Author Topic: Modifications to Flip-overs  (Read 24249 times)

Offline IceeHot163

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "One step ahead, One step behind me"
Modifications to Flip-overs
« on: Sep 23, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Does anyone do any simple modification to their flip-over portables? I have a Frabill Recon DLX and was wondering what I should do to make it "better."   8)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Modifications to Flip-overs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Here's my recommendations (in no particular order) all of which are either done or about to be done to my Fish Trap Pro:

- Runners underneath for easy pulling
- Reflectix roof insulation if you don't have a "Thermal" model to cut down condensation
- Built in LED lighting
- Built in or removable rod holders
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2010, 11:27 AM »
I realized my post is useless without pictures, so:

Runners:

Reflectix:

Rod Holder (second one on the way for this season):

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Yes it's time to get mods going so they are done for this season.
Fish on!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I jacked mine up like this ,pulls a lot better by hand,Add LED lighting, 1 strip on each tube ran wires up the tube insides. each has its own switch so I can turn on 1 or all 4. 12 volt accy. plug, rod storage compartment,changed out clam seat to old boat seat, rod holders. Got to get it out of storage and will post photos later.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Going to get my portable out of storage this evening. I will be:
- Wiring two LED light strips. Running the wires thru the poles (hopefully).
- Attaching the new Clam battery bracket for an accessory battery.
- Attaching a computer fan to the top support to circulate the air and reduce condensation.
- Installing toggle switches between the seats for the lights and fan, and running the wires to the battery.
- Installing hyfax runners.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2010, 06:32 PM »
CMMahy,
The reflectix is a great idea. How exactly did you attach that to your ice house fabric? Does it stay pretty tight and not too bulky? Would like more info like where you bought it, how you applied it, etc. also, some pics of the built in lighting would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:23 PM »
I also installed Reflectix in my Yukon.  I just trimmed it to the width of the ceiling and starting in the front, cut slots for the velcro pole wraps and just sandwiched the foil between pole hoops and fabric.  No adhesives necessary and never moves when folded.  I did the ceiling only and it has made a tremendous difference in condensation drips and heating efficiency. I purchased it from our local ProBuild Hardware store.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:48 AM »
Here's my recommendations (in no particular order) all of which are either done or about to be done to my Fish Trap Pro:

- Runners underneath for easy pulling
- Reflectix roof insulation if you don't have a "Thermal" model to cut down condensation
- Built in LED lighting
- Built in or removable rod holders

That about sums up the mods I did last year to my flipovers. I wouldn't mind making a battery compartment or getting one of the battery holders that clam has come out with this year. I would like to add some more rod holders for the extra rods that are pre-rigged for changing-up the presentation. I just gotta get to work on 'em I guess.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:51 AM »
copperjohn, thanks for the info. I'm new to the site and noticed the search option at the top of the page and searched reflectix and some installation methods popped up. Thanks for the info.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I installed my reflectix the same way as copperjohn, and have been super happy with the results with eliminating overhead condensation. The tent is slightly bulkier when folded up, but not so much as to be a problem. I bought mine from Home Depot, I bought the 2' wide x 10' long roll, cut it to 2, 5' long pieces and taped them together with the special foil tape to form the roof piece. It cost about $30 if I remember correctly. I reinforced around the holes with tape as well to prevent any tearing.

I wouldn't mind making a battery compartment or getting one of the battery holders that clam has come out with this year.

I'm most likely going to try and make one from thin plywood, and mount the fuses and switches right to it, but we'll have to see where I can find room. Though the Clam Power Center looks really slick, and reasonably priced. I really want to get the LED light's installed for this season, should make a big difference in night fishing.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:14 AM »
i made rod holders for my shanty. just stuff from the hardware store. it took some work though. theyre small, effective, and dont need to be taken off and put away. they stay right where they are all the time, so theyre pretty convenient.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:18 AM »
here they are in use. theyre mounted to the front lip of my shanty, which is a trap pro. you can see in the pic my entire seat assembly is moved to the left. one rod holder is between my legs and the other one is to my right. one other mod to the seat assembly, i took the "swivel" off. i dont miss it.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:20 AM »
here is my night-fishing lighting...well, part of it...the best part.

note: this is looking through the back of the shanty. (through the rear trap-link door)

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:25 AM »
i have four LED ropes attached to two of my overhead shanty support frame bars. the ropes are attached with "crystal clear packing tape". the LED bulbs are "aimed" down onto the fishing area (very important!) i custom-made the power cord. see how the "cord" is an almost perfect fit to the ends of the four light strings. (keeps it taut, which keeps it out of the way)

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:29 AM »
this is the "power" end of the cord. that is a 5.5 ah battery. the blue you see is a bungee that i custom made to hold this battery (i have two of the same battery...sometimes i bring the spare) one end of the bungee is attached to the black shanty pole bracket. the bungee keeps it from getting banged around too much but it will not keep it in place during transport to/from the lake. the power cord wraps up pretty small and i have a wire twisty built on it (you can see it in the above pic) so that i can tie it up, and it stays under my seat in the hammock. so all i need to do is remember to bring the 5.5 battery and im good to go for night fishing!

