Author Topic: One Man Shanty  (Read 3431 times)

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
One Man Shanty
« on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:39 AM »
Hello,

Looking for a one man flip-over shanty this year.

I hear Clam is a little better made than Frabil.  Is this true? 

Looking at larger one man units that seems to weight about 20lbs more than the smaller ones.  Should I be too concerned about the additional weight?  I have never had a shelter before, but I am thinking I will appreciate the space more than I will more than I will mind the weight.

Any suggestions on where to purchase?  I have seen Frabilll's Commando at GM, but this is their only 1 man unit.

So far, leaning towards the Clam Kodiak.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks!!

Scott

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Re: One Man Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:54 AM »
Ive got the trekker and absoutly love it,yes its a little heavier but some pam spray on the bottom and it pulls likes it on clear ice.When you have no snow on the ice I really dont think it matters much they all pull like nothing,add some snow and there is where the resistance starts.
http://www.frabill.com/portable-ice-shelters/flip-over-shelters.html

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Personally weight matters.  Not about the pulling aspect on the ice, but getting it in and out of your vehicle.  A bigger shanty is harder for one man to handle.  But as far as the makes go, I havent seen one yet that I didn't like. 

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Personally weight matters.  Not about the pulling aspect on the ice, but getting it in and out of your vehicle.  A bigger shanty is harder for one man to handle.  But as far as the makes go, I havent seen one yet that I didn't like. 

Rico is right by saying they are all pretty much good quality anymore.  One thing that you need to know since this is your first shanty.  You may have very good intentions of keeping it light, but sooner or later the weight is gonna be there.  You will add this, you will add that.  They seem to get heavier each year.  I am sure there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part they will get heavier each year.

As for the makes, I have had a Clam Trap Pro and a Frabil Trakker DLX and they have both been very nice.  The only thing I did not like about the Frabil is the thickness of the tub.  They seem to be a little thin.  I have moved to an Otter shanty this year and from what I have seen so far, they are built the best.  Just MHO.

Steuben1

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Weight is an important issue and depending on how much snow is on the ice a loaded flip-over can be really hard to pull...Last year I bought a Clam Kenai and the main reason was Bass Pro had it on sale for for $150.00...First time I took it out I was amazed at how hard it was to pull...So I searched the postings on this forum to see if others had the same problem...I found that members had posted their solutions which was adding UHMW sled runners...What a difference it made!...The below pic is my Clam flip-over just after I added the runners

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:34 AM »
I had a fish trap guide that i removed one of the seats to convert it to a one man. I thought i needed the extra space. The heavy shelters pull very easy on ice, but add snow and forget it. I sold it and bought a pro tc.  My buddies that had smaller shelters left me in the slush when there was snow on the ice. Not to meantion I needed help loading into my truck. My opinion: figure out what you need to be comfortable, and nothing more. Take what you absolutly use, keep it light.
Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Stay with Clam, Frabill, or Otter...all are built pretty well. We love our Clam and two days ago I was inside about 5 different Frabill shacks and felt they all had very nice features!! You will have to modify whatever you get to make it comfortable for you. We only use ours on the most windy of days since I really prefer to be mobile on the ice. On those windy days it sure is nice though!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I agree with Rico, last year I bought a clam guide from Cabelas bargain cave for $168.  It's a great unit but hard for this old man to load and unload.
Being that all my partners have their own, its more weight than I need to be pulling around.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I agree with Rico, last year I bought a clam guide from Cabelas bargain cave for $168.  It's a great unit but hard for this old man to load and unload.
Being that all my partners have their own, its more weight than I need to be pulling around.

Joe

I cant say it enuff.....think about the loading and unloading out of your vehicle.....I aint a senior citizen, but I aint 20 either.  The bigger the sled, the heavier it will be.  And in my Rover, a keg of beer and 30 gills is too much for me to put in the back of the Siverado!!!!!!!! ;)

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Thanks for advice guys!  Rico, I like the comment about the Keg.  Maybe I need to get my priorities in order  :o  ::)

Couple follow up questions:

1. If I wait to buy a shelter until later in the season, will get a better deal or have a hard time finding what I want?

2. Does anyone have both the flip-up design mentioned on these models along with one of the lighter "pop-open tent" styles?  Would be interested in the comparison.

Thanks!!

Scott

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I have a Rover 1 and love it. Easy to get in and out of vehicle, pulls easy, just what I was looking for. Bought locally
from Bait & Hook Store.
Fish on!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Thanks for advice guys!  Rico, I like the comment about the Keg.  Maybe I need to get my priorities in order  :o  ::)

Couple follow up questions:

1. If I wait to buy a shelter until later in the season, will get a better deal or have a hard time finding what I want?

2. Does anyone have both the flip-up design mentioned on these models along with one of the lighter "pop-open tent" styles?  Would be interested in the comparison.

Thanks!!

Scott

If you wait til March you will get a better deal!!!!!!!!!!!!  As far as question #2..........the flip tops are mobile......you wanna move, put the lid down and away you go.....the pop-ups have changed during the last few years.........I like them as long as they have a floor in them.......great for fishing that hot spot with your lady next to you........however these new "hub style" models that you can get cheap are nothing more than wind breaks..........just my opinion.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:55 PM »
My one man sled is a Clam Scout... Tough to beat, no poles to extend, just flip and fish. Lite too.

Do you have a budget?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:04 PM »
I just bought a new scout tc and it is awsome. I would highly recommend it.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:56 PM »
My one man sled is a Clam Scout... Tough to beat, no poles to extend, just flip and fish. Lite too.

