Author Topic: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications  (Read 36716 times)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Re: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I've always had 6 gal buckets.  5 gal are made for the vertically challenged (Short People). ;D

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Yeah, 6 gallon buckets would be nice. I've been using 5 gallons and I'm way too tall for them.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Yeah, 6 gallon buckets would be nice. I've been using 5 gallons and I'm way too tall for them.
I suppose one could make a small platform on the bottom, or a seat on the top for a little height adjustment...........o r just use a cooler on a small sled like I use.
Thread killer

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I cut the bottom out of one 5 gal pail and pop rivet it in another 5 gal pail to make it the right height.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:02 PM »
I cut the bottom out of one 5 gal pail and pop rivet it in another 5 gal pail to make it the right height.
ditto, cut 2" off and  it will fit right in. take off the 1 st. handle. raises you up 2-3".  outdoor store had 6 gal. buckets for 14.00 . seal your black top drive way and get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets for free

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:53 PM »
I used PVC and my rods fit nice and snug. I used a rotozip to cut the PVC where the reel seat is. I then attached my PVC to my bucket with rivets. One side holds my rod and the other has half of a Frabill Pail Pack.

I used a 6 gallon bucket for the extra height (less back strain when seated on it), there is plenty of storage room inside the bucket too for a flasher, tip-ups, tackle bag etc. I put an 8 quart minnow bucket in there and then a few things on top of that usually. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:18 AM »
I used a bucket for 25yrs before portable shantys became popular. There wasn't any mods that had to be done. We could only use 2 rods, so you only took 2,had a scoop to clean the hole out after spudding. Turned the pail over and sat on it while fishing. The fish that were caught went in the bucket for the walk back to shore.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:55 AM »
ok

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:41 AM »
It's cool to see this thread resurface after 6 years! I still have this bucket but my new hole hopping setup includes a Striker Climate Suit, a Clam Drill Plate and a FL-28 with Rod Holders on the back.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Funny, this thread popped up on my facebook page this morning through the group "Saginaw hard water" and here it is! Saves me doing a search for it

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:45 PM »
It's cool to see this thread resurface after 6 years!

didn't know the thread was so old found the post doing a search.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Uncle Al - I have bad eyes and that avatar is awesome.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Funny, this thread popped up on my facebook page this morning through the group "Saginaw hard water" and here it is! Saves me doing a search for it

Haha I pulled up Facebook this morning and saw the picture of my bucket shared by Striker Ice which I thought was funny too since it was 6 years old. Seems like someone did some old thread resurrecting last night!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:00 PM »
I've got a 4-gallon bucket from my local bakery (frosting) inside a 5-gallon bucket in my Glide-Lite. Works great, fish in the top, a few necessaries in the dry spot between (towel, tp, trash bags).

Dave

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, I've been trying to track down a reasonable 6 gallon bucket today. I have a bunch of 5 gallons, but I like the height of a 6 gallon. I can't really justify spending $20 on the Frabill Sit-N-Fish though, and I have a 3/4 seat already that I'd like to use. Hmm.....

Stop by your local Packy (Beer,Wine and Liquor store) and ask about 6 gallon buckets. Those who make their own wine buy the grape juice and it comes in 6 gallon buckets. If you were closer I'd pass a few on. Also the foam shiner buckets fit inside real nice.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I got a few 7gal buckets at usplastics for 9.75 each,the same place alot guys get there UMHW  They are gonna be a back saver this year.

X2-- shipping cost was high but worth it for a 7 gallon, everything fits
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:30 PM »
You can also get 6 gallon buckets from people who have swimming pools. The chlorine that they use  are in 6 gallon buckets.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:45 AM »
I use a 7 gallon (I think) bucket with a twist on lid made by M&M Industries.  It's an old chlorine bucket used to ship chlorine tables for pools. It has a nice wide top which is perfect for sitting.  I cut a 5" diameter hole in the center of the lid for my poles and scooper to fit through and for also dropping fish in the bucket.  It works great and is super comfortable, I get asked about where I found that bucket all the time.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Uncle Al - I have bad eyes and that avatar is awesome.
Thanks Sprocket, just a pic I found on the internet, I like it too.

Offline WYPharmD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:13 PM »
spray foam the outside, ugly but it works

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:29 PM »
The handles on these buckets are always too small to be comfortable.
So to mine I added these orange bucket handles. Talso make it real easy to know which buckets are mine when out fishing with friends.
http://snappygrip.com/
They work well and make it more comfortable carrying my buckets.
I have put the threaded Gama Seal threaded bucket lids on a couple of buckets then add the snappy grip handles.
I place a few items inside then put my flasher on top and screw on the lid. This offer great protection for my flashers.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Crazy that this thread popped up.  I've been piecing a hole hopping bucket together out of a kitty litter pail.  A few weeks ago I modified my LX7 case but it was still cumbersome jumping from hole to hole carrying that thing, rods, scoop, etc.  I put a bracket on the side for the transducer arm, it has 4 rod holders (going to add one more), the LX7 is bolted to the cover of the pail, and I have two 9amp batteries wired in parallel.  I'm going to add some lights, a cup holder, and insert two small round plastic containers into the lid.  One will be a transducer cup for transport and the other will be used to bring two or three extra minnows along with me when I'm out moving around. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:04 AM »
thank for the link kasilofchrisn those look cool

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.