Author Topic: Making a Hali-like rig  (Read 9141 times)

P Gottshall

Making a Hali-like rig
« on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:49 PM »
I like Hali's, but came up with this rig once I got tired of paying for them.  I believe this works as effectively.  I use small Walleye spinners, which are about $0.20 each.

Paul

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: Making a Hali-like rig
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I like Hali's, but came up with this rig once I got tired of paying for them.  I believe this works as effectively.  I use small Walleye spinners, which are about $0.20 each.

Paul

(Image removed from quote.)
…………………………………………………..

I like this idea.  I have never used this rig.  Does it work?  Any thought?

AltaIce    @)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I like it, but have a few questions.

If I am reading the diagram correct. It shows you are looping the line through the beads twice to hold them in place. If I remember correctly once you loop string around or through and object twice and essentially kink the string. You can create a weak point, and almost reduce your string # capacity in half.

When targeting small panfish species this may not be a problem. But if you happen to pick up a nomad pike or walter, you may end up broke off more than not. 

My suggestion would be to let the beads and blades float freely above the hook by using a common bobber stop. This way you don't impart any stress points on the line, and can adjust the distance from your hook to your element of attraction.

EDIT: Just saw the post was from 2004, don't think that guy will be responding back anytime soon.   :icefish:
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I've done this with inline spinners, remove the treble hook on one and tie on a short leader with a hook at the end.  Bait it up with a worm or piece of cut bait and it's proven itself over and over again on brookies.  Colorado, willow, in-line blades, any will do, the key is not letting the rig tangle up on it self when jigging, it will happen if you get to aggressive with it but lifting it fast and short triggers strikes sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.