Do you have a budget?

Sounds interesting.  It seems like I can get something pretty nice in the 250-300 range, so I suppose I would want to stay around there.

Where did you guys buy the Scouts from?

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:25 AM »
ive got the frabill commando which is a one man...fairly light, quick setup, ez to pull, warm, and plenty of room havent seen any clams but it sounds like it would be comparable to the clam scout.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:52 AM »

Thanks!!

Scott

I wouldn't wait. They're flying off the shelves now. Last year I waited to buy a flasher until after Christmas and only found one place on the internet that had any left.

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2010, 01:04 PM »
One thing also I am not sure if it has been stated here yet or not but I would like to mention that the small models of one man flipovers are quite suffeciant,not to mention much less money to buy.  I am built like a football stood up on end 300plus lbs and five foot nothing and I have ample room to efficently fish in my clam scout.  It is easy to load into the trunk of my ford taurus, pulls nice, and really prevents me from dragging along the kitchen sink of equiptment simple because there aint room for it all.  I like many others have stated here have not came across a one man shanty that I did not like Frabill, Clam, Otter, Eskimo, they are all quality products.  Good luck in your shopping and please let us know what you ended up getting, congrats on the purchase, these type shaties are a great investment.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Sounds interesting.  It seems like I can get something pretty nice in the 250-300 range, so I suppose I would want to stay around there.

Got mine at the end of the year from Goose Mtn. Under $170.

An angler can be VERY well rigged for any situation for about $300-$350... Here is my advice-

1.)Find a one man scout or Frabill Recon for under $200, both are nice. (NOTE-The new 2011 Scout out now is Thermal and about $60 more than last years, try to find a closeout). I got my Scout for under $170 new.

2.)Then get an Eskimo Quick Fish 3 Pop-up shelter, under $150 almost everywhere, if you look you can get it for $135.

You can buy both new for about $300-$350 total, then you are set. You have a very portable 1 man that you can hole hop with and a nice, warm, easily transportable (backpack) style 3 man that you can go fish with buddies or set-up on a walleye spot for the evening. I have buddies that have spent over $300 on a  large sled style shelter and dont have nearly the options (or satisfaction) as with this setup. The big sled style shelters get over 85lbs when you get into the two and three man's with built in seats.

One days when I am chasin gills, its my Scout, on days with buddies or where I want to have more space, the 3 man comes out.

That is all you really need and in my opinion gets an ice angler the most fishable options, while remaining portable for the $$.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Thanks Guys!   Great feedback.

I have seen the Frabil Commando at GM and really liked it.  Great seat.  Was hoping GM was going to give $20 credit for each $100 spent this year again.  If so, might just pick up.

However, I have not seen any other Frabill or Clam one man flips.   

Anyone seen any this year?

Thanks,

Scott

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:03 PM »

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:04 PM »

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Nice unit! I do like the seats in those. I just have a bench in mine and I wanted to upgrade to a small swivel seat.
Very pricey to just buy the seat. Does anyone know if Frabill sells just the seats for their flipovers? I see that you
can buy clam seats.
Fish on!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Nice unit! I do like the seats in those. I just have a bench in mine and I wanted to upgrade to a small swivel seat.
Very pricey to just buy the seat. Does anyone know if Frabill sells just the seats for their flipovers? I see that you
can buy clam seats.

pm sent Greg

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I've had the Rover 1 for 5 years and love it. I'm a big guy and I have plenty of room. I can get it in and out of the truck with no problem---weight 45#.  I like the half up position.  All my buddies have the same model and they love it also.  My wife used mine so much last year I bought her one for this year.  Found it on Craig's list last week, brand new for $160.00.   Good luck on the ice.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2010, 08:10 PM »

i got mine off craigslist this summer for 165$
born to fish---forced to work

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:26 PM »
JigginPig- Is your shelter a clam Pro TC? 

I think I am between this shelter. scount tc and the Frabil Commando. 

GM and Ye Old Tackle Shop have the Commando units.  I talked to Busco Bait about ordering something for me as well.

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Yeah. If you want any specific pics or have any ?s feel free to ask. The only thing I can say bad about it, is the bolt kit that comes with it.  They are very poor quality. I recommend replacing them with stainless hardware. I had one bolt break but my buddy bought one also and he had 2 or 3 heads pop off the bolts ??? Other than this, I feel like it is a keeper ;D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:00 AM »
but I am thinking I will appreciate the space more than I will more than I will mind the weight.

Remember to say that to yourself when you're pulling the shelter you've bought.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:48 AM »
Yeah. If you want any specific pics or have any ?s feel free to ask. The only thing I can say bad about it, is the bolt kit that comes with it.  They are very poor quality. I recommend replacing them with stainless hardware. I had one bolt break but my buddy bought one also and he had 2 or 3 heads pop off the bolts ??? Other than this, I feel like it is a keeper ;D

Seems like I end up replacing most bolt kits anymore with most things.  Good to see the black inside of this this.  I just saw a youtibe video of Genz talking about the Nanook Thermal.  He mentioned you could still see inside of it during the day and it seemed to be the case with the lighter fabric walls.  I want something I can use to help with sightfishing too.  If I want more light, I will get one of the lights or open up a window.    There is rebate for the TC shelters right now too that offers a couple free accessories.    Overall, this unit has more fishable area (12sqr ft) and at good weight (52lbs).  If I can get this for something close to the Commando, will do this this.  Commando seems similar size, but slightly more weight (59lbs).  How much did you pay for your unit?  I assume you bought somewhere in PA?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.