The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: dog sled pics - plans - or ideas  (Read 14487 times)

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
dog sled pics - plans - or ideas
« on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:56 AM »
hey guys, i'm going to build a dog sled and i'm looking for pics and recommendations from everyone.  my current ice fishing trailer is not working out, way to top heavy...which resulted in a crash last weekend on moosehead.  i caught a bad bump at around 35mph which caused the sled to tip over and make an instant yardsale of the place.  a bad hit that resulted in 5 gallons of bait spread everywhere and a broken auger handle.  not cool.  not to mention all the contents of the truck box went everywhere.

so now i'm going to weld up a new low center of gravity dog sled.  something i can go 40mph with.  please post pics of yours or post some must have features.  i've never built one and would like this dog sled to be my last one.

here is my sled pre-yardsale accident...i don't recommend anyone making one of these top heavy auger killers.

i searched for dog sled pics and only came up with otter & jet sled types.  i am looking to make a dog sled type. 
any ideas? 
suspension?

thank-you 

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
Re: dog sled pics - plans - or ideas
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Just my opinion...

Anything you build yourself would have to be pretty 1) wide, 2) heavy and 3) rugged to withstand 40 mph.
1) too narrow = twisty, flip over
2) too light - unstable in wind
3) too cheesy = won't last long

I don't think any sled is commercially available for such speeds because it simply isn't recommended.
Even your 35 mph seems a bit unnecessary. 

There are plenty of sled pictures right here on this site that folks have built , I saw dozens by going to the high traffic general forums. None of them looked like they would hold up to what you plan to do with it.

Good luck.
If you build one put some seats on it. Should be as good as any theme park amusement ride if the fishin' is slow. 
 ;D

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:21 AM »
here is a sled that I built last year. I don't go fast towing a sled but i bet this one would take it.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:36 AM »
here is a sled that I built last year. I don't go fast towing a sled but i bet this one would take it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice, JP......I've seen your work & I'm sure it could handle it......But I'm w/ you---- 40mph I think is asking for it. ::)....I think @ that speed you'd be better off w/ the gear strapped to your back. ;D......That way after the crash, you would be close to the auger & the rest of the equipment. :whistle:......LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Save yourself all the headaches and go with an Otter sled.... it will handle speeds well and with a few straps over it it will keep everything in it over any high speed moguls ;)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:48 AM »
My uncle could tell you about going fast on a dog sled! Dang near got killed going 20 miles per hour standing on the back of one! Went over a ridge and threw him for a loop!  :o
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:10 AM »
My uncle could tell you about going fast on a dog sled! Dang near got killed going 20 miles per hour standing on the back of one! Went over a ridge and threw him for a loop!  :o

Don't tell him that. You might get him to think????........Look what it says under his Avatar...... ::).Just messing w/ you Grey Boat. ;D.....I was young once; & survived it.( Was LUCKY,/ I learned "some", from others' mistakes)....LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Online Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:13 AM »
If you're going to have a big box like that up in the air, ideally you would have some suspension like the old skimo's or skiboose's. They have a simple leaf spring set up and are still topheavy.

I think you would be pleased with a big otter with a cover or ive seen boxes built right on top of the otter sled. They are definately better that dog sleds in that you dont need extra containers to hold everything. Ive never had a problem with tipping over with my jetsled xl.

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:57 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

nice dog sled jp!!  thanks for the pic.  i'd like to make something along those lines.  maybe room for a couple buckets behind the main "box".  one for bait and one for fry pan fish.  i would also like to enclose the main "box" because of snow spray and holding the gear in place.

that's a good idea to make it so someone can ride on the back of it.  then 3 guys could take just 1 sled to check the way, way out flag.

i want to run with some speed because some fishing spots are 10+ miles from camp.  going 10 mph would take an hour to get there.  going around 40 would help considerably.  trust me...i don't have a death wish.  2 kids and mommy would be sad if the bread winner was gone.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2010, 02:49 PM »
keep your truck box and just build skis right on the bottom of the box, decrease the ski hight.., place heavy objects in the center of the box, take the auger bit off the motor so it fits in the truck box. then build a second box off the back.. for your buckets.. and weld your tow hit to the top of the box, or mid way up the box.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Those were my thoughts too Dukblaster. If your fabricating,I would make a wider cross member for the skis, and try to find an old set with springs on them. To absorb the bumps a little better. Mounted directly to a cross member of channel steel should be lower and more stable.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:26 PM »
I fish with an Otter Sled. I have and still do run 40 to 50 MPH if I have to. They will take it and I dont worry about my stuff falling out with the Otter cover over the top. The only thing they dont like is hitting a tree on a cold (-20) morning. They will break.  ;D ;D ;D Other than the Otter I have yet to find anything that will out work these.  Also if you have to skim open water they float and you can keep right on skimming.  ;D ;D ;D Good luck in your search.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I don't know if you have seen them, but Sebago docks, has built a half dozen or so all aluminum ones.  They are the
best dog sled I have ever seen.  Unfortunately they don't give them away.  He is selling them at a reduced price now at
$375.00.  If I needed one that is the one I would not hesitate to buy.  They have them on Rte 302 in the Raymond/Windham area.

