Author Topic: Hedgehog Pond, salem  (Read 4683 times)

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hedgehog Pond, salem
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I forget who it was but we talked about Hedgehog pond and poss of ice fishing not being allowed.

Well after some research and digging. NH F&G has no control over Hedgehog so it's a town run pond and would have town rules.

I talked with Chris who runs parks and recreation in Salem. He said you CAN ice fish, they have a sign up that says we don't messure ice thickness and are not responsible for any accidents.

The park is closed however you can park on the road and walk in. People have been skating and fishing this year he said as well.

So it's perfectly legal to ice fish here
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hedgehog Pond, salem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Hedgehog where is that located is that the one I want to say a little west of the mall near the fench builders  ???

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:05 PM »
That would be the one. It's on Rte 38. I think it might of been Icehole who asked??? I tried finding the post but forget what it was titled.

Offline Iceholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Quest for the Gold Flag
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Yep, twas me!

Cool, I may have to get over there and try it some afternoon.  I live right up the street!

have taken a couple decent bass out of there open water.

There are "No Parking" signs along the street though.... ???

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:35 PM »
I just PM'd you as you typed this post, good timing.

Ya the parking signs have been there forever, no worries on that. no one will ever ticket or tow you there. Also you could park on the side of the junkyard/electrical building there on the left side of the pon (facing it from Rte 38) or across street on side of gas station parking lot.

But I have and others always park there, never any problems on that. I even hunt behind the place during deer season and park there.

They stock 300 brook trout for the kids derby in the summer. I don't think they could hold over although I pulled out brookies up till Sept this year (last time fishing it). Water would already have gone thru hottest point of year so maybe???

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Hey SS did you pull any Brookies out or other fish I might try to hit it this weekend depends on the ice I was on newfound this past sunday and a sled and truck went in for a swim that day the truck in 100 ft of wtr and thats after a car went in earlier that week people dont heed the warnings from the local bait shops and heard about the guy on beaver with his atv sad thing

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Brookies is all you would get for trout at Hedgehog, that is assuming they have survived since last I was there. (late fall). There is bass, perch, pickerel and gill's as well. Small place, maybe 25 acres or so.

I would think it would be fun for the kids because poss good action but the fish are small here.

What species you going for? There are other places around I would recommened as well

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Sorry for the late response SS been painting in the house But I would like to go for trout mainly with the option for other species as well if the trout dont bite

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Beantown, I would recommend Canobie myself then. You have all the options there and chance for large fish compared to the 8 -14 inch stockie brook trout.

If you can, stay away from pumping station side. Fish down along southern end of lake near Rte 93/Island area. Nice sandy bottom, great drop off and if you want bass to picks, fish close and around the island. It's worth the walk..........

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:11 AM »
How do you think the ice conditions will be after all this weather and rain my buddy is very sceptical about going out and niether of us go out alone for safty reasons you know and do you park at the pump station and walk over there we have hit canobie this year at all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.