Author Topic: Two man shanty  (Read 2589 times)

Offline encore50

• IceShanty Rookie
Two man shanty
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Trying to decide between Frabill Trekker 2 or Clam Nanook?  Opinion? State your case!

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Two man shanty
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:27 PM »
If you are looking to fit more than yourself in a shelter go see if you can find a 4 man Shapell. It's like the Taj-Mahal of shelters. Plenty of space if you've got WIGGLY kids with you. ;D

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:37 PM »
I fish out of a 4 man. As the specs, per manufacturer. I believe that most advertise that 4 holes means 4 man. Mine is a 2 man supershack oh, sorry, I should say 4. However never more than 2 fishing. SWEET

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Trying to decide between Frabill Trekker 2 or Clam Nanook?  Opinion? State your case!

The nanook looks nice, but I have never understood the kindergarten seats that it come with?

Steuben1

Offline jtf19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I have the Nanook and love it. No complaints whatsoever. Plenty of room for 2, but also easy to drag and setup if you're by yourself. :tipup: :tipup: -Jeff

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:08 PM »
I fish out of a 4 man. As the specs, per manufacturer. I believe that most advertise that 4 holes means 4 man. Mine is a 2 man supershack oh, sorry, I should say 4. However never more than 2 fishing. SWEET
Yeah I hear you. I've SQUEEZED 4 in it once to see how well it worked. Fortunately it was my wife and 2 kids becuase it was.......cozy. It is awesome with just 2

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:20 PM »
i have the trekker and absolutely love it.the only bad thing about it is it weights around 90# empty.but if you have an ATV or snowmobile to tow it,then now problem.you can fall asleep in those seats. they are great.

Offline encore50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2010, 12:45 PM »
I went with the trekker 2 ,litle bit more room than the nannook, Really happy with it .Waiting for ice.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I also have the trekker 2 and it is an awesome shanty. this is from the frabill site with specs on it... Not 90 empty and feels less than the 71 lbs

Model #6120
Style Flip-Over
Fishable Area 50" (l) X 58" (w) X 67" (h)
Max Occupants 2
Seating Type Padded Stadium Seats
Insulated No
Set-Up 83" (l) X 58" (w) X 67" (h)
Folded 58" (l) X 33" (w) X 18" (h)
Pounds 71.0000

The seats are really comfortable.Not a thin crappy pad,thick and will let you sit all day.I can use a small radiant heater and take my suit jacket off... JT

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:08 AM »
nanook, looks nice but why do bait stores or retail stores always seem to carry the more expensive shantys than some of the cheaper ones 300$ is alot of money for one

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:30 AM »
I bought my Frabill Ranger XL Twin 10 years ago and it has taken Everything that Mother Nature and myself have thrown at it and shrugged it off !It has more than enough room for 2 of us ! I had it out in 45+mph winds last year and it saved the day and we brought home fresh fillets for supper when everyone else packed it in ! If I ever have to replace her,  :'( I'll get the Frabill Commando, I really like the new features of it, heavier, deeper sled, stronger, thicker poles with twist locks and heavier tent material ! Good luck in your search !
FLAAAGGGGG !!  :tipup:  :roflmao:

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:44 AM »
Hello,
Just bought a Comando. What is this twist lock feature you speak of?
Scott

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:47 PM »
The one I sat in at Cabelas had a knurled twist lock to unlock the frame poles to extend them  ?

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Ok.  Got kind of a dumb question...

When I am in the shelter, should the front bar touch all of the way to the ground?  I aqm afraid that I did not give enough slack when I screwed in the back of the cover.

Offline Budweiser8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:43 AM »
no - i prefer to have mine about 2 in off the ground... fights off wind better when the tent is taught..

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I have a solid 4-4.5" above the ground. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I have a solid 4-4.5" above the ground. 

Should be on the ground.  otherwise on a windy day you will get snow blowing in your holes or they will continue to freeze from the cold air blowing in.  If you plan on sight fishing you want it as dark as possible in the shanty.  Something is not right if it is not on the ice when flipped over.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:03 PM »
I adjusted the cover to add some slack.  Now the bar comes within an inch of the ground.  The skirt seems like it will it cover OK .  Put some super glue over the holes.  Let me know anyone has another idea for covering up the screw holes.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I adjusted the cover to add some slack.  Now the bar comes within an inch of the ground.  The skirt seems like it will it cover OK .  Put some super glue over the holes.  Let me know anyone has another idea for covering up the screw holes.

Black Gorilla glue tape.  Put a peice on the inside and out of the hole.  It will stick better at room temp, but once it is on there it should not come off.  If your shanty cover is black it should blend in where you wont even notice it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.