Author Topic: wawasee  (Read 1116 times)

Offline perchching

• IceShanty Rookie
wawasee
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I am looking to try a few new lakes this year and have always first ice in the channels at wawasee were awesome. I usually fish culver when channels freeze but really want to try wawasee. It is a hour and a half drive for me, but dont mind that at all.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: wawasee
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:30 PM »
I am looking to try a few new lakes this year and have always first ice in the channels at wawasee were awesome. I usually fish culver when channels freeze but really want to try wawasee. It is a hour and a half drive for me, but dont mind that at all.

They can be good, but not sure they are any better than the maxi channels.  The big problem at Wawasee is parking.  Unless you know someone or have parking permission in someone's driveway you will have to trespass to get on the channels.  I have seen alot of guys run off and have the police called on them for parking along the road or in someone's drive they thought was not home.  So many people have parked without permission down there, it is nearly impossible to get a homeowner to grant you permission anymore.  A few idiots can ruin a good thing for those that try to go about it the right way.  The only channel down there I know that is not surrounded by houses is Chinese gardens and I don't think many decent fish are caught there.

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Theres a couple places you can park with no problem and fish the channels. The north channel is problably the hardest to get access to bc its all private and you do have to know someone that lives back there. But like anywhere and anytime be smart and courteous on where to park like stated above a couple of idiots can ruin for everyone ;)

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Chinese gardens is not worth the trip!!!     As wax said access is the big issue for Wawasee,  after the main lake freezes you can park at the ramp, but bring your walking shoes! ;D

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Chinese gardens is not worth the trip!!!     As wax said access is the big issue for Wawasee,  after the main lake freezes you can park at the ramp, but bring your walking shoes! ;D
Chinese gardens isn't worth an hour and a half drive but if your close it can be...I slayed em their last year at first ice a couple of slabbers most med size keepers there are alot of dinkers in there but at first ice im just happy to be out there

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Must agree with Wax and Fishin-fiend, the Gardens are not worth it. You can get some decent ones but it takes ALOT of sorting

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Everytime I have ever went by Chinese Gardens,all they ever catch there is dinks... :tipup:

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Everytime I have ever went by Chinese Gardens,all they ever catch there is dinks... :tipup:

I think you have to get there within the first few days the ice is safe! Atleast thats what a few have told me... you can get 7.5"-8" gills then, but its a narrow window. After that its dink city!! I never mess with it because by the time I get a report on it, the dinks are bitin lol!

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:25 AM »
thats the only time i go to chinese gardens is the first couple of days of good ice and ive caught some pretty good gills in there early ice...its one of the first places that freezes over too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.