New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: landlocked salmon  (Read 8020 times)

Offline perch patrol

• IceShanty Rookie
landlocked salmon
« on: Sep 02, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I was just wondering what a landlocked salmon actually is.  Is it a certain species of salmon or a broad description of salmon that is landlocked because it is in a lake.  Also does anyone catch them and where because I have been fishing ny for about 13 years but have never really targeted salmon. mainly because I don't know the lakes that have good populations. any info would be much appreciated.  God i can't wait for Ice summer fishing is ok but nothing beats hardwater action.

Offline jd110tlb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: landlocked salmon
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Landlock salmon are Atlantic salmon that are land locked . cant tell you where to catch them ;) but i bet if you lookup where they are stocked and then which ones are open for ice fishing it might give you a good idea where to catch them ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Here is a good place to start...     http://nyfisherman.net/senecalandlocked.html
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2010, 05:53 AM »
 Piseco Lake in Hamilton county has a population of land locked salmon.
  Steve

Offline Fatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010, 03:26 AM »
I pulled a 32" LLS threw the ice a few years ago at Piseco lake.  I had my tip up set up in 4' of water about 5' from shore.  That was a nice fish.

Offline perch patrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:09 PM »
thanks for all the information guys, I will definitely look in to it

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Lake george has a good population of LLS, so does otsego. I've had best luck fishing right under the ice in anywhere from 5' to 60' of water but set tipup right under ice down to about ten feet small treble hook with 6lb. flourocarbon leader tipped with and emerald shiner

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 08:39 PM »

Land lock salmon are a sub species of the Atlantic salmon but they do not migrate to the ocean even if they have open acess to the sea.If you were to take an Atlantic salmon and a land lock salmon filet them and put them side by side you would not be able to tell the apart. You can catch them in LG,the sacandaga, and Lake Eaton there are more but I can't think of them now. The best way to fish them is to set your tip ups 3 to 10ft. under the ice, small trebbles and iceicles. Try this tip drill 2 holes one for tip up then another one in case you get a flag and the fish is not there try jigging the adjacent hole and sometimes they'll hit your lure. Also the best I found to catch them is first ice, one year I was out on LG with 2" of ice ,I caught 6 it was a good thing that there was 4 of us. Its lots of fun and good eating.

Offline rbmitchell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:20 PM »
One species of land locked salmon is the Kokanee.  This is a landlocked version of the Pacific red, or Sockeye, salmon and has a fine pink texture.  NY State DEC has provided fish for stocking lakes and streams.  Glass Lake (region 4) used to be stocked until about 2003 but there proved to be no tributaries to the lake where the fish could spawn.  After the fishes normal life span of abut four years, they have all been caught or died off.  There have been no kokanee in the Glass Lake for many years now.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2010, 08:45 AM »
As said LL's are atlantic salmon,they are found in numerous lakes throughout the state... live bait and jigs seem to work best for me close to the ice.....

Here's a nice chubby one I caught on the fullton chain last season
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline perch patrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2010, 02:29 PM »
nice fish man! wow they look pretty similar to a big brown

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2010, 07:08 PM »
they can be mistaken for browns & brown for LLS but their upper jaw plate extends past their eye socket..
Schroon lake has a good population of LLS:

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2010, 09:09 AM »
nice fish man! wow they look pretty similar to a big brown

I can see by your post count you haven't been on here long.... there is a long and heated thread on the difference between browns and llsalmon... some think they are hard to differentiate, to me personally haveing caught hundreds of both species they have so many differences I can't figure out how one would confuse them..but at the same time I can...they are basically cousins genetically speaking...

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2010, 09:23 AM »
ok so here's the million dollar question....  places that have native landlock Salmon....  if they're Atlantic salmon that are now in a lake, how did they get there??!!  or is it that no lake has natives..  every landlocked salmon has been stocked at one time or another???

Offline freddiethej

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2010, 09:46 AM »
landlocked salmon are atlantic salmon.  after the glaciers retreated they became landlocked in lakes and rivers that used to have an opening to the sea.  they breed naturally, running up rivers from the bigger lakes, like champlain.  but also now stocked.

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:58 PM »
ok so here's the million dollar question....  places that have native landlock Salmon....  if they're Atlantic salmon that are now in a lake, how did they get there??!!  or is it that no lake has natives..  every landlocked salmon has been stocked at one time or another???
no not every population of landlocks has been stocked at one time or another.  There are 4 watersheds in the state of Maine that hold populations of native landlocks.  Unfourtunetly all these systems have been stocked with the salmon the last couple decades and catching a  true "native" fish is rare now.  Geneticly these landlocks and true atlantics are almost identical.  landlocks do not grow nearly as large with the average adult being between 3-6 pounds, in my book a true trophy is anything over 7 pounds, and a 10 pounder is truly the catch of a lifetime.  They can attain larger sizes as the state of Maine once held the world record at 22 pounds but I have not heard of a salmon caught that was even close to approaching that size in years.
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2010, 12:07 PM »
  They can attain larger sizes as the state of Maine once held the world record at 22 pounds but I have not heard of a salmon caught that was even close to approaching that size in years.
new yorks state record is 24.15 caught in 97 I don't think we differenciate between ll and atlantic though....

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:41 PM »
new yorks state record is 24.15 caught in 97 I don't think we differenciate between ll and atlantic though....
theres speculation that the landlocked caught in Maine was a pure atlantic to, however these days, any bodies of water that may possible hold atlantics are goverened by regulations limiting the maximum size at which salmon can be kept to ensure protection of the atlantics, wouldn't be suprised if a couple big atlantics have been caught, but quickly released or not reported to avoid hefty pentalties
Its not a passion its an obsession

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.