The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best hand ice auger?  (Read 19172 times)

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
Best hand ice auger?
« on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:00 PM »
So, I'm planning on buying myself my first hand auger for Christmas. I'm tired of having to rely on my dead beat buddies waking up on time so we can get out on the ice. I'm interested in something with an 8" blade. Money really insn't a factor because I plan on it being a life-long investment. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for out there?

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best hand ice auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Gotta go with a NILS.  They make 8 inch versions in a hand auger.  skinneytrucker posted a video on youtube with a side by side comparison with a NILS and an eskimo.  He cut 17 inches of ice in 31 seconds without breaking a sweat.  you can search the video on youtube.....enter nils hand auger for the search and it will come up.  BTW I paid $140 for mine.....a little pricey for a hand auger but they are worth it.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Nils, hands down.

Offline Shienar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EVERYONE GET BENT
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:58 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154190.msg1507853#msg1507853
have a read here same question
4 pages of reply's and i think i posted the link for skinnytruckers vid there

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Go to the ice auger sub-forum.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I use Strikemaster w/ swedish blades. Cuts great.
Would like to try a Nils. Understand the flutes are narrower so its faster.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2010, 04:14 PM »
So, I'm planning on buying myself my first hand auger for Christmas. I'm tired of having to rely on my dead beat buddies waking up on time so we can get out on the ice. I'm interested in something with an 8" blade. Money really insn't a factor because I plan on it being a life-long investment. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for out there?
Sounds like you need to ask for some new fishing buddies also! ::)
Fish on!

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Ive seen a Nils hand auger beat "an un-named" (lol) gas auger

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Nils Dude!!! :flex:

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:43 PM »
I haven't tried a Nils  but hear good things. I have tried the Strikemaster Lazer and can say it rips through the ice or at least it does with the swedish blades.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:02 PM »
My partner and I had a little race on first ice last year with my 8" Nils and his 5"Lazer, wasnt much of a race, Nils easily won.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I used to use a 6" Mora.  Then last year I got a 6" Nils.  Two different leagues here.  Never tried a Lazer but I know the Nils is a drilling machine.  Fin

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Consider a Normark Fin-Bor. I bought one last season after getting tired of the finicky cutting head on the nils. Its basically a strikemaster lazer with an offset handle like a nils. You get that double cranking action which is key. It takes the same blades as a strikemaster lazer which are way cheaper than a new nils head and easier to find, as well as more durable.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Nils!

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:18 AM »
NILS!!
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:28 AM »
I would like to get a power auger, but it isn't in the budget. I will probably be going with a 6" Nils.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:18 AM »
Sounds like you need to ask for some new fishing buddies also! ::)

I was goiing to say the same thing!  I had fishing buddies like that years ago.......don't fish with em anymore though!  Got tired of waking them up when I showed up at the house to pick them up and then sitting in the car for 30 minutes waiting for them to get their stuff ready! 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:01 AM »
A 6 inch Nils is an excellent choice.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I would like to get a power auger, but it isn't in the budget. I will probably be going with a 6" Nils.

If you REALLY want a power auger, you may want to consider the 8" nils hand auger for now... You can buy the power head separately down the road. It drops right on their 4 1/2", 6" and 8" hand augers.

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:45 AM »
i just got off the phone with Carmen from strikemaster , getting replacement blades for my lazer 5'' that came with china blades , they are sending me a set of the sweedish blades @ no charge. its strikemaster for me just for the customer service.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:25 AM »
  Fin Bore , if you can get used to the handle , it will smoke anything out there .   Its kinda tricky to use , but the design gives you double the power as both arms are turning the bit .  Instead of holding a knob at center , both arms are exerting force on the blades , twice the power with half the effort .....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:26 AM »
  Fin Bore , if you can get used to the handle , it will smoke anything out there .   Its kinda tricky to use , but the design gives you double the power as both arms are turning the bit .  Instead of holding a knob at center , both arms are exerting force on the blades , twice the power with half the effort .....

NILS also has this handle design
Ronald Reagan

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Strikemaster used to sell, as an aftermarket, the offset handle for the Lazer.  Does anyone know if they still do?  They don't have them on their site anymore....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Why would you stay with a company that try's and slip junk blades to customers. Sure they will replace them but why not put the good ones on there in the first place. The best customer service is one you never use.....Guessing for everyone that complains theres 10 that don't and buy new blades themselves making the company more money.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2010, 01:13 PM »
NILS also has this handle design

Yes it does indeed. However the Nils handle also flexs and the grips pinch your hand. (at least they did to mine) Not to mention the junk cutting head cover on the 8" version of the Nils and the steel is thinner on the Nils than the others I mention below.

I have owned/own Strikemaster, Jiffy, Normark (Finbore) and Nils and IMO the Normark is the better overall auger out of all of them hands down all things considered.

Strikemaster used to sell, as an aftermarket, the offset handle for the Lazer.  Does anyone know if they still do?

I bought a set of offset handles last season. I would call or e-mail Strikemaster I'm sure they have some yet. If not contact Normark or Mora of Sweden some of their offset handles will fit.

Offline cobalt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Can an offest handle be purchased for a Mora Auger???!?!?!?!?!
how do you  make four 9's equal 100

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2010, 02:19 PM »
How bad is the ice in your area?  If you have never had problems with sand or dirty ice from car slush, then go with a Nils. Blades are hard to come by (quickly) and they are expensive so make sure you take care of them! The offset handle of the Nils sure makes a big difference. Otherwise I have heard great things about the Strikemaster Lazers, and blades are really easy to come by.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2010, 02:34 PM »
No matter the brand always carry an extra set of blades. True a Nils replacement costs more up front but costs less to have sharpened and will last much longer than the competition as long as your not drilling on dirty ice then no shaver blade will last very long.Since switching to the Nils 3 years ago I have yet to have it sharpened or to use my spare head, when I owned a Strikemaset I could count on replacing blades once a year.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Can an offest handle be purchased for a Mora Auger???!?!?!?!?!

Yes you can put offset handle on a SM Mora however I would advise against it. The reason being the Mora augers turn much harder than the Lazer augers and a has a flatter blade angle which should be kept as perpendicular to the ice as possible.

Offline cobalt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Yes you can put offset handle on a SM Mora however I would advise against it. The reason being the Mora augers turn much harder than the Lazer augers and a has a flatter blade angle which should be kept as perpendicular to the ice as possible.
If you start it straight and maintain the line it should be in good shape right? Or, is it more likely to shift due to the off set handle?
how do you  make four 9's equal 100

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.