Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Jan 23, 2017, 10:04 PM
Click here to order with free shipping.

Team Iceshanty Patches! Most iceshanty boards are represented

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications  (Read 17308 times)

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
5 Gallon Bucket Modifications
« on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I'm going to be modifying one of my 5 gallon buckets for ice fishing soon. I've found a few links and got some good idea's and I think I'll be using some idea's off several of other's designs. I want to put rod holders on the outside of the bucket, so I can still sit on it and use the inside for storage of the tipups and Ice 45. I was just curious if anyone else has any mods out there or ideas they would like to contribute. If not, I'll provide some links in case others are wanting to do some mods of their own!!

5 Gallon Bucket Modifications
http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2205342/1
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=124047.0

icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic

• TEAM ONTARIO
Re: 5 Gallon Bucket Modifications
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:00 AM »
nice, share some pics when your done, I have been looking at doing this for a few years, might get around to it this year

scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:36 AM »
MN, instead of a 5gal. bucket, you might want to look into a 6gal. bucket. A little more room and some added height when/if you care to make a seat on the top of it.

Also can modify two buckets to fit into one for a little more height also.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:52 AM »
MN, instead of a 5gal. bucket, you might want to look into a 6gal. bucket. A little more room and some added height when/if you care to make a seat on the top of it.

Yeah, I've been trying to track down a reasonable 6 gallon bucket today. I have a bunch of 5 gallons, but I like the height of a 6 gallon. I can't really justify spending $20 on the Frabill Sit-N-Fish though, and I have a 3/4 seat already that I'd like to use. Hmm.....

scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:09 AM »
 I know I've done this before but don't recall exactly where to make the cuts at, but if you look at them you will figure it out. Once the two pieces are nestled together you can add a couple of small blocks of scrap wood to the bottom of the one and make a more sturdier platform for the top one to sit on and gain some added space/height using the buckets you already have.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict

• The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:00 PM »
I cut the top off of one of my 5 gallon buckets and made sure to leave enough to rivet it to the outside bucket when u slide them together. I'll post some pics later when I get home from work and done putting up X-mas lights. 64 degrees out today. :( 6in

revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:49 PM »
I got a few 7gal buckets at usplastics for 9.75 each,the same place alot guys get there UMHW  They are gonna be a back saver this year.

eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I guess there's ways to mod these things but I still think buckets are awkward to carry around no matter what. I don't have as many jigging rods as I do tip ups and my needs are different. If you mount the rods on the outside of the bucket then they'll be sticking out everywhere.
Get the flag!

Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

• Inventor of Minnow Magic Muckletonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:28 PM »
MN: Go to some of the restaurants...that's where I get all mine. (Helps if your buddy owns one..!) They get sauces and pickles and such in 5 & 6 gal pails. It does take a while to get the pickle smell out, though, always made me hungry!!! ;D
Think White Bear will be too shallow and overcrowded again this year...or is it worth the drive?

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"...Rick Nelson/SCB '72

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I guess there's ways to mod these things but I still think buckets are awkward to carry around no matter what. I don't have as many jigging rods as I do tip ups and my needs are different. If you mount the rods on the outside of the bucket then they'll be sticking out everywhere.

I have three combo's. I'll be tightly grouping 4 pvc holders on the outside for my 3 combos and ice skimmer. That'll be one side, then on the other I was thinking of hanging half of the Frabill pail pack for miscellaneous things. With all that on the outside, I could stow away 2-3 of my Frabill Pro-Thermal tipups, put a thin layer of wood for a shelf, and then maybe put my Ice-45 on top of that. And attach the cover. Then I would probably put eyebolts near the top and attach a strap long enough to throw over my shoulder so it wouldn't take up a hand when I was walking on.

MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Think White Bear will be too shallow and overcrowded again this year...or is it worth the drive?

Good Idea Rebelss! Thanks. And I think I wrote you about this a month or so ago about you coming up to WBL? Sound familar? If not it was someone from southern MN who wanted to come up, and I wasn't too much help. Some people love it, but I just don't have much luck/good spots/experience on WBL. I haven't ice fished it much but when I have I didn't catch much but dinky northern, crappies, and walleye. So I'd say if you have spots that have produced through the ice then come on up. I'm sure I'll wind up there a few times this winter, although I live right next to Bald Eagle Lake and I have a few spots I'm dieing to try through the ice!

Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

• Inventor of Minnow Magic Muckletonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Duh...I think you're right!!!! :whistle: Guess my mind was wandering...what were we talking about? ;D Talked to a couple people up there and they are saying exactly what you did...it used to be home of great perch, though. Glad I could help.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"...Rick Nelson/SCB '72

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:53 PM »
i'll be doing a few mods and i'll try and get some pics up to show them.  my big goal is to get some of the stuff i need out of the bottom of the bucket and get the rods out of the bucket because they are in the way when i'm trying to grab stuff.

i also want my rod holders a bit lower on the bucket.

i'm also working on a way to have 2 removable pvc dead stick holders.
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict

• The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Here are my mods to my buckets.  Regular 5 gallon, a 6-7 gallon and  add on 5+ gallon one.  I think the one on the left will be the favorite.  Nice and tall compared to the 5 gallon.  Fin

servocam

• Team IceShanty Addict

• @BG2IceFishing
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I was removing an old swing / play set and kept two of the seats from "the whirly-twirl" and a bench seat from the bench swing.  The seat just so happens to fit on top of a 5 gal bucket nicely.  Was thinking of hinging it on the bucket or even just leaving it sit on top.  Right now I just put collapsing chair in the sled.

I can sell ice to an Eskimo, but I have Integrity.

pawaide

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Another good source for food grade buckets in 5 gallons and up sizes are hospital food service departments. they usually have piles of them in the back,and are more than willing to part with them. my local folks will give you dozens at a time, or save them for you if you ask.

The lab also throws out thousands of small trays each year that come as packaginf for phlebotomy tubes. These make GREAT loading blocks, if you are a shooter/reloader. It's all I have used for years.

See you all on the ice.

PAWaide

pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:43 PM »
the best 5 gallon bucket mod...

step 1:  purchase 5 gallon bucket

step 2:  turn it upside down

step 3:  sit down, enjoy...  ;D

ICEMAN26

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2010, 05:22 AM »
I wish I knew how to post pics from my phone I don't have a computer I would show you my bucket it has my fish tv ,my vex,3 rod holders and an ice scoop holder

kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I get my buckets cheap from my local laundromat. They go through a ton of buckets of laundry soap each year.
They don't smell like pickles either. They also throw in the lids.
I actually have to buy them but they are cheap compared to buying them in stores. Not sure anyone in my area gives them away anymore. I usually get them for $2 from the laundromat. They want over $5 in the local hardware stores.
I might just have to play around with modifying a couple after reading this thread.
I usually just have one bucket of jumbled up rods on the rack of my snowmachine.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular

• My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2010, 10:50 AM »
If you don't mind blue buckets then the Napa auto parts store here have them for like $4 w/o a lid. Oh and if you don't mind it says NAPA on them. Not sure if Napa has them everywhere  :tipup:

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved