Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Mar 29, 2017, 06:39 PM
Iceshanty Online Tourney :icefish:
View Tourney Leader Board

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications  (Read 17996 times)

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Re: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2010, 12:10 PM »
I like all the replies/ideas/tips! I'm excited to start working on this, it should keep me sane until the ice comes to MN. I'm going to go and start looking for a 6-7 gallon around some local areas tomorrow and I'll see what I can find.

SINX53

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Here is my bucket mods. Just zip tied the stadium seat to the lid of the pail and cut off most of the tabs on the lid so it is a little easier to get off. The other carries my gear. FL8 in pail, plano bucket top tackle box on top, frabill pail pak with tip ups, rods, small tackle boxes & skimmer

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:19 PM »
The other carries my gear. FL8 in pail, plano bucket top tackle box on top, frabill pail pak with tip ups, rods, small tackle boxes & skimmer

I like the look of your second one! That Frabill Pail Pack, can that be seperated? Like to just take up half of the bucket. I'd like to put some PVC on one half of the bucket and have the pail pack on the other half. Just curious if that's possible.

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Does anybody know more about the Frabill Pail Pack (read my post above this one). Thanks!!

WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• yummy, fresh fish!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Another good source for food grade buckets in 5 gallons and up sizes are hospital food service departments. they usually have piles of them in the back,and are more than willing to part with them. my local folks will give you dozens at a time, or save them for you if you ask.

The lab also throws out thousands of small trays each year that come as packaginf for phlebotomy tubes. These make GREAT loading blocks, if you are a shooter/reloader. It's all I have used for years.

See you all on the ice.

PAWaide

I get my buckets from the local car wash. The pretty smelling car soap comes in them.  Price:  Free to good home, or a free fish now and then.

SINX53

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:47 AM »

I like the look of your second one! That Frabill Pail Pack, can that be seperated? Like to just take up half of the bucket. I'd like to put some PVC on one half of the bucket and have the pail pack on the other half. Just curious if that's possible.

You can remove one of the fabric storage sides if you want. Just pull out the strap.

jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Flag!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:02 AM »
I'm a taper and have a bunch of leftover 5 and 6 gallon buckets (used for drywall mud), I can just give you a couple.  They are clean, no smells and ready to be modded.  I can give you a couple so you can play with ideas and see what works and what doesn't.  I'm headed out to Oakdale one day this week to pick up an outboard.  I'm not sure what day, I'm waiting to hear from the guy I'm buying it from.  If that doesn't work I'm sure I can meet you somewhere soon, I live out in the far west metro.  That Frabill pail bag/pack is sold at Fleet Farm, I think they are around $10 or something.  You just have to be careful when storing it in the trunk or in the back of the truck you don't crush your rods.  It's nice though because they are all right there.

pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:06 AM »
the best 5 gallon bucket mod...

step 1:  purchase 5 gallon bucket

step 2:  turn it upside down

step 3:  sit down, enjoy...  ;D
Purchase? Go to your local Chinese rest. and ask them for some buckets. They still use the 6 gallon buckets. I have a bunch of them. They are taller so you don't have your knees in your face.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:00 AM »
I'm a taper and have a bunch of leftover 5 and 6 gallon buckets (used for drywall mud), I can just give you a couple.  They are clean, no smells and ready to be modded.  I can give you a couple so you can play with ideas and see what works and what doesn't.  I'm headed out to Oakdale one day this week to pick up an outboard.

That would be awesome, Oakdale is a close drive for me! I have a bunch of 5 gallon's but if you could bring a couple 6 gallon's that would be awesome! I'll send you a pm with my email and phone number.

knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2010, 02:18 PM »
the bucket i have my tilts in and jigging rods in has several holes in the bottom which allows water or snow on my reels to melt and to get out of the bucket while in the garage while waiting for the next trip out. in the salt water when i'm casting with eels for stripers, this bucket sitting in another bucket allows the slime of the eels to go into the lower bucket so the eels don't drown.

jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:37 PM »
I've always had 6 gal buckets.  5 gal are made for the vertically challenged (Short People). ;D

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Yeah, 6 gallon buckets would be nice. I've been using 5 gallons and I'm way too tall for them.

WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• yummy, fresh fish!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Yeah, 6 gallon buckets would be nice. I've been using 5 gallons and I'm way too tall for them.
I suppose one could make a small platform on the bottom, or a seat on the top for a little height adjustment...........o r just use a cooler on a small sled like I use.

major257

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I cut the bottom out of one 5 gal pail and pop rivet it in another 5 gal pail to make it the right height.

$ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict

• My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I cut the bottom out of one 5 gal pail and pop rivet it in another 5 gal pail to make it the right height.
ditto, cut 2" off and  it will fit right in. take off the 1 st. handle. raises you up 2-3".  outdoor store had 6 gal. buckets for 14.00 . seal your black top drive way and get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets for free

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:53 PM »
I used PVC and my rods fit nice and snug. I used a rotozip to cut the PVC where the reel seat is. I then attached my PVC to my bucket with rivets. One side holds my rod and the other has half of a Frabill Pail Pack.

I used a 6 gallon bucket for the extra height (less back strain when seated on it), there is plenty of storage room inside the bucket too for a flasher, tip-ups, tackle bag etc. I put an 8 quart minnow bucket in there and then a few things on top of that usually. 

Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict

• ban the deed not the breed, BSL doesn't work
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I used a bucket for 25yrs before portable shantys became popular. There wasn't any mods that had to be done. We could only use 2 rods, so you only took 2,had a scoop to clean the hole out after spudding. Turned the pail over and sat on it while fishing. The fish that were caught went in the bucket for the walk back to shore.

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:55 AM »
ok
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:41 AM »
It's cool to see this thread resurface after 6 years! I still have this bucket but my new hole hopping setup includes a Striker Climate Suit, a Clam Drill Plate and a FL-28 with Rod Holders on the back.

Just Steve

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Funny, this thread popped up on my facebook page this morning through the group "Saginaw hard water" and here it is! Saves me doing a search for it

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved