Author Topic: Wind tip ups  (Read 8489 times)

valk_tourer

Wind tip ups
« on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:31 PM »
Anyone use wind tip ups?  How are they? 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Wind tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Wind tip-ups are good for days when the you know the hole will not freeze over (usually in March). When I do get a chance to use them I seem to get more fish on them verses my regular tip-ups. I attached a small lightweight silver spoon about a foot and a half above my bait. It seems to attract them better. Plus they are fun to watch when the fishing is slow :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:23 PM »
Wind tip ups for me almost always out fish stationary ones. I fish them even in bitter cold weather and by keeping them close and scooping the holes every 10 minutes or so they don't freeze up on me. Using HT polar vinyl coated tip up line will always keep the spools from freezing. I place the same jigs on the wind tip ups as I'm using for the other fish. Somebody makes these heated things or disks you can put in a hole to keep it ice free all day.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Here's a cheap way to make a windlass (really a tip-down):

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15813.0

Good luck,
Paul

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Anyone use wind tip ups?  How are they? 

I've been playing around with a "wind-jigger" add-on for my tip-ups for a few years and am still working out the bugs. They work well for jigging live bait and light jigs, but I want them to be able to jig heavier jigs. Here's a pic of an early prototype.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

P Gottshall

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2004, 05:52 PM »
Slammerman,

That looks really nice.  I don't understand the windlass though.  Do you have a pic from the side?

Thx,
Paul

Offline Norman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:23 PM »
I use the HT Windlass tip ups. They work great. I use the coated Dacron as I found the normal stuff tends to freeze after a fish runs. When there is no wind it is just like any other tipup. On cold and windy days I use hole covers to keep the snow out and keep the holes open longer. After using them a few times, under different conditions, you get to know what works best for you. They are very productive setups and would recommend trying them.
Experience is the name we give our mistakes!!

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Norman
I agree with you about using wind tip-ups,need coated line and hole covers. I like and use the jiggin Buddy WWW.tipup.net they will out fish my others on those windy days.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:48 PM »
I like them!  Other than being a little bulky in the sled they work pretty well for me.  It takes some getting used to but I like to use them with rapalas and airplane jigs. It really gives your spread of tip-ups a different look depending on the wind.  I find a gusty day as the best as it gives the lure a hard jig.  Make sure you play around with the spring setting before you venture out as it can be pretty frustrating first time.  The other thing is make sure you have your drag set so it doesn't free spool after the flag is tripped leaving you a bunch of slack line. Hope that helps!   :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Went out with my 10 year son this last past Sat.We set are jiggin buddy wind tip-ups alittle different this time.Beaded three green beads with a spinner blade and treble hook than are usually jig head.Usually catch bass and pickeral in this area.Wind was blowing slightly jigging tip-ups off and on.By ends day caught 8 pickeral and two brown trout.Fished this same area many times before and never caught trout before.My kid was so proud of those browns.Anyway I'm thinking those green beads had something to do with it.

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:24 PM »

My son first trout on his win tip-up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.