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:42 PM »
the otter would be nice but that thing is expensive.  to let you know my budget...i started out using a truck hood as a sled.  that thing likes to swing wide on the corners if you know what i mean.  then i though i had a cadillac with my truck box rig.  turns out it cost me an expensive auger handle and 3 dozen baitfish.  that crash was the only time i ever needed a yard rake while ice fishing.  it took a while to clean-up after that mess.

i have enough materials laying around to fabricate one up for free...if you don't count the time.  just looking for ideas.  i'm definitely taking someones advice and make it so someone can ride on the back of it.  also...i might have to rob some ski's from a couple old citations out back for the "suspension" ski's     ;D

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:12 PM »
on CL there was a cool looking "rescue sled" i thought it would make a nice platform to work on "ice assault sled"  ;D

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:24 AM »
Save up and get an otter.  You will not regret it.  I have yet to see a home made rig, excepting some really expensive aluminum ones, that will beat an otter.  They are not that expensive.  You can run fast, go thru water, slush etc without getting anything wet.  They tow really easy with a full load.  Whats not to like?

Offline greatcatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:46 AM »
An Otter sled  is the way to go,  I love mine!

I understand money is tight right now BUT if you start saving a few bucks a week you'll be all set

for next season! ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:59 AM »
I also have to vote for the otter!   It definatly proved its worth  at moosehead where I didnt feel comfortable on the ice  and I learned 70% of the Potential of my sled and towing the otter magnums with an otter hitch I had no worry (now)    be wary of a hitch that has a piviot point where it attaches to the snowmobile   from what I saw that day a hitch needs to be solid!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cutemalljack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:52 PM »
You've got to back her down son!!!

Set you alarm clock to get up a few minutes earlier and spend that time safely traversing the pressure ridges. Particularly when your good buddy is riding on the back.

Your current sled is perfect, you just need to put your buddies on a diet.

Also, an occasional yard sale across the ice can really help simplify and streamline what gear you "need" and what you can do without.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:18 PM »

Also, an occasional yard sale across the ice can really help simplify and streamline what gear you "need" and what you can do without.
that is sooo hard to do   But this last trip I made yesterday I was able to cull down some of the stuff I haul went from 2 magnum sleds to 1 magnum and a small otter sled!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:27 PM »
culling out equipment?  are you crazy?  i'm one of those guys that brings the kitchen sink and then some. 
actually...i was thinking about adding a potato gun to the rig...it's all about good times.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:16 AM »
that is sooo hard to do   But this last trip I made yesterday I was able to cull down some of the stuff I haul went from 2 magnum sleds to 1 magnum and a small otter sled!

Holy crap hazzy.  That was culled???????????

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Slow down. Keep it under 25. Even with a jet sled or otter there is no suspension and you are beating the crap out of everything you own. JP's dogsled is what my buddie has and they work awesome but again, no suspension. 40 is not recommended. I have ridden 2 guys on the back of the dog sled, it works good but I have yet to meet the guy that wants to ride it over about 20. I have also seen a few take pretty good diggers from the back too. Ten miles at 25 takes less than a 1/2 hour. Life is too short to "be in a hurry"  ;D

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:10 AM »
mines similar made from a big plastic truck box, ive never dumped it with the wheeler with even three people sitting on it with one holding an auger. when i built mine the pivot goes side to side with some action up and down, but its pretty fixed from much tilting action, maybe look at the pivot design a little closer. mines alot longer and probably doesnt jump as much but it is still on the narrow side

Offline cutemalljack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:20 PM »
The potato gun is a necessity for next season. I hate seagulls. Would be awesome to get into a gull with a heavy spud.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:05 PM »
The potato gun is a necessity for next season. I hate seagulls. Would be awesome to get into a gull with a heavy spud.

Potato!  Heck!  Use yellow perch!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I added a "box" top to my JetSled XL this year.  Two doors.  1/4" plywood, coated with West Marine
epoxy on the outside, then painted black, and a bit of aluminum trim.  With the UHMW strips on the bottom
of the Jet Sled, and a heavy duty hitch from Shappell, I was pleased with this rig.  It's not too heavy; holds
a ton!  Still pulls easy.  Provides protection for my gear.  Serves as a wind break and a table or a seat.
Just thought I'd throw this out.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Very wise and a very nice job.  I like it better than the open style.  Weighs a little more but the benefit of dry equipment
inside offsets the weight.

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2010, 01:31 PM »
can you still fit an auger in there with the doors closed ???
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:32 PM »
can you still fit an auger in there with the doors closed ???

Yes.  I usually carry the blue foam flooring squares, and my Shappell 6000, Mr. Buddy,  5lb propane tank, a couple folding chairs (wooden), small aluminum folding table, a small 48qt cooler, extra jackets, etc.  I carry my auger, bait and pack basket (tip ups) on my snow sled/rack.  There is all kinds of room in that sled.  The box is 12" tall.  It is fairly light weight too.   I have even put my small jetsled inside it.  I pull the small one by hand when I set up my traps sometimes.  I think I posted a pictures of my snowsled/rack somewhere on here in the past.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.