Author Topic: Four wheeler for ice fishing  (Read 33750 times)

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Four wheeler for ice fishing
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Here is mine.

rickl1968

« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Now thats cool!

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Nice! I'm jealous.

Offline The Hobbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2010, 01:19 AM »
NICW Osakis!!! Cant wait untill I can have something like that! One of the things im really worried about is tip up transportation... any other ideas?
Tight Lines!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:10 AM »
I use mine all the time especially early and late ice. pull the wheeler to the lake in my trailer than pull the trailer out which is also an ice shack.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Mikefix,
You are posting the thumbs instead of the big picture. Copy the address for the big ones or remove the letters thumbs/ from
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/531/thumbs/Tracker_2010.JPG

You can go in to each of your posts above by selecting edit (or modify) and remove the letters I posted in red.

This is one of your pics after removal:

Hey, That looks like my Sidekick!  ;) Same color but no tracks though I drive it on the ice all the time!
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Now thats just nifty LOL ;D
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline 1buckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:19 AM »
I have a polaris sportsman500 and built a rack on the front for the ice auger and I used 2 pieces of pipe on the rear rack for my flip over ice shelter that way I can carry all my equipment in the back of my truck. I don't have a trailer. I would be glad to send you a picture later when I get it ready for fishing.
  I would aslo like to see the setup of the rear rack. I don't have a trailer either and that might just be the setup I am looking for.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:37 AM »
I love my tracks for the quad, I have only had them out once in the snow this year in about a foot of powder. They work awsem, The only complaint is that they don't steer so great untill you slow down.
(Image removed from quote.)

Just got another 8" of snow last night. Hopefully get some good ice soon.

Those are the  Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks, aren't they?  I am looking into a set of those for my quad. Unfortunately they'll have to wait for next year.  From everything I've read and heard, the Tatou's are the best of the best. 

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Here is mine.

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a sweet setup! What size is your wheel house and how does your 4 wheeler do pulling it?
Thanks

Offline Five Trap Limit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Im glad you posted this. I too am building a wheeler for fishing and was wondering what the best auger holders would be. I guess I will be looking at the maddogs referenced in pryor replys. Im also wondering if anyone has mounted a one mill candle watt light and how they did it?
My machine is coming allong. freeking expencive though.
Ive got most of the big stuff out of the way. Hand and thumb warmers, windshield, tracks.
Now i need a couple of boxes (make them myself) and auger holder and a way to carry the pack basket upright. I like the bucket holder on one of the other pictures. I wonder if it could be mod for a pack basket.
This is it so far.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Here's my 2008 Can-Am Outlander. I'm not too far from where I start driving to my shack so I just carry the auger on my lap, if I'm going any distance I'll strap it to the rack.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:59 PM »
For the 40 or 50$ the Mad Dog Auger rack costs, I think it should be a heck of a lot better, I am not at all impressed.  It works, but velcro?  Give me a break. 

Personally, if I had to do it over again or I need to replace mine, I'd get Ryans ATV Rack and just plan on using bungee cords or build my own, but I don't have the equipment available to fabricate stuff most of the time..

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2010, 01:13 PM »
those tracks are pretty badass. ive seen some videos of trucks with those things on them and there awsome. they go through anything.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2010, 02:29 PM »

This is me on my buddies, I have a polaris 800 efi, that I am tracking...I love them...for longer runs though, like thirty forty miles one way, not good, need a sled for that...

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:45 PM »

That is a sweet setup! What size is your wheel house and how does your 4 wheeler do pulling it?
Thanks

It is a 6.5 X 14 wheel house. It weighs about 2900 lbs. The Polaris Ranger HD(heavy duty) pulls it no problems. The tongue weight for the house is about 300 lbs so it will squat a couple inches when I first hook it up but the self-leveling rear shocks on the HD bring it right back up after I have driven a few feet.

Offline gbfdcapt4b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Here is my set-up. The 4 wheeler pulls the shack out on the ice. I have an auger scabbard, bait cooler on the back, bucket on front for supplies, and enough room on the front rack to take the electronics (flat screen TV and DVD player) to the shack.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:39 AM »

Heres a pic of my ice rig .   If your looking for an ice auger rack , give Strikemaster a look .  They handle one thats very nice and easily mountable .  Augers are big investments and need a solid rack .  For other accessories I would give Cycle Country and Otter a look .  Both offer lots of great accesories ready to bolt on .....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:04 AM »
nice looking rig. Love the color and the set up.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2010, 01:30 PM »
This is my shanty.

this is my 200lb four wheeler

this is a video of the shanty folding down and the four wheeler pulling it away.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=Shanty.flv

shanty folded down.

The shanty weighs 332lbs and is 8x8 with over 6 foot high ceiling.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I have a 1990 Yamaha Big Bear 350, ten speeds forward (5 High range, 5 Low range) plus reverse.  It's my mule.  She works as a snow plow, log skidder, deer hauler, and for fun she goes ice fishing, and a rare trail ride.  My auger, and spud go into the dual gun racks on the front.  Small gas can on the front rack.  The shack get hooked onto the tree stand rack in the back, the sled hangs on to the shack.  I can also hang a couple of buckets from the tree stand rack too!

She's a good old girl.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I just put a bait cooler rack on today.

pic of the auger without powerhead in the holder. It works very well

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:15 PM »
How do those track rigs work for getting around the woods in deep snow.  Are they hard on axles???

Offline Five Trap Limit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:45 PM »
xcr
where did you get that square rack in the back?

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Menards last year.

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:28 PM »
highsparks...is that an 800 twin efi?  That is what I have, and want to track...how much did you pay for your tracks if you don't mind me asking?  Have you used them for a winter yet?

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I tried the Mad Dog auger system and while it does hold the auger securely, I didn't care for the velcro straps especially with cold hands.  I added a front rack extension (Cabellas) and then added Kolpin gear grips to hold the auger.  The Kolpin grips hold the auger securely.  They use a ratchet mechanism to tighten and push of a button to release.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.