Author Topic: Glen's Outdoors Hub Style Portable (with Pics)  (Read 15132 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Glen's Outdoors Hub Style Portable (with Pics)
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 04:19 PM »
So I recently ordered one of the new hubs from Glen's Outdoors (one of the IS Sponsors). I sold my Clam Base Camp which was from 2008 for practically the same price as I paid for this brand new one. I liked my Clam but mine only had one door and the zipper always made me nervous. It felt like there was so much tension on it. I set up my Glen's Outdoors hub today and it's great. It has two doors, which I love, with zipper flaps. And these doors don't have the one long curved zipper, they have two straight zippers which puts less strain on the zipper. I think that will help keep them working good for a long while.

I like the color scheme on this hub, it's nice to see a little different look. I like the reflective tape on each side near the hubs. Makes them even more noticeable in bad weather or poor visibility. And each hub on the outside has a strap with a buckle to attach to the ice anchors. I'm excited to try these out. We all know tie down ropes don't work well and are a hassle, so I like that they are trying something new. If they don't work great, I'll just go back to bungees.

The hubs seem to be of solid construction and someone from the company said on a different thread that someone that used to work for Clam helped design this one so he knew all about the ones that were failing in some of the Clams. Hanging from the roofs hub is an accessory clasp that could be nice for a light, lantern, or fan.

Also on the inside, there are large mesh compartments over head to put random things in (clothing, hats, gloves, tackle boxes, etc.) Each side has a large side pocket with a Velcro flap.

This hub has very large windows, the largest I've seen.

They also have window ties so when you have the windows open, you can tie up the flaps so they don't interfere with anything.

There is also two vents on the roof to circulate some air in and out.

So all in all, I like this hub a lot! I believe it said it weighs 28 pounds with the bag. The carrying bag seems to be made of the same material as the Clam bag, the only thing I think I'll miss about the Clam is the shoulder straps on the bag so you can wear it as a backpack. This one just has handles, though I almost always carry it in my sled, it's nice to have options. So if anyone's in the market for a new hub, don't look over this one. Great hub, Great price, fast shipping (came in 2 days!), and best of all they are currently offering free shipping to IS members. Take a look and good luck fishing this winter!!!  :tipup:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=156287.0

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Glen's Outdoors Hub Style Portable (with Pics)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Nice to hear from an owner. Your pics are even more helpful and informative.
These new hubs seam to be quite an upgrade. Maybe "State of the Art"
          Thanks for posting as it helps us all.

Tom

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Yeah, that was my hope, that this helped some people. I saw them and liked them and took the chance of not seeing them in person. But I'm satisfied and glad I did!

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:38 PM »
so the hubs are different than the ones your basecamp had? they look near identical to the ones in the summit.

i do like the 2 zippers per door idea.

and i like the tie downs aswell, almost the same as the old ice cubes(much better than the shoe laces ones)

i was thinking about getting the one man for those solo days and you cant beat the price!

i wonder if the shipping includes us folk in canada? anyone know?

thanks for the first hand info mnbass

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I ordered the 6 man 5 minutes ago.  Thanks for the pic's and the info!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:07 PM »
You made me feel better about the one I have on the way.  I ordered the 3 man on Monday.  Along with my first flasher.  Also the fact that it is below zero outside.  I'm ready to go. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Maybe Dana @ Glen's would like to thank MN Bassfisher for the sales he has generated.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:43 AM »
You made me feel better about the one I have on the way.  I ordered the 3 man on Monday.  Along with my first flasher.  Also the fact that it is below zero outside.  I'm ready to go. 
Nice! Yeah, it's a nice hub. You'll be happy. What flasher did you pull the trigger on?

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 02:06 PM »
So I recently ordered one of the new hubs from Glen's Outdoors (one of the IS Sponsors). I sold my Clam Base Camp which was from 2008 for practically the same price as I paid for this brand new one. I liked my Clam but mine only had one door and the zipper always made me nervous. It felt like there was so much tension on it. I set up my Glen's Outdoors hub today and it's great. It has two doors, which I love, with zipper flaps. And these doors don't have the one long curved zipper, they have two straight zippers which puts less strain on the zipper. I think that will help keep them working good for a long while.
(Image removed from quote.)
I like the color scheme on this hub, it's nice to see a little different look. I like the reflective tape on each side near the hubs. Makes them even more noticeable in bad weather or poor visibility. And each hub on the outside has a strap with a buckle to attach to the ice anchors. I'm excited to try these out. We all know tie down ropes don't work well and are a hassle, so I like that they are trying something new. If they don't work great, I'll just go back to bungees.
The hubs seem to be of solid construction and someone from the company said on a different thread that someone that used to work for Clam helped design this one so he knew all about the ones that were failing in some of the Clams. Hanging from the roofs hub is an accessory clasp that could be nice for a light, lantern, or fan.
Also on the inside, there are large mesh compartments over head to put random things in (clothing, hats, gloves, tackle boxes, etc.) Each side has a large side pocket with a Velcro flap.
This hub has very large windows, the largest I've seen.
They also have window ties so when you have the windows open, you can tie up the flaps so they don't interfere with anything.
There is also two vents on the roof to circulate some air in and out.

