Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Apr 17, 2014, 09:27 AM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Slammer Tip ups and SubZero ice shanties  (Read 17528 times)

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
Re: Slammer Tip ups and SubZero ice shanties
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Been there ... done that ...

" Most of these home-made contraptions have a plastic tube rod holder that is NOT adjustable, could break in cold weather, and could freeze your rod butt in solid. The open coil-spring design of the Slamco rod-holder (derived from the now defunct Jo-Boy line of rod-holders developed by Joe Calkin) eliminates rod-holder "freeze-up", is adjustable, and absorbs torque applied by big fish cranking on your rod. Whip-Ups, Trippers, Blammers, etc..  are custom built to fit a particular rod - your rod breaks and you're done (little or no adjustability). Other devices copying the old "no-moving-parts" prototype are also appearing using a wire mounted on a vertical arm to hold your rod tip. ALMOST ALL OF THESE "TAKE OFF" DEVICES COMPRESS YOUR ROD UNNATURALLY AND COULD CAUSE BREAKAGE !!! "

"If it's not a Slammer Tip-Up from Slamco ... then it's not a Slammer"

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

P Gottshall

« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2005, 06:07 PM »
Come on Slammer,

Nobody's criticizing your design.  I think we've been complimentary to you about it, & think you have a good thing for larger fish.

But, I think you may be suffering from the "Not Invented Here" syndrome.  I think bilditrite's design ("contraption") has some nice features, & I'll give him credit too.

His rod butt is not going to freeze in - the holder is twice the diameter of the rod butt.  It could break in cold weather if thin-wall PVC is used, but thicker is pretty robust.  Most of us don't need to worry about our equipment getting thrown across the ice during a snowmobile rollover, so it's probably not an issue.

Rod's are flexible, & will take the torque of a fish pulling.  If too much, the drag will cut loose.

I think it's pretty cool to see guys making their own equipment, & think a lot of the ideas posted here, including this one, will be very effective & cost effective.  In the spirit of this site, I think it's more useful to be supportive, perhaps making recomendations for improvements.  The model-T was a good car, but I'm glad it was continually improved.  Everything can be improved.

I think most guys here appreciate hearing new ideas, even in their infancy.  If we have 1000 sets of eyes looking at it, we can't help but make it better.  I'd encourage everyone to not worry about their ideas being "perfect" before posting.  Heaven knows I don't! ;D

Have fun,
Paul

billditrite

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

• R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2005, 06:28 PM »
for the 10 bux  i paid for the rod and the half hour i got into the thing it works awesome!!ill take my chances. who invented this thig in the first place??

P Gottshall

« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2005, 06:31 PM »
Scott,

Can I have some of that coffee?  I like Hazelnut cream. . .

Paul

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:36 PM »
This is mainly in response to Paul,

Sorry, but I pasted that quote from my website - it's been around for years. It's sometime too easy to copy and paste.

What I criticize is people calling their "contraptions" Slammers. They're not - the name's even trademarked. I'd like to hear of some new names for rod-holder devices - I like the Gott-Trap for one.

Here's a tip ...  use a rubber inline bobber stop for a depth marker.

Now here's some thoughts for improving designs ....

Rods DO break when compressed unnaturally and freeze TO PVC under the right conditions (usually just the bottom of the rod or the foam or cork grips stick to the walls) - I've also seen PVC break (usually at the screw or nail holding it to the board with a fish cranking on it). Rods also change behavior under different temperatures. Those who build and set and rig most of their rod-holder contraptions usually do so indoors at room temperature .... they don't behave the same on the ice. Did you build your device to the rod?? What happens if your rod gets broke somehow?? Can you buy another rod and adjust your device to fit the new rod in seconds?? Most of the designs I've seen have little or no adjustability. This is why I see rods break on the ice in homemade contraptions and why I designed Slammer Tip-Ups.

I give credit where credit is due. I'm sorry but all of the homemade rod-holder contraptions that I've seen on this site are either take-offs of some design of mine, the Slamco design team, or a design we tried and passed up on years ago. We used mousetraps, gun triggers, downrigger releases, wire tip-holders, custom machined tip-holders, hooks, screws, bolts, pins, string, etc.. etc ... "been there .. done that ..." and the Richie Ring Release worked the best under a majority of different conditions. If someone shows me a release design that works better, then maybe we'll use your design and give you all of the credit instead of Richie.

I've seen a number of homemade contraptions "work" and fish caught with them. I've also seen a number of rods broken, frozen in, wind-trips, temp. change trips, vibration trips, tangled lines, missed fish, spooled reels, line blown across the ice, fall-overs, rods yanked into holes, and other mishaps with homemade contraptions. Funny how I haven't seen that with Slammer Tip-Ups.

I'm just waiting to see something that actually impresses me .... like the Ice Master Drill Adapter with the bungee cord that goes around the back of your drill and retaining ring compared to the other auger/drill adapters on the market with discs and bars or nothing on them to prevent the adpater from falling out of the chuck and losing your auger head. Now that actually impressed me.

Billditrite - no one knows who designed the first Whip-Up - they're probably dead by now. In my eyes, it's a poor design due to little or no adjustability, the line tends to get tangled in the release, the rod is compressed, and there's a lot of line hanging from the release to the hole. Same with Trippers except I see more broken rod tips with them.

Sorry guys if I sometimes sound "grumpy". My wife says it's having to deal with traffic living near Detroit now. We plan on eventually moving back to West Michigan.
Maybe I just need to go fishing, eh?

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2005, 11:41 PM »
This site is great, the slammerman himself gets on board to critique our humble creations. This was originally seen by me in the In-Fisherman magazine, I would love to hear your comments about that Mr. Slammerman? they called it a steelie slammer in the short piece they did on the thing. I truely like to call mine a walleye wacker.

Fm - Mr. Slammerman?? ... LOL ... would you like to see the original drawings I did for that piece in IN-Fisherman?? BTW - the dimensions in the article are wrong and that design never went into production. I can send you a copy of the article if you'd like. IN-Fisherman gave me the rights to use that article and the redrawn graphics for my website as well as the Whip-Up article. We originally sold them through the now defunct Virgil's Steelhead & Salmon Tackle Specialties and called ourselves The Slammer Tip-Up Company which was later incorporated as Slamco. They used both "Slammer Tip-Up" and "Steelie Slammer" in the article.

I guess that since I am one of the foremost experts on "Steelie Slammers" and similar devices, I'm allowed to throw in $.02 here and there, eh?

More tips ...

It's usually not a fish that busts your rod .... it's improper rigging and a sudden change in temperature that does it. Picture this ... Pentwater Lake, West Michigan ... everybody and their brother are out on the ice with contraptions that one guy copied from the rest and so on and so on .... some guys with Slammer Tip-Ups ... some with Trippers .... the sun peaks over the horizon and there's that slight temperature drop of a couple degrees ... SNAP !!! ... flop ..... CRACK ... whack ... there goes two rods in Trippers ... both snapped just below the tip ... no fish in sight .. OUCH!!! .... BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBE EP ... "FISH ON MATT" someone yells as I'm running towards my bouncing rod with the pager going off in my pocket ... a minute or two later and a fresh 8 pound steelie laying on the ice  ;)

Walleye Whacker is a good name too, but not new to me ... so sorry (got too many pro and semi-pro walleye fishin' buddies that like that one). Someone mentioned Pike Popper to me once and I've also heard Laker Ladler.

I'm prototyping an "in shanty" jigging rod-holder for jiggers and think I've got a name, but am always looking for suggestions.

billditrite

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2005, 01:19 AM »
how about the tougue-tugger! or the lipripper!!slammerman i appreciate your input and advice .i have already fashioned another bracket to my slammer to help support the pvc rodholder which is more than twice the sice of the whole . i was also delighted to see this thing dance in the wind!live bait has no chance of sitting still if theres the slightest of breezes.i caught i 14'' pickerel with mine so its pretty sensitive .

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2005, 01:29 PM »
how about the tougue-tugger! or the lipripper!!

Tongue-Tugger is a new one .... but I have heard Lip-Ripper before. Fish-Flinger is an old one also and is the nickname for a buddy's "left-handed" Slammer Tip-Up ... this Slammer's rod-holder and flag storage holes are on opposite sides than a regular Slammer .... his brother who did most of the wood-working on the first production Slammers got a set for him for Christmas and wanted one "left-handed" so his brother could tell them apart ... it got the nickname after it went off one day ... the rod tip was twitching so he knew he had a fish on .... instead of running AROUND the 20 yd pool of slush we'd been avoiding all day ... he ran straight through it grabbed his rod and yanked up ... the 6 inch perch ended up hitting him in the back of the head ... my dad and I almost fell off our buckets from laughing so hard

billditrite

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:40 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:  that must have been hilarious

wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Slammerman, I have bought 2 of your kits that were already put together . Matt , you know John from another site(msf) he didnt fish that way so I got his pair. Like using the slammer in shallow for `bows on higgins lake. Thanks...Maybe see you out near betsie bay for some steel slamm`n.

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:17 PM »
Slammerman, I have bought 2 of your kits that were already put together . Matt , you know John from another site(msf) he didnt fish that way so I got his pair. Like using the slammer in shallow for `bows on higgins lake. Thanks...Maybe see you out near betsie bay for some steel slamm`n.

Wolverine-iceman - I know what you're talking about. I haven't seen the Slammer Tip-Ups John made from kits, but I'm sure he did a good job on them - obviously they're working for you. Got any pics of those Higgins Lake Bows??

Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Maybe you forgot, I would be quite interested in the above mentioned items as I indicated in the PM I sent to you.
FM

FM - didn't forget ... been REALLY REALLY busy (and NOT fishin' either) .... will try to find old articles when I get all caught up ... will pm you about other stuff too
-Matt

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved