Author Topic: ?? Best attachment for battery powered drill for auger???  (Read 6046 times)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy

I have been looking at the attachment ($26) to convert a hand auger to power with the attachments for a battery powered drill. Anybody have any experience with these attachments and better yet any recommendations???

I have a new 18 volt DeWalt (DC927) with the removable handle. It has lithium ion batteries (2), seems to have a ton of torque and the batteries last forever.

I built two decks 20'x10' and 8'x16' (tons of screws) and had to charge the battery once. I know that’s not drilling through ice but???

Any and all info/suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks!

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ?? Best attachment for battery powered drill for auger???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Definately depends on drill . . . I have 2 friends that have them, one a dewalt like yours the other some kind of makita. Dewalt does around 5 8" holes per battery @ 8-10" of ice, makita is an animal, does well over 10 holes per battery. Disclaimer: I have no personal use with such product but have seen it used on the ice.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:39 AM »
My cousin had one...worked well for us 'til he bought a gas auger. Can't do lots of holes, but they're sufficient. Just don't bear down on it...you hit some bad ice or a chunk of something, and it'll rip your paws off!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I have used one for 3 yrs. Make sure you have the larger amp hour batteries. Also I wouldn,t go over 6in for the auger. Take 2 batt with you and keep them warm.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:54 PM »
I guess it's fine to use if you happen to have a high power drill, but otherwise I'd just get a nils or gas auger.
Get the flag!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:39 PM »
what diameter auger are you using? a 5" auger will get more holes than an 8"...i have a24v craftsman and thinking about giving it a whirl (no pun intended) 

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:09 PM »
I think there is a pretty good chance of you losing your auger with any of these devices.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I think there is a pretty good chance of you losing your auger with any of these devices.

most of them come with a plate or bar to avoid this, the plate is bigger than the hole
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:11 AM »
I use a craftsman 20 volt lithium ion with fin-bor 4 1/2 inch auger. can drill 40 plus holes on one charge never had to use second battery yet. put a frisbee on auger so it doesnt fall in hole if auger comes off the drill.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:18 AM »
I've used the Ice master (has the bungee cord strap to keep audger from dropping in) adapter for three years now on a 6" lazer 18V dewalt I can get roughly 30 holes through 8-9' of ice on one battery. keep the batteries as warm as you can and your blades sharp. its great for scouting around drill in one hand vex in other,light and fast.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:47 PM »
I use a Milwaukee 18v lith-ion with a 6 in laser, I get about 30-40 holes per batt. The adapter that I use I got off Craig's list in Milw, WI Ice Auger Drill Adapter Stainless Steel Body/Alum Disc It is made by a guy who owns a machine shop and makes them, it has a plate on it so if it would come off it will not go down the hole.http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1180116.jpg[/img]]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1180114.jpg[/img]]
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:44 AM »
Does it have to be a drill or will a cordless impact work?  I know they have alot more torque, but will the pulsating "impact" effect the way the auger drills?

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:17 AM »
don't think there is an adapter for a quarter inch impact. i have the ice master with the strap and an eighteen volt dewalt xrp and a six inch mora. get around twenty five holes per battery

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:39 AM »
auger buddy I think works good 18 volt
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.