The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: derby rip off  (Read 5852 times)

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
derby rip off
« on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:32 PM »
i took 2 of the grand kids 2 a kids derby today derby was to run from 8-12 for the kids and 8 to 4 for the adults  when we signed up for the derby the tickets said 8 to 11 for the kids derby  i asked the people putting on the derby what the official stop time was for the kids derby they said 11 but the awards would not be given out until noon OK fine  so took the kids out fishing picked up at 1030 to go regester their fish derby judges at the weigh in tell me we can fish until noon so several groups head back out on the pond to fish i stop and tell a few parents that they can keep fishing until noon  so they put there traps back in and fish as well   shortly after we set back up my grandaughter lands a boardable fish i told he to take it in and have it weighed in  on her way back out she stops and talks to tom and his wife   thinking she bragging about getting on the board  my grandson and i walk over to see how she did  she tells me they wouldn't let her regester the fish said she would have gotton on the board with the fish but the kids derby ended at 11  i told her to come with me and we find out what was up  i ask the judges why she cant enter he fish and he says the derby ended at 11 i said we were here at 10:45   to tag in our fish and you said the derby ran till 1200  noon  the judges said they changed their minds and went back to the 11 cut off time  asked if that was fair to the people that went back out fishing  or the one that stayed out fishing  until 11:45   HIS REPLY WAS OH WELL MISTAKES HAPPEN  i gave them a small piece of my mind  and asked if it was still 4:00 pm for the adults he said yes  OK i said so long as iam in line at 4 my fish will be weighed  his reply was if anyone shows up at 4 they will be the only ones here we will be gone by 4  at 3:10  tom caught a boardable fish he went up to tag it in they told him he was 2 ounces under the top fish he said he asked to see the scale and they handed him back his fish he asked what 2nd place prize was and they told him first place got firs pick of the prices  and he could pick something he wanted next  a very poor run derby in my eyes

now my point is   this was very poor sportsman's  to be teaching the kid every kid that was there  and caught fish before 12: 00  should have been given the chance to tag in their fish   
in god we trust

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: derby rip off
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:35 AM »
this is why i stay away from derbys, sorry to hear that the kids lost out.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:45 AM »
What was that, the "Fiasco" derby?!?! Sounds like names should be taken of the hosts and judges and anyone involved should never be allowed to host another derby ever again.

Sounds like it was put on and pilfered by former residents of MSP!
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:51 AM »
That's a sad story Grandpa,Sorry for the young ones disappointment. I too avoid derby's because of this kind of stuff. If it's not the Officials it's a few participant's that are taking things too far in the whole "competition".

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Post the name of the derby and it's sponser or its location and we can look it up  maybe start a post on bad derbys so everyone can stay away
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:17 AM »
yeah thats terrible, if you want kids to continue fishing don't be pulling that crap

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Sorry to here that story...Some people just dont have a clue...Poorly run derby is right..  >:(

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Where was this derby?  ::) ::)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Silver~Ghost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Yup..never bothered with derbies either..to much  shady crap happens..like drawing for prizes..n if ur not close by the draw,,they jus pick nother ticket..

Offline gearjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:26 PM »
sorry to hear about your experience, unfortunately the kids wont forget this day for a long while.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about this Grampa, obviously they don't understand the disappointment this puts on a child, that they will never forget. These guys didn't have a clue, I would make a complaint with DIFW and keep them in the loop.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:33 AM »
some of the people that put this derby on are members of this site would like for them to come on  and give there side of what went down in all fairness to them  thanks
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:37 AM »
this derby isn't any of the ones we normally see posted on here
in god we trust

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Sorry to hear all of this... I've got a rather good guess as the what event this was and beleive I'm a former member (haven't paid my 2010 dues yet but probably will) of the club that put on this event.  Bums me out to hear things didn't go smoothly, and bothers me even more I wasn't aware that the event was even taking place until a friend showed me some pictures on Facebook last night and asked me why I wasn't there.  Past years I'd heard about it at meetings or saw a local ad or whatever, but this year I had no idea.  If they needed more help etc, I would have skipped the Little O Derby weekend just to be there to help for the kids event.  :-\   Sounds like they had great intentions as they usually do, but poor execution of that vision...

Any nice browns wrestled up??

