Author Topic: Four wheeler for ice fishing  (Read 33747 times)

Offline The Hobbit

• IceShanty Rookie
Four wheeler for ice fishing
« on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:27 PM »
So.... I bought a honda foreman for ice fishing this year. I payed too much, but its in good condition!
Annnny ways... heres the question.

Who uses a four wheeler?
How do you have it set up? Pictures?
Do you use it for mobile fishing? (driving from hole to hole, and never getting off of the quad)
Do you have your fish finder mounted?
How is your auger mounted?

Im just looking for ideas on how to do these things so that I can coppy you    :-\

Thanks guys!
Tight Lines!

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Four wheeler for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I don't have any pics of my current set up, but I use my Artic Cat 500 all the time.  I built a pine box for the front, and cut V's into the gable ends to set the auger in.  I have another box on the back that I use for the packbaskets, bait, etc.  I use a dog sled, also, but only because I have one -- I can easily fit my stuff just on the quad.

I use chains on the rear tires.

I use the quad to get to the shack, and will use it to get to the furhter holes, but I like to walk to the holes for the most part.

I don't move much once I get set up unless I drill a few more holes.

When I do use the fish finder (fishing buddy) I don't mount it on the quad.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I also have an Arctic Cat. I have two bucket racks on the back and some milk crates on the back rack. I also have an Arctic Cat auger mount on the front rack. Sometimes I pull my aluminum trailer behind it with everything I need on the trailer. Other times I pull my two man flipover. This year I also have a popup shelter. I don't have my flasher mounted to the quad, but my GPS is on a Ram mount. I don't fish from the quad and I don't drive from hole to hole as I very seldom use tipups. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Here's a pic of ours (2 up) with our sled (not a portable).

Yes we use it for hole hoping, towing the bobhouse, visiting friends, pulling the portable, getting to our location etc...when there's no snow, we take the atv, otherwise we use the snowmobile.

Auger is mounted on the front rack using gun racks (3 of them, 2 on one end of the rack for the auger handle and another on the opposite end for the auger blade).

ATV came with a factory installed Garmin GPS mounted in the middle of the handle bars, hand warmers, skid plates and 3500 lbs winch.

No fish finder mounted....yet. I bring it with me in the trunk along w/ the camera, but now you got me thinking.

Need chains too for pulling traction.

JIGGIN.

Offline Lester L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I have a polaris sportsman500 and built a rack on the front for the ice auger and I used 2 pieces of pipe on the rear rack for my flip over ice shelter that way I can carry all my equipment in the back of my truck. I don't have a trailer. I would be glad to send you a picture later when I get it ready for fishing.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:32 PM »
yo jiggin'....thats a nice looking rig there....boy thats a nice looking bob-house in the back there too...lol...

here is the replacement for the 11 yr. old polaris sportsman 500....

and what we will use if there is too much snow..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:39 PM »
You will use the four wheeler to haul everything you already take and then some. The chains can be installed quick but screws in the tires work good also.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Polaris 1994 Sportsman 400 2 stroke. I bought these pail holders at menards. The auger holder is actually a double gun holder, but it works very well. I also have a rear cooler rack, that I havn't put on yet.

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:17 PM »
This is what I use. This is the first time on ice shanty so bare with me .There is six pictures coming

Sorry I can't figure out how to post picture,can you help

Thanx much

Mikefix

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:18 PM »
So.... I bought a honda foreman for ice fishing this year. I payed too much, but its in good condition!
Annnny ways... heres the question.

Who uses a four wheeler?
How do you have it set up? Pictures?
Do you use it for mobile fishing? (driving from hole to hole, and never getting off of the quad)
Do you have your fish finder mounted?
How is your auger mounted?

Im just looking for ideas on how to do these things so that I can coppy you    :-\

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have a new Honda ATV and plan to use it to ice fish, soon I hope!  

Scroll down on the main menu.  There is a subboard named "ice fishing transportation" that has a wealth of info on icefishing with an ATV.  

Hope that helps you.  

On the ice auger mount, I have used the Mad Dog mount with success.  I am getting another for my new Honda.  But haven't mounted it yet.  Also have my GPS mounted via a Ram Mount on the handlebar.  Hunting has given that the torture test and it works well.  On the ice should not be a problem given the ice is much smoother!

Also, I use my Vexilar in the usual way.  Its not mounted to the ATV.  Nor have I fished from my ATV, but I do tow my Clam Guide with my ATV and I fish in that.  Or, if I'm scouting around, I don't even mess with any of that and just punch some holes, check them out with Vex and line for a bit, and if nothing good happens, I move on.  

Having an ATV is a real blast on the ice.  It will open up whole new horizons for you, if you fish on big water.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:55 PM »

This my new one after putting old one in Saginaw Bay :'( :'( (yea we got it out)

Mad Dog Auger Holder
GPS mount;
Bucket Holder on Back

Leave Clam attached (quick get away ;D ;D)  Unless we have a bunch of holes augered then put on the good spot to warm up.  Then jump hole to hole.  
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline The Hobbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:18 PM »
hmm... so alot of you have used the mad dog.. how easly does the auger go on and off?
Tight Lines!

Offline perchhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Sorry pic got send to the trash bin but what I did because I also wanted some floatation just in case something bad happened.   I made some 12" square boxes 4 feet long and mounted them on the front and rear racks. I mounted them with hardened bolts put in place of the existing rack bolts.  I then added floatation foam and filled the boxes.  I then made 2 more identical boxes but with the top open and mounted those front and back to the float boxes to haul all my crap out.  Found that our local Menards sells them already cut to size.  1x12x4' stock. The 12" size is perfect to hold 5 gallon buckets.  I also added 2 bungees so that I can put my auger on the front float box and hold it down. I've hit some big heaves and it doesn't even bounce.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:38 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=175.0

Here you go...lotsa ideas in here

I use a quad...a few modifications...sorry, no pics
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:45 PM »
hmm... so alot of you have used the mad dog.. how easly does the auger go on and off?

Real easy, 1 thing I don't like is it has velcro straps and one is real close to the muffler, but I just don't use that one until It has cool.  Love mine other than that.
Pork Rind

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:54 PM »
[/img]

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:07 PM »
mg]

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I bought a brand new 09 Yamaha Grizzly 550 last Feb.  Here's a shot of it on Devils Lake, the first time I ever used it.  I had a friend bring it to the lake where we stayed, since I bought it out of Minnesota.  I didn't have time to get it set up the way I wanted, so I just put everything on the trailer and towed that out.

I trail ride, mud and rock crawl with in the summer, so it's fair from stock now, the winch and the PIAA lights are the only things I really use for ice fishing.  But, this afternoon I added my Mad Dog Auger rack, a rear drop basket with a 6 pole rod holder, Symtec hand + thumb warmers, QuadBoss ATV mitts and I pull a Frabill Trecker II with a Otter Sled hitch. 

I really don't plan on fishing off the quad much, so I won't be mounting any flasher to it... I'll have to get a couple photos of it one of these days.

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:21 PM »

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I finaly got the pictres figured out . These pis are my 450 forman

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:29 PM »

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:37 PM »
This season my Honda tracks got readapted to this. If you want more pictures of the honda I can email you. Four wheelers are hard to control in slush and deep snow and are good when condions are great.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2010, 06:35 AM »
Hows them tracks work on the quead ?  Someday I may like to have a set if they are worth it.  Son thinks I need them (he s 20 young kid)
Pork Rind

rickl1968

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:03 AM »
I love my tracks for the quad, I have only had them out once in the snow this year in about a foot of powder. They work awsem, The only complaint is that they don't steer so great untill you slow down.

Just got another 8" of snow last night. Hopefully get some good ice soon.

rickl1968

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Hey Mikefix

Try resizing the photos to 480 x 360. I would like to see them pictures a little bigger. How do you like the tracks?

Great post Hobbit, im looking to do some mods to my quad too and looking for good ideas.
Thanks.

Offline iroc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Cider Shack"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:53 AM »

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I love my tracks for the quad, I have only had them out once in the snow this year in about a foot of powder. They work awsem, The only complaint is that they don't steer so great untill you slow down.
(Image removed from quote.)

Just got another 8" of snow last night. Hopefully get some good ice soon.

OH YA!
I want to know how they do when there is ice with water on top, a thin crust of ice on that, then some slush with 6" of snow on that.  That's the real test.
If they work in that kind of scenario, I'll own a set.  :flex:

rickl1968

« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2010, 10:39 AM »

QUOTE "OH YA!
I want to know how they do when there is ice with water on top, a thin crust of ice on that, then some slush with 6" of snow on that.  That's the real test.
If they work in that kind of scenario, I'll own a set."  QUOTE

Well that might be a challenge for the tracks, but the tracks are pre drilled for studs too. Sooo. I was hoping to get some advice on the use from Mikefix.

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Ya I would love to give them tracks a test run in some unfavorable conditions. If they can pass the abuse test I'm in. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with the tracks in these conditions?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:47 PM »

I have the Mad dog auger carrier and I like it.  It works very well and holds the auger securely.  Get a tow bar for your sled....things get out of control with just a rope!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.