 AM »
I feel Deja Vu from last year. Never made it out because a decent cold streak was always ruined by a warm spell the week that i could actually go!

you guys think it will hold up at LP for this weekend. Its not very often i get a kitchen pass nowadays and i did a ton of chores to give myself a free weekend! haha

TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2127 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Dunno - It was start to get sloppy when we left and windy. I would b careful if u go.
My son caught a silverish fish yesterday. Not no crappie. Guy next to us said it was a shad or striped bass?
Kept losin our bait down there too. lot of little perch not big enough to try to clean. gots about 35 7-8 inch fish for the family.
alls my lures are gold. aint no fish ever want to spend time with no silver and copper. i da big fish round here.

TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2128 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:12 AM »
agree
thank you for the bait shop info waltman and places to go on the lake. we had a nice time.

catchin perch

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2129 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Does anyone know if the perch in Chautauqua are the same strain as in Lake Erie? If different then that could be why they are a much smaller.

Frankie Bags

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2130 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Chautauqua has grass perch...Lake Erie has jack perch. At least that's what my dad used to tell me many years ago.

FrankM

• Team IceShanty Regular

• um day
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:56 AM »
The terms jack perch and grass perch are local folklore and don't really apply to specific species. A large perch is called a jack perch and a small perch is called a grass perch.  At least that's what they call them in this area.  When they are babies they are grass perch and when they grow up they are jack perch.  Personally I think the perch in Lake Erie are a different genetic strain than those in Chautauqua.  Perch from the Allegheny River drainage have more of a snub nose than Lake Erie perch.  Perch from Cuba Lake, The Allegany River and Chautauqua  all appear to me to have that snub nose characteristic.  I hope that doesn't make me a perch racist.
I try to think but nothing happens!

Frankie Bags

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2132 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:11 PM »
The terms jack perch and grass perch are local folklore and don't really apply to specific species. A large perch is called a jack perch and a small perch is called a grass perch.  At least that's what they call them in this area.  When they are babies they are grass perch and when they grow up they are jack perch.

Frank is correct "catchin perch". It could be that there are too many perch and not enough food for them to get to the "jack" perch size.

Deadhead88

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2133 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:15 PM »
To the guys in the orange hut on the Burris bay webcam....... u guys are nuts be careful out there. Extended forecast showing 40s and above. I hope I at least get out a couple times. It's looking like it's gunna be a while

jrp123

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2134 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Saw a pic of a 3.69lb crappie caught at long point in the buffalo news today

dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2135 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Didn`t see it but that`s impressive to say the least! State record??? 

Killiansred

• IceShanty Rookie

• On a mission to do some fishin.
« Reply #2136 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:25 PM »
The crappie was one ounce shy of the state record. Still a slab.
Owner/Operator of Killian's Welding Service
Mobile Welding Solutions

Mknott

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2137 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:26 PM »
What's the average  ice thickness at Chatauqua lake? Thinking about making a trip from Pennsylvania!
: )

IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2138 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Pic of the monster crappie on the DEC website too. Its on the fishing hotline page.

I think technically their all yellow perch.

FISH4WISH

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2139 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:56 PM »
About perch size,fish size is dictated by how large their body of water is,there are also variable factors such as structure,forage,weeds and more.Invasive species also play a role but if all these factors are minimal then more often than not all fish species should be above average size.Take the goldfish as an example,in their fish bowl they basically grow to the proportion of the bowl,however the same species will grow much larger than in the bowl when in a pond or lake.I think the fact that so many weeds are removed from Chautauqua,that the perch has less plankton and insects to feed on under cover.The perch take longer to reach larger size due to the fact that their always being hunted by larger fish that feed on them and they have nowhere to escape.This is what I've read anyway,it sounds plausible to me.

F4W

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved