Author Topic: Snowmobile Trailer Deck Replacement  (Read 18993 times)

Offline beefer39

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowmobile Trailer Deck Replacement
« on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I bought a used Triton aluminum snowmobile trailer that needs the deck replaced. According to Triton’s website the factory decks are “Marine Grade Fully Treated “ plywood.
I purchased Green treated plywood as there doesn’t seem to be marine grade available in Brandon, but I read last night that green treated plywood will corrode the aluminum. If the corrosion is pitting it’s probably no big deal, but I don’t want to set myself up for problems down the road.

Any input regarding the use of green treated or a source of marine grade plywood near Brandon would be great

Thanks

Beefer

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snowmobile Trailer Deck Replacement
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:23 PM »
is that trailer manufacturer still on the number 1 , south of the highway near the mcdonalds? Maybe pop in and see what they say.

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:55 PM »
pressure treated wood does corrode aluminum, you should not use it with your trailer because it will cause you problems down the road. You can buy regular plywood and seal it with spar urethane or bondo fibreglass resin but you would need to to put a coat of paint over the resin or the UV rays will eat it up. Some people use thompson's water sealer to seal plywood but I have heard that it is garbage and doesn't last very long

Marine plywood will cost a lot more than regular plywood.Sealing regular plywood is cheaper

Offline strik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:13 PM »
 Hello
   GMONEY is 100 percent right i work with P/T all them time i have seen people who build a deck with reg nails and in 3 years the deck is lose. The      only way you can use P/T is if you wrap it like you would a post before you put alum cladding around it.
   You are best off to find marine grade but i think you will find that cost to much. if you get reg ply like 5/8 or 3/4 us bin primer or kilex primer at least two coats then paint with regular paint three coats do both sides and do ALL sides especially where you cut. when installing the floor use silcone in the hole before you add the nut and bolts or screws. if you do this i sure it will last for years i had mind for 5 years now and use mine year round (it could use a new coat of paint)
best of luck with what ever you decide :tipup:

Offline whiteshellman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:13 PM »
triton trailers as far as i know come with lifetime warrantys. Check with a dealer. My 2008 has lifetime.

Offline beefer39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:00 AM »
After doing some more research and with the help from some of the posts [Thank You] I forged ahead yesterday as my wife was due back at suppertime last night and I thought it would be in my best interest to have my trailer out of the garage, have the garage cleaned up and her car back in.

Here’s what happened.

I stripped the old deck off the trailer and cleaned the aluminum with an abrasive pad and then used duct tape to isolate any area that the treated wood was going to contact the aluminum and installed the treated.  I was just letting her car warm up for a minute when she got home.

Note: The Triton website says the trailers have a 5/8” Marine Grade Treated Plywood deck. My trailer is a three place tandem axle and the channels that accept the plywood would only accept ½” so in needed to notch the edge so it would fit in.

My plan is to use it as is for this season and remove the treated in the spring and replace it with marine grade and find some sort of sealer for it. My buddy in the lumber business suggested linseed oil. FYI….my reading suggests that if marine grade is unavailable then exterior Douglas fir is the next best bet. Exterior plywood is void free on the outer layers, as opposed to marine grade which is void free in all layers. Both use waterproof glue. Good One Side [GIS] plywood is more suited for interior applications3

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it

Thanks for the responses

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.