Author Topic: Daytime Crappie  (Read 7973 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daytime Crappie
« on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I've fished crappie at night quite a bit and seem to have the best luck with a tiny treble tipped with a minnow or a small tear drop tipped with a minnow or waxie. I've caught them during the day but not by targetting them specifically. Always seemed to catch one or two when targetting gills with a tear drop and waxie or mousie.

Anyone have suggestions for what to use when targetting crappie during the day? Also do you fish different depths for them during the day than at night or do they just move around a lot like the do at night. Thanks.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Daytime Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:00 PM »
I guess I do fish a little different for daytime crappie, especially on a different body of water.  It's usually a much more stained or murky type water, probably a lot more plankton and green vegetation.  Gold or Silver type lures seems to do better and sometimes all bare metal will produce the most aggressive strikes from the larger crappies of the bunch.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Anyone try using a crappie candle during the day. Wondering if this will increase catch count. I know the most important part is staying on top of them, but maybe this would help keep them around for a few extra minutes.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010, 03:32 AM »
crappies during the day are most of the time suspended off the bottom and circling the lake just as they are at night........whenever I go out for them during the day I use the same techniques as at night......I like the Frostee Jiggin Spoon.....thats my #1 go to lure for crappies and walleyes both.....they love it.....and as far as bait well I like to tip the jig with a crappie minnow head I sometimes use waxworms but not too often....it all depends on the bite and how much action the fish want......the more agressive fish like to bite during the day so I find to keep the jig moving and slowly pulling it away from the fish actually seem to help them bite......idk I guess it works for me.......

Offline Huckster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:07 AM »
I fish alot for crappies.  Most lakes I find the biting changes from day to night.  It depends on weather, moon phase and all types of variables.  I may have a good day bite for a week then it shuts off and turns into a evening bite or even a late night activity.  I have MANY days where I got out early in the morning and the fishing was slow until 11a-1p and then you cant pull fish out fast enough.  You just have to get out and try it when ever you can.

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:13 AM »
If yer pickin' up a crappie or 2 when yer gillin', try the adjacent deep water. Probably just of the edge of the flat (or whatever structure they're relating to).  Look 4 suspended marks, close 2 the same depth yer stickin' the gills @, but with some extra depth underneath them. [i.e. if the gills are in 12 fow, maybe look for some marks 12-15' down over 20 or more f.o.w.] If ya can catch 1 slab, chances are, there are more nearby.
Small jigging spoons & jigs w/ a pile of maggots should dupe 'em.
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I fished a variety of depths today from 5-19 FOW. The water was extremely clear and a major storm was blowing in. After weeding through a bunch of dink gills and perch (also tossed back two 9'' crappie) I found a hot hole on a weed edge in about 8' of water. The best action was right about noon, but it was cloudy with low pressure building. Horizontal jig with a waxworm did the trick. The best went 12'' and was portly. The crappie in this lake are difficult to pin down through the ice, so I was pleased, for sure. Take home: 9.5'' and up:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Some more shallow water crappie caught in early afternoon. These were 10-13", and I tossed back a couple that were just shorter, and some smaller ones. All fish were caught on plastic, the venerable Ratso.

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Nice fish! I have a hard time getting through all the small ones to find the slabs. Its good that you throw those little ones back not just to grow but they are a pain to fillet. I often find the big one down under the smaller fish, but then, the biggest one I caught was half way up the water column so who knows.

Offline chrisandersen24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grab a pole lets go fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:36 PM »
hey with the pic of the crappie where did you get the spring bobber on you jigging rod ? i would like to get some like that but cant find any around like that

let me know chris

i love the cold lets go fishing :)

Offline chrisandersen24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grab a pole lets go fishing
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:39 PM »
hey van where did you get the spring bobber on the rod in the pic. i would love to get some like that but cant find any around. let me know where you got them

thanks chris

Some more shallow water crappie caught in early afternoon. These were 10-13", and I tossed back a couple that were just shorter, and some smaller ones. All fish were caught on plastic, the venerable Ratso.
(Image removed from quote.)

i love the cold lets go fishing :)

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:35 PM »
It looks to me van has a Jason mitchell meat stick. No spring bobber, made that way.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I fished a large coontail weed bed in 10 fow gin clear ice and gin clear water,the bite was hot in early morning,but died after it got bright,fish became spooky,a lot of lookers but not many takers,son and I did keep 40 plus crappies over 10 inches a a few large shy bull gills.I say look for cover of weed beds and structure and use your machine,try different lures.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:12 PM »
ridgerunner is right on; the second pic is a Jason Mitchell Meatstick; no spring bobber. chris may have been thinking of the previous pic; St. Croix Legend. Good fishing and advice captain 54!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.