Author Topic: wood stove  (Read 2340 times)

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
wood stove
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:38 AM »
i was just on you tube and someone made a shanty stove out of a mailbox. anyone ever seen this before. seems a lil chincy for what i want. I'm thinking of Fabricating one out of an old propane gas grill tank any thoughts?

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Re: wood stove
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Yes  make sure its empty first! Have seen the mailbox stove and think its junk! Also isn't against the law to use a mailbox like that? And the propane tank stove works great, having seen people on here that have made them.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Propane Buddy Heater!  (low oxygen shutoff)
single tank heater if insulated
double tank heater if not insulated.
A 20lb tank with the optional connection line last me all season long.(Big Buddy dual tank with optional 20/40lb connection run on low in permanent and high in portable shack)
I would imagine two 20lb tanks would last most people all season.
It's just used to knock the chill.  Some on iceshanty are on the ice more than 40 hours a week and I bet they suggest the propane buddy heater.

NB

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I have a Buddy heater and if you get low on air you wont die and does not smoke up the place. And it still get the shanty as warm as a wood stove and the heater come in different sizes.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Fishingwithkids  I also have a Mr buddy heater love it. I had a permanent shanty with a wood stove it's a lot of work Propane rules!!!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:12 PM »
seems like wasted energy using wood stove. 20 pound tank heater lasts all season

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I've got a Buddy heater for the portable and The Big Buddy for the hardside...Like woodstoves but propane tank stays outside, saves the hastle of lugging out enough wood to last an overnighter or waking up to relight the wood stove when it dies out...just my opinion...

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Fishingwithkids,

I also fish with my kids.  This is a $60 investment I wouldn't be without.
Combo Fire/CO2/Gas detector that runs on batteries.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100003545/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It just adds piece of mind.  I heat with a Big Buddy heater and I can be talking with others outside while the kids are toasty warm inside and I don't have to worry about low oxygen, Monoxide, or Propane puddles.(keep sensor close the floor, because propane leaks puddle to lowest spot)  Just remember to change the batteries often or take new batteries out with you in the event it needs new ones.
This can also be plugged in for those who run a small 2000/3000 watt generator.

A bit pricey, but hey, it's for the kids.  And keeps us all safer.  

Let me also ADD!  I take this device with me now when fishing/trolling in cold weather on my boat with full camper canvas.
I went out with my daughter one time and it was early am, early spring and it was cold out. <50 and drizzling.  Had the camper canvas on and the exhaust fumes filtered back inside at trolling speeds.  Called it an early morning after that.  
Nasty headache after only a few minutes.  Quickly took down the front section of camper canvas to create a cross breeze.  I bring the sensor onboard now when fishing in cold temps and using the cover.  The headache came after getting the fresh air.  Monoxide poisoning will sneak up on you..It was hardly noticeable when I got it.  after a few minutes, I looked at my daughter and said do you feel that, she said yah, what is it?  It didn't take long..  Quickly unzipped the canvas to let in fresh air.  after another few minutes of fresh air, that's when the headache came. not during the monoxide ingestion..  Nasty stuff, nasty headache.  let me tell you.  We weren't exposed for very long and all is/was ok, but for those who don't use a sensor on boat or shack, or even in your homes, YOU SHOULD!  I now have em everywhere.  People tend to think 'Oh, that'll never happen to me, I'm too smart for that. I'll pay attention" ,Yah right!  I consider myself pretty aware, but after that incident, I know first hand how this can be such a silent killler. The only reason I felt this coming on, is because I knew it was possible for the exhaust back draft, so I was paying extra attention to any feeling of being light headed.   Don't think it can't happen to you, cuz it CAN!

You can never be too careful.

NB

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2010, 05:01 AM »
We've used a wood stove for the last 15-20 years and it is a bit of work bringing the wood out every weekend but....a wood stove fire is great. We also have a Big Buddy Heater on hand that we can use if we run out of wood. We haven't had to use the heater in the shanty yet. If you get the Big Buddy Heater spend the extra to get the long hose. Then you can leave the tank outside. Good luck with your decision, you can't "lose" either way. Just my $.02.

Capt. Black

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:14 AM »
I got a Mr. buddy years ago to use in the hardshell and found that it was too warm even on low(well insulated) so I keep it for when we lose power in the home, it works great for keeping the kitchen/livingroom area heated. In the shack I have a coleman two burner stove with one burner on low is fine with the windows cracked open for ventilation.

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:22 AM »
thanks for all thi input guys ! im finding it very helpful

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.