Author Topic: Anyone use metal studs framing ice shack???  (Read 57136 times)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Anyone use metal studs framing ice shack???
« on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Anyone? Thinking about using them on my build. :-\
Is it ice time yet???

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
Re: Anyone use metal studs framing ice shack???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Good Afternoon Snowpro,

I'd recommend taking a look through the ice shanty section here - There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding metal studs vs. wood for ice shanties.  Good luck!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=33.0
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I am not worried about the metal part ! Seems like alot of people think they sweat alot but my snopro did till i got 2 sliding windows and leave them cracked about 1/4 inch or so! More interested in building methods as this my first time with metal ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2010, 05:54 PM »
I am not worried about the metal part ! Seems like alot of people think they sweat alot but my snopro did till i got 2 sliding windows and leave them cracked about 1/4 inch or so! More interested in building methods as this my first time with metal ;D

OK, fair enough - Good luck
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Trooper Bri

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Us flatlanders don't have much use for hardsides, but they do appear now and again. ;)

It works fine for shanties. This one was studded with steel. The track sections of steel studding box nicely, and the roof was constructed that way. Luan for sheathing, then foilboard insulation over that, then vinyl siding. The roof was luan and tin. Based on a snowmobile trailer, it could do 55mph before getting squirrely.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 06:51 PM »
What did your shack/trailer weigh, Trooper Bri?
How was the inside finished?  More pics of the finished product? interior?

MD

Trooper Bri

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 08:49 PM »
This wasn't my shack Mainedog. It's my buddy Ron's brainchild. He suffers from Restless Hand Syndrome, like some of us do. I just helped and took pics. ;)

We never weighed it, so I don't have an exact number. The shack was designed to haul the Arctic Cat 400 quad that tows it on the ice. So between the two, we were a tick overloaded I'm sure. Especially when we filled the benches with gear. After 2 seasons of use, we could see a noticable amount of negative camber on the trailer tires. But that could have easily been fixed by installing a beefier axle.

I put up a post on the build a couple years ago. Here's the link:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118906.msg1162902#msg1162902

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I used metal studs on my 5x10. I sheathed it in 1/4" CDX and have never had a problem. Steel studs get a majority of their strength from the sheeting, so I went with sheeting inside and out.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Steadyj_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Trooper Bri

im in the midst of building an 8x10 this weekend with metal studs... do you have any more pictures of the hut you guys did? like maybe a couple for the roof?? i'll take a look at any pictures you are willing to share

tight lines

Jeff

Trooper Bri

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I never did any closeups. But it was built to code here 16" on the studs, using the recommended screws.

I only have this one, but you can see how it's built. The length of the track section required to meet at the peak, plus a tab trimmed to a length that equals the width of the track.
You can see the track is screwed upside down and then bent over to meet the peak. To really make a strong roof, box in the track from the inside of the shack. It takes a little tin snip work, but once sheathed with luan, can support a person easily.

Offline lund94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • icediver
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:04 AM »
Guys, I have a question about using metal studs.  Every assembly I've seen is held together with screws.  But the screw heads stick up above the surface of the metal......so what happens when you go to add the siding or drywall?  Is there a gap because of this?

thanks ???

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Technicly yes. But it doesn't make a bit of difference in the long run.
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I cant get a picture to post but it is on this site somewhere. I used the small metal studs. 2" blue styrafoam insulation fits tightly in between. Turned out awsome. And very light. Covered sides with tin and the roof with black lexan. I have the pics on my computer at work if anyone wants i can email them.

Offline redsox3811

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:37 PM »
How much does the whole the weigh on the trailer?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.