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Wow hard. That is awesome! Bet its lit up like noon in there at night. How much did that run you to put in?

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2010, 10:43 AM »
thanks man. it isnt quite that bright but its acceptable. i put a lot of thought into it and it took me a couple of seasons to perfect it. at first i only had two strings, but then in the spring i found some more on sale and thought about doubling up. i think to buy all the stuff cost me about $95. ill bet some of that relfective material posted above would help "catch" some of the light wasted into the shanty fabric.  8)

here is what i use to anchor my shanty for windy days. i rarely use it, but its nice to have. when you need it you really need it. this is another thing that stays under my seat in the hammock, its feather-light (aluminum) and nothing special is required other than drilling an anchor hole.

if its easy, helpful, and convenient, the mod is a good mod.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2010, 10:47 AM »
the rope runs through it, from rope hole to rope hole is about 7", because i use an 8" auger. one other thing i did was wrapped the aluminum with teflon tape to keep a bond from forming between the ice and the aluminum. i did that because when i first posted this people said it might freeze to the ice. the teflon wont "stick" to ice....i tested it in my freezer ;D

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2010, 10:53 AM »
this is how the shanty anchor attaches to the shanty....these are in the two pre-existing holes for the original location of the seat assembly.

to actually use this, the shanty anchor hole should be drilled first, then the anchor is set up and the shanty is pulled snug against the anchor. then the fishing holes are drilled. thats the best way anyhow.

im not saying this is the best anchor set-up, but this is what i do.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Very nice hardwater, Awesome ideas,thanks for sharing

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:00 AM »
thanks signmoney. thats what its all about. lets all kick some ideas around.

what else...well, i have replaced my pull rope with a longer one. i have installed runners on the bottom of my shanty. ive carpeted the inside of the shanty. (i wonder if a layer of reflectix under the carpet would help any?) any thoughts? another thing i did, my '04 pro came with a rear spreader pole, which i never use, so i cut the pole clip off of the pole and installed the pole clip onto the handle of a 2-tube fluorescent lantern that i have so that i can hang the lantern on the horizontal shanty pole which is behind my right shoulder. also, i cut some aluminum foil and taped it to the inside of the lantern so that the light wont shine into the shanty fabric.

just a tip, not really a mod, but i always keep a roll of paper towels under the seat, and in the "center tube" i always jam 4 or 5 plastic bags for trash. i always end up with some trash in a bag at the end of the day. it just makes it easier.

hmmm.... i think that is about everything that ive done so far.

one question for everyone.....regarding "sticky poles"....does anyone notice/suspect that the "push buttons" themselves are the cause of sticky poles? if i look at my buttons they look ground down, like theyre grinding the inside of the poles. id like to replace my button assemblies within the poles or do something....but im not sure what. i think this is also why theyres metal flakes all over the place at the bottom of the poles. its the pole buttons....

one other minor-mod ive been thinking about is some kind of vertical rod holders, on the back of the seat maybe (in the folded down position), to hold and protect the rods when walking to and from spots and the lot. i do have those two rod holders but they hold the rods at an angle and after a while they get bumped out of them.....also sometimes ill have more than two rods....dont want to bring any more buckets or anything "large"....im maxed out now.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:29 AM »
two other things that ive done, not shanty mods, just things ive done, im happy i did them so maybe someone else will get use out of this.

the first thing is so simple its not really a mod or anything, some scoops come like this but mine didnt and it really comes in handy. its just a sticker with measurements on it. i put it on here so that it reads "0.0" exactly at the round part of the scoop for measuring ice thickness. after i put the sticker on, i covered the whole thing with a layer of that crystal clear packing tape to make it more durable.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:30 AM »
you can take measurements of the ice with it:

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:32 AM »
and fish ;D

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:35 AM »
the purpose of this auger mod is to add measuring ice thickness and drilling a hole into one step. the idea is, once you drill a hole, just move the auger to the side of the hole and check the ice.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:38 AM »
sine the auger "screw" has a "high point", its only accurate when you check against the black line, which lines up with the high point of the screw.

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:40 AM »
this comes in most handy when youre the first one on the lake, or blazing a new trail, drilling check holes. just one more tool to have at your disposal. i have drilled a hole or two that was in the lower RED zone, and ive gotten out of there.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #28 on: Oct 03, 2010, 10:41 AM »
and fish ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Gotta get a scoop like that, works great! Nice Crappie!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Awesome looking work hardwaterfan, thanks for sharing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.