So all in all, I like this hub a lot! I believe it said it weighs 28 pounds with the bag. The carrying bag seems to be made of the same material as the Clam bag, the only thing I think I'll miss about the Clam is the shoulder straps on the bag so you can wear it as a backpack. This one just has handles, though I almost always carry it in my sled, it's nice to have options. So if anyone's in the market for a new hub, don't look over this one. Great hub, Great price, fast shipping (came in 2 days!), and best of all they are currently offering free shipping to IS members. Take a look and good luck fishing this winter!!!  :tipup:

Is that the three man you have? if so will it really fit three men/Yoopers? Thanks for the great review. I'm thinking about getting one after Xmas.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Yeah, it's the 3 man. It's 6X6, I'm not sure how much space ya take up but tape out a 6X6 area on the floor and see how much gear/buckets, you can arrange.

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:57 PM »
we have tried to fish 3 people in a 6x6 and it CAN be done but it is tight. i usually assume if its a 3 man, realistically its 2 comfortable. itt also depends on how much gear you plan to have in the hut as well.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Bassfisher I ordered the SD Troller.  After the new hub I really couldn't get more of a flasher.  I think I'll be happy for the money that I spent on both. 

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I guess I get to test the warranty.  One of the white ball/hinge pieces broke on mine when I set it up...

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I guess I get to test the warranty.  One of the white ball/hinge pieces broke on mine when I set it up...
Really? That's unfortunate. Well let us know how the warranty works for you. I was just hoping I'd never have to find out myself, but it would be helpful to know.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Got mine today at work.  Took me about 30 seconds to set it up(UPS guy wanted to see it).  I am very happy with it.  It was a heavier frabric than I expected.  When I was taking it down it almost didn't want to go down because all the air trapped inside.  I popped a couple of walls in and it just kind of slowly deflated.  Guess I'll have to leave a door cracked when I pop it down.  For the price this is a great value.  Now I just need to go get some battery's so I can fire up the SD Troller that I ordered with it.  Oh ya I'm not getting anything done a work today.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Hey bassfisher, I see you are in White Bear.  My inlaws live in Shoreview right on the north end of Turtle lake.  Next time We make a winter trip(or summer for that matter)  We'll have to hook up and wet a line.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Hey bassfisher, I see you are in White Bear.  My inlaws live in Shoreview right on the north end of Turtle lake.  Next time We make a winter trip(or summer for that matter)  We'll have to hook up and wet a line.
Yeah, let me know if you make it up this winter! I'm hoping to be out a lot!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Alright I spoke to soon.  So I got my new Glen's Hub yesterday.  Set it up in the shop before the UPS guy left.  Everything looked great.  I'm happy.  Then at the end of the day one of my coworkers comes into my office with a nut.  Hey I found this on the floor where you set up your new hub.  So then last night I had to pull it back out and check the hubs so I could find where this nut goes.  Well it didn't go anywhere all nuts were in place.  So thanks Dana for the extra hardware, I figured I would make you sweat a little thinking there was a problem.  Yes I did set it up in the living room to show the wife.  My 3 year old wanted to sleep in it last night.  Might have to get the 1-man for her.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Here is a picture of my broken peice.  You can see how the plastic cracked and broken piece.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:43 PM »
My 6-man version arrived today.  I'm very impressed.  The fabric is many times better than my current portable.  I bought the Cabelas ice tent kit a few years back and the fabric from Glen's blows my old tent away.

The mesh pockets in the 2 walls and ceilings is a nice touch.

I forgot the free shipping and it is still the best deal in shelters.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Yeah, they are very nice! AND they're a sponsor of IS so it's nice supporting them. It's like landing two fish with one hook!  ;D

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Sounds like the hubs are getting good reviews so far, but did Glen's already increase the price an extra $10 in the past two weeks since their post on 11/16???
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Glen-s-Elite-Outdoor-Series-3-Man-Portable-Fish-p/geo3.htm

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:41 PM »
He's probably running out of them.  Had to slow down demand.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Glen's has one less in stock as I got my order in and it ships today.

Thankx fellows, for the pics, reviews and comments.

Tom

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:12 PM »
you are going to like it gator.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:24 PM »
I sorta remember a quote from Will Rogers "Make sure you're right, then go ahead". That, plus the input here made me pull the trigger.
And like you, adam_mcd, I'm gonna' be looking for extra hardware since as a mechanic (ret.) am in need of all I can get - two just isn't enough on thin ice.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I wasn't looking for it.  It just appeared.  Mad me a little wonder a bit.  But all was good.

Offline Dana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything Ice Fishing!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Sounds like the hubs are getting good reviews so far, but did Glen's already increase the price an extra $10 in the past two weeks since their post on 11/16???
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Glen-s-Elite-Outdoor-Series-3-Man-Portable-Fish-p/geo3.htm

We had to raise the price on them to stem the tide a little.  We didn't want to finally have ice and no houses to sell.  If anyone was looking at getting one in the very near future I could probably arrange the sale price to be had....

If anyone is interested, I have a black and gray Thermal version as well that runs $199.95.  They won't make it to the site due to some idiots(me) under-forecasting of their sales.  But if anyone would like one of the 10 I have left let me know.
Glens Army Navy Store
701 NW 4th St
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Toll Free: 1-888-525-1201
Local: 218-326-1201

[email protected]

GlensOutdoors.com

Follow Us on Twitter @GlensOutdoors

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Great, now I want the thermal one. Haha, the price of the 3 man hub was right for me though! I can't wait to get it out on some ice. I think I'm going out sunday (pending the weather this week), I might have to give it it's test run!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:56 PM »
I think if I bought any more the wife would have me sleeping in it on the lawn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.