The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: derby rip off  (Read 5851 times)

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: derby rip off
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:26 AM »
I guess derby's like this make us appreciate the well run derby's that much more. Only thing I'm wondering is why they didn't just weigh the fish ya had before they sent ya back out fishing?
As for dirt guy's quality family time, my son and I have lots of that, but I also fish derby's with him so he has a chance to win something and feel proud of himself. He is also learning he won't win em all and should be happy for others that win too.
A lot of life's lessons can be learned from fishing, this would be one of them.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I guess derby's like this make us appreciate the well run derby's that much more. Only thing I'm wondering is why they didn't just weigh the fish ya had before they sent ya back out fishing?
As for dirt guy's quality family time, my son and I have lots of that, but I also fish derby's with him so he has a chance to win something and feel proud of himself. He is also learning he won't win em all and should be happy for others that win too.

Well said Tiny....your a GREAT DAD!!!!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:54 AM »

I can attest to what Tiny is teaching his boy and will be the first to say he is doing a super great job raising his son. Plenty of family time. Derbys are good if they are run great.  Hardwatergrampa would like to know where this crappy derby is so I dont waste my time or money there!  8) 8)

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:59 AM »
ok lets post the derby....if they haven't responded by now they are too late.   lets hear where it was

Offline gunrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:26 AM »
If anyone really has to know which derby,go to the dept. of inland fisheries and wildlife....look up derby permits...... ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:47 AM »
If anyone really has to know which derby,go to the dept. of inland fisheries and wildlife....look up derby permits...... ;D

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/derbies_tournaments/derbies.htm

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Must be #1 of these ;D

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:21 AM »
Must be #1 of these ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

getting colder!  ;)  this is becoming fun...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:41 AM »
HWG,  Not to get off thread but, Do you have a pic of the (should be) winning fish and grandkid.... If you don't send along my congrats for icing a winner to your granddaughter!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:42 AM »
HWG,  Not to get off thread but, Do you have a pic of the (should be) winning fish and grandkid.... If you don't send along my congrats for icing a winner to your granddaughter!

great call...

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:44 AM »
i just got off the phone with the sponsor of the milton 3 ponds derby and can under stand why some things went the way they did  sometimes mistakes happen and things dint go as planned  this sponsor has a good rep in the area with the sportmen and i be leave what he had to say was on the up and up  hopefully there next derby will run smoothly for them  i may go next year just to see how things go this sponsor said he would be on this afternoon noon with a post  and like he said he can only speak for himself and not the others
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:54 AM »
how about we just say all the kids were winners that day  as far as the fish catching went  ;)she will be reading this so she will get to see it
in god we trust

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:27 AM »
getting colder!  ;)  this is becoming fun...

Ah, no fair :pinch:

It wasn't a Maine derby  :unsure:

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:40 AM »
well dirt guy were you one of the judges if so why so many changes with the weigh in times  miss informed yes that's a true statement one paper says 4-11 and the other 4-1200  i showed up to be weighted in for the 11 weigh in and  iam told by the judges that the derby runs until 12. 15-20 minutes later the kids go in again to regester a fish and there told the derby ended at 11 by the same 3 guys that  sent them back out fishing  miss informed i should say sooooo

Nice way to treat the kids,bunch of idiots if ya ask me!!!

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Ah, no fair :pinch:

It wasn't a Maine derby  :unsure:

but it was here, he's a border-water type of guy  :tipup: ;)  http://www.wildnh.com/Fishing/fish_tournament_ice.htm

Offline nhpitbulls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:20 PM »
As I explained to hardwatergrampa I was asked to donate prizes for the derby and also asked if I would help in the weighing of the fish. I also was asked to let customers fill out there derby tickets in my store, That was it. I had nothing to do with the tourney what so ever in regards to the rules and times. That was handled by the town and the rec. dept. I apologize for the discrepency between the sign up and the carnival activity sheet, but again this had nothing to do with me, too many hands in the town trying to put on a touney. I will again help next year but I did explain to the town that I want to have control over the proper paperwork so that this error doesn't happen again. If they dont allow this then I wont get involved.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:54 PM »
There is absolutely no excuse for not putting forth a solid, well organized effort, regardless of who's putting it on. :tipup:

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:57 PM »
There is absolutely no excuse for not putting forth a solid, well organized effort, regardless of who's putting it on. :tipup:

......especially when kids are involved :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:09 PM »
great attitude!   for some reason anytime the towns get involved it all goes down hill   1 group doing it should always be the plan  thank you for responding here inquiring minds wanted to know  lol   just hate seeing kids get stung esp by adults   Hardwatergrandpa   what was the weight of the fish they caught   if it was the top #  maybe we can get a team Maine prize going!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:35 PM »
great attitude!   for some reason anytime the towns get involved it all goes down hill   1 group doing it should always be the plan  thank you for responding here inquiring minds wanted to know  lol   just hate seeing kids get stung esp by adults   Hardwatergrandpa   what was the weight of the fish they caught   if it was the top #  maybe we can get a team Maine prize going!
:clap: :thumbsup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:39 PM »
great attitude!   for some reason anytime the towns get involved it all goes down hill  

You couldn't be more wrong with that statement Hazzy.  There are some fine Town organized kid events out there, just have to be committed to doing it right. ;)

Related, although not town run, the kids portion of the Muskie Center derby this weekend coming is done as well as the adult portion. 8)

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Does anyone know what FET Inc. in Scarborough stands for?
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Finally...What does the Town have to say? Not much i bet. Still ..Thanks to all who helped. I never did anything right the first time around. Hopefully everyone involved will try again, with better praise.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »
When someone first mentioned this derby I said not to expect much. It's always run half-assed, rules change every year, and it's nothing like any other small derby I've been to. I don't think they do it on purpose, I think they have no clue how to do it.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:12 PM »
thanks guys but please dont do that i dont think it would send the right message to the kids an offer was made by the responding sponsor and i declined that as well i just didn't feel that all the kids got a fair shake and wanted to bring it to the derby officials attention so that this doesn't happen again thanks guys for your input on this thread it was a help getting to the bottom of this thank you  also  nhpitbull  for your help as well hopefully the other players in this derby will learn from this as well
in god we trust

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:41 AM »
nhpitbulls
this was not bashing you  it is a positive attitude  I like that   Just making it clear as I typed it slower than the other posts got in on it   Thankyou for your consern
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.