Author Topic: Freezing Perch?  (Read 12788 times)

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
Freezing Perch?
« on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I managed to get into some alright perch today. And a really nice pike as well. That is tomorrow's dinner.

I have always wondered what is the best way to freeze perch?, beside's putting it in the freezer What I am asking is I have about 8 perch I want to freeze for later on and I was wondering a good method of keeping them. I have ziploc freezer bags and now I wonder if I should...

A) Freeze em whole?
B) "10 second method" and freeze them with out guts and skin?
C) Gut em, cut the head off and freeze with skin on?

I usually eat my catch the same night but I am gonna indulge in the Pike first.
I just question cause I would like to prevent freezer burn if I can.

thanks for any advice

Cheers,

Anvil

~Gone Fishing~

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Freezing Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:34 AM »
All I can say is...I don't like to freeze fish filletes.  If filleted, salt bath or marianet them in the fridge. 

I will freeze the whole fish or just dressed them.  So I guess choice A or C.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:44 AM »
I've froze fillets for years and haven't noticed a difference between fresh and frozen. Just freeze in a bag of water.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2010, 03:16 AM »
Cool thanks,

I am going to keep some out for tomorrow and the rest I am going to try freezing in freezer bags and the others in water in a freezer bag.

I appreciate the suggestions.

~Gone Fishing~

Offline JG ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:24 AM »
freezing them in the water works good
flags a poppin

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:51 AM »
been freezing fillets in water for years.used to use cardboard milk cartons before bags were popular. i`ve had good luck with foodsaver vacuum system also.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:12 AM »
Freeze them in the cheap Ziploc vacuum pump bags they last for 3 months or more when defrosting add a little whole milk in water bath it will take away any "fishy" taste from freezing.but me I like my fish fresh, and I go with the seasons. Winter yellow perch summer and spring Seabass, Fluke and Striped bass, and if I am lucky Tuna, and fall Blackfish the best!! eating good luck

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Ive been freezing perch fillets in water for a million years now.....first in the milk cartons, thanks for the memories, and now in ziplock bags...they never taste fishy or unfresh.  I am intrigued with the vaccum sealing as that is how i do all of my venison, but havent tried it on fish yet.....and back in teh day, when fishing was tough, and we used to sometimes only get a few at a time, we would freeze them whole, and when we had a bunch, thaw them and fillet em...that workded too...

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:56 AM »
i freeze all my fish in water now. my dad argues with me every time i do it, dont bring me any of that fish that gets frozen that way. well sorry dad the last 5 years all the fish you have been eating has been that way. when i freeze my fillets i leave the skins on their easier to pull apart when their still a little stiff. after a litttle practice you'll see that skin to skin is easier to pull apart frozen than flesh to flesh is
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:08 AM »
1) put ziplock bag flat on counter top
2) place fillets flat in ziplock bag
3) close ziplock bag but leave tiny hole to fill with water
4) fill with water and push air out
5) stack bags of fish flat in freezer for freezing.
6) done.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:29 AM »
The best way is with a vaccume sealer.  Second best would be in water.  If you eat them in a month or two a freexer bag would be ok.  I flay them and never had a problem even a year later.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:44 AM »
6) done.

been doing that way for years also and it works well.

J-

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Ditto
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I soak my fillets in salt water for a couple of hours first. Don't think muddiness is a word but I am still using it  ;D ;D lol. It firms them up really nice and pulls out any "muddiness" that might be in them.  I then put the fillets in freezer bags with fresh water.  Very seldom do my fish have freezer burn or taste fishy, even if they have been frozen for six months or more. I also scale all my panfish except perch.  I leave the skin on because I love the flavor it gives the fish and when frying it holds them together.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I soak my fillets in salt water for a couple of hours first. Don't think muddiness is a word but I am still using it  ;D ;D lol. It firms them up really nice and pulls out any "muddiness" that might be in them.  I then put the fillets in freezer bags with fresh water.  Very seldom do my fish have freezer burn or taste fishy, even if they have been frozen for six months or more. I also scale all my panfish except perch.  I leave the skin on because I love the flavor it gives the fish and when frying it holds them together.
Definately freeze them in water. whatever you want to use Milk caton, bread baking tins ot zip lock. water keeps a fresh taste.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2010, 03:01 PM »
+15 on freeze them in water, I now just use the cheapest 1 gallon baggies that Wal-mart sells, the ones with the tie wrap, but I don't use the tie wrap, I put the fillets in the bag fill it with cold water just so it covers the fish, squeeze the bag till all the air is out and water is coming out the top get as much water out as you want just so the fillets are still covered, then spin the bag twisting it and tie a knot in the bag, and put in freezer, done deal. You can get a pack of 100 bags for a couple bucks. Then to thaw them I just soak the bag in water in the sink a hour or so and they are thawed. The fillets have a better texture if you keep them very cold before you cook them, don't let the fillets get warm, I thaw them until I just have to beak a little ice off them with my fingers before I bread them and throw them in the pan. Geez now my mouth is watering.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I use the FoodSaver as well. If I don't have enough for a meal I freeze them in an oversize bag. Then when I want to add more just open the bag, add fillets, and reseal. My buddy just had walleye that I froze two years ago for him and he reported that it was as good as fresh.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I've froze fillets for years and haven't noticed a difference between fresh and frozen. Just freeze in a bag of water.
that is what I do

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2010, 12:01 AM »
if you dont have a vacuum sealer then the ol water brick and ziplock will work...but since i purchased a foodsaver id rather eat a merganser than eat fish from a water brick...id rather buy a new food saver than invest in a flasher HANDS DOWN!...great for everything from vegetables to venison worth the investment

Offline perchBgood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2010, 07:04 PM »
ditto on the water and bag/container-works great and can last a year or more and still taste like ya just caught em

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I bought a 10 dollar vac sealer and it works great it is the reynolds handi-sealer I think. I am not a big fan of the water method, but it works. Up until I bought the vacuum sealer rarely would I freeze fish only keep what I can eat or give away now I have no problem freezing a meal for later hardly tell the difference.

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2010, 01:16 PM »
6) done.

exactly what I did

cheers

~Gone Fishing~

Offline Captain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:17 PM »
been doing that way for years also and it works well.

J-

Me too, and I own a vacuum sealer, but I still use water for my fish.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Fillet.  Freeze in ziplock with barely enough water to fully cover all fillets.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline Jewelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I skin them, put them in a freezer bag with water. That's it! They still taste great! Good luck!
Hey everyone,

So I managed to get into some alright perch today. And a really nice pike as well. That is tomorrow's dinner.

I have always wondered what is the best way to freeze perch?, beside's putting it in the freezer What I am asking is I have about 8 perch I want to freeze for later on and I was wondering a good method of keeping them. I have ziploc freezer bags and now I wonder if I should...

A) Freeze em whole?
B) "10 second method" and freeze them with out guts and skin?
C) Gut em, cut the head off and freeze with skin on?

I usually eat my catch the same night but I am gonna indulge in the Pike first.
I just question cause I would like to prevent freezer burn if I can.

thanks for any advice

Cheers,

Anvil

Offline Perchjerker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:54 PM »

Filet, rinse well and bag (ziplock freezer bags) put in enough water to push air out and seal...  just cooked the last bag from last season.... looked and tasted like fresh catch ! Been doing that for many years :)

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:24 AM »

I cover with water and freeze

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:41 PM »
heres another good way to get rid of the fishy taste from fish that have been in the freezer for a while. after you thaw the fish out give them abot a 10 minute soak in coca cola. the acids with neutralize the flavor and the coke will rinse out of the fillets clean. we use it to get the fish taste out of diver ducks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.