Author Topic: Tip Up Rigging  (Read 7798 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Tip Up Rigging
« on: Nov 04, 2010, 01:50 PM »
So I have 4 tip-ups that I've replaced the line on this summer and now I'm ready to rig them up. I'm thinking of trying some power pro as a leader on two of them this winter. I'm curious as to what kind of hooks people love to use on their tip-ups. I have a quick strike rig with two trebles that I will be using for the bigger size suckers. Now for the other three I'm not sure what direction to go. Last year I caught Northern/Bass on treble hooks and offset hooks (which I bass fish with in the summer), I didn't seem to have a favorite between the two. Lemme know what kind of hook or rig you have on your tip-ups when your looking to catch some fish (Northerns or Bass is what I fish for with tip-ups).

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Tip Up Rigging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:19 PM »
In Ontario we are only allowed two lines, so i usually only have 1 tip-up going at a time, I do bring and rig two..

I tie a spoon right onto my tip-up line and remove the treble hook from the spoon and replace it with a quick strike rig. In ontario you cant use double trebles on a quick strike so mine are rigged with one treble and a circle hook. I really like the combo and probably would not switch to double trebles even if it was legal.

I dont need a leader because the quick stike acts as one for me, I use the spoon as a drawn and live bait the quick strike. it works well

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:23 PM »
In Ontario we are only allowed two lines, so i usually only have 1 tip-up going at a time, I do bring and rig two..

I tie a spoon right onto my tip-up line and remove the treble hook from the spoon and replace it with a quick strike rig. In ontario you cant use double trebles on a quick strike so mine are rigged with one treble and a circle hook. I really like the combo and probably would not switch to double trebles even if it was legal.

I dont need a leader because the quick stike acts as one for me, I use the spoon as a drawn and live bait the quick strike. it works well

We can only have 2 lines in MN as well. So some times I only have one in the water, other times I don't jig, I just use 2 tip-ups. So you attach the quick strike rig right to the spoon huh?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:34 PM »
So you attach the quick strike rig right to the spoon huh?

yep, the rigs I use are close to 12 inches long, so there is plenty of separation. without the weight of the spoon right on the bait, it can move more freely and that adds some flash to the spoon. the spoon weight helps get the bait back down quicker as well

Offline Boydric

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:59 PM »
I run a #10 trebble tied to 24" of 20lb. fireline tied to a swivel.  I then have cone sinker and a spinner blade above that as an attactor.  Has worked well for northern and bass.  This year i am trying a couple of glow beads in the mix to see if that helps at well.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2010, 05:26 AM »
Your rigging depends on what species you are after.

Here's what I use :

Panfish -  #6 fluorocarbon leader, #14 to #18 treble hooks.
Trout - #8 to #10 Fluorocarbon Leader, #14 Treble Hooks.
Walleye - #10 Fluorocarbon leader, a small bead or two (red or glow usually) and #10 to #12 treble hooks.
Pike - #20 superbraid, a few beads and possibly a small spoon or colorado blade for added flash.

Make sure you use quality swivels etc.

Hope this helps,,

Wiener

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:44 AM »
for bass, use 6-8# floro or mone 3-6 feet long, with a #6 circle hook, and use the smallest splitshot you can. no gut hooks, no dead bass. circle hooks work for everything. they just take time to get used to.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2010, 11:26 AM »
for bass, use 6-8# floro or mone 3-6 feet long, with a #6 circle hook, and use the smallest splitshot you can. no gut hooks, no dead bass. circle hooks work for everything. they just take time to get used to.

Yeah, I use them Catfishing. I guess I've never thought about using them on tip-ups, I will give that a go this winter. Thanks!

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I fish with heritage lakers and use 35 lb dacron for my squidding line....tied to a large brass barrel swivel.......leader is 6 to 8 feet of 25 lb mono and a #4 Gamagatzu circle hook and use med shiners.  I fish Bass / Pickerel with this setup and have good hookup success.....i don't miss too many.  When I fish rainbows up in NH I switch the leader to 6 lb flourocarbon and go for a smaller hook and use pinhead shiners for bait. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Just rigged up my four tip-ups. One has a quick strike rig (w/ 2 trebles), one has a circle hook, one has a treble, and one has an offset hook. Going to do some testing this winter to see what my preference is.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Just rigged up my four tip-ups. One has a quick strike rig (w/ 2 trebles), one has a circle hook, one has a treble, and one has an offset hook. Going to do some testing this winter to see what my preference is.
That is a great plan!  I did the same before settling on the Gamagatzu circles.  I have never tried quick strike rigs but may give a couple of those a try this season......anyone have any opinions on how those will work on Bass / Pickerel / Pike?
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:56 PM »
That is a great plan!  I did the same before settling on the Gamagatzu circles.  I have never tried quick strike rigs but may give a couple of those a try this season......anyone have any opinions on how those will work on Bass / Pickerel / Pike?

Yeah, I rigged two of them up with PowerPro Braid and two with Mono. This will be my first time using braid through the ice. I'm excited to try the tip-up with a Circle hook on it. I've used other people tip-ups with the multiple trebles and they are real nice for large suckers. I target bass and pike but the only fish I've caught on them is pike so far.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:49 PM »
How do you tie a quick strike for panfish?  Ive looked some up, and everyone seems to have a different versions.  What do you use, and how do you tie it?

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Not sure if your talking to me specifically or just asking everyone. But I have no idea. When I say quick-strike, that is a rig with two trebles (they are pre made and that's what the packaging says). I'm not sure what kind of bait you'd be using for pannies that you'd need two trebles.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:56 PM »
also keep in mind that in MN you cannot use a treble hook unless it is part of a lure.. so you would need to add a bead..witch i do anyway and a small blade like off a swedish pimp. (i never did this when i lived there but i ran the risk) More comonly what i use is a jb gemneye with a #8-10 treble hung off the back from the split ring..just hook the minnow to the single hook on the gemneye.. most of the walleyes i get are on that rig.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:23 AM »

Imagine the options you could try with the 15 trap spread I use! ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:41 PM »
i use either a hook and a sinker below it, or a little teardrop jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.