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:06 PM »
I hope it wasnt one of the brothers     
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I think the kids and Granpa had a nice day fishing and spent quality time together.  Even caught some nice fish. everybody won.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I think the kids and Granpa had a nice day fishing and spent quality time together.  Even caught some nice fish. everybody won.
for the most part jimmy i will agree the kids went through 4 dozen shiners and chased flags for the whole day and caught  a lot of fish  on 5 traps and 2 jigg rods   but as far as the kids all the kids not just my grand kids that didnt get a chance to weigh in ther fish was un fair and those kids got cheated  :(
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Sorry to hear all of this... I've got a rather good guess as the what event this was and beleive I'm a former member (haven't paid my 2010 dues yet but probably will) of the club that put on this event.  Bums me out to hear things didn't go smoothly, and bothers me even more I wasn't aware that the event was even taking place until a friend showed me some pictures on Facebook last night and asked me why I wasn't there.  Past years I'd heard about it at meetings or saw a local ad or whatever, but this year I had no idea.  If they needed more help etc, I would have skipped the Little O Derby weekend just to be there to help for the kids event.  :-\   Sounds like they had great intentions as they usually do, but poor execution of that vision...

Any nice browns wrestled up??
when i took the kids in the first time there were none there they did allow the fish to be released after they were weighted in so i am not sure
in god we trust

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:15 PM »
for the most part jimmy i will agree the kids went through 4 dozen shiners and chased flags for the whole day and caught  a lot of fish  on 5 traps and 2 jigg rods   but as far as the kids all the kids not just my grand kids that didnt get a chance to weigh in ther fish was un fair and those kids got cheated  :(
Being impartial... what ever was in writing on the entry form would be fair for everyone.  Sounds like you got some bad info at weigh in time but, for the kids on the board at the eleven deadline,  it would have not been fair to them.  If you had not checked in at 10:45 you would have thought it was over.
 It sounds like you and I are related.  We always seem to catch a winner after the cut off time.  ;)  :-\
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline stanollie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Where was this?
What a long, strange trip it's been!

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Being impartial... what ever was in writing on the entry form would be fair for everyone.  Sounds like you got some bad info at weigh in time but, for the kids on the board at the eleven deadline,  it would have not been fair to them.  If you had not checked in at 10:45 you would have thought it was over.
 It sounds like you and I are related.  We always seem to catch a winner after the cut off time.  ;)  :-\
once again i agree to a point  but point being there were 2 check in times  12;00 noon  and awards would be given shortly after noon and 1100 that's why i had the kids there by 10:45 if the derby had ended then all fair and good  how ever what took place  went like this the 3 judges or what ever you want to call them told us the weigh in ended at 1200 OK fine so i took the kids back out to fish along with several groups thinking the derby would run until noon anyone i saw picking up traps i st oped and told them they could fish till noon so anyone thinking the derby ran till noon never got to regester their fish ( for the rest of the story read my first post) in all fairness the derby organisers should have had a sign up stating that there had been a miss print and the derby would end at such and such a time  iam not being partial i think my grand daughters fish would have taken first place at the time  but had the other kids had a chance to weigh in there fish my grand daughters fish might not have even come close to making the board
in god we trust

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Maka,
 I'm not sure if it was the same one your thinking of.
I've never heard of them doing a adult derby after the kids...
 And....for grandpa and kids chasing flags all day and going through 4dz shiners doesn't sound like the same.
Sorry to hear that this fly by night derby did't go well for you hardwatergrandpa.

Offline DeerTick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Will you please tell us the name of the derby?

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Maka,
 I'm not sure if it was the same one your thinking of.
I've never heard of them doing a adult derby after the kids...
 And....for grandpa and kids chasing flags all day and going through 4dz shiners doesn't sound like the same.
Sorry to hear that this fly by night derby did't go well for you hardwatergrandpa.

you're 100% correct cdc, hardwatergramps filled me in... still bummed I missed the other one, but glad it wasn't the club over there that screwed up ;).

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Will you please tell us the name of the derby?

iam waiting to see if they respond to my pms to them  if they dont then i will post the name of the derby
in god we trust

Offline dirt guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • early bird gets the worm
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:23 PM »
iam waiting to see if they respond to my pms to them  if they dont then i will post the name of the derby

just say the derby! sounds like your the one miss informed and dont want to admit being wrong gramps.

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:16 PM »
just say the derby! sounds like your the one miss informed and dont want to admit being wrong gramps.

the guy just needed to vent and is trying to do the right thing... what's your issue here??  If you can't take the suspense of letting him work it out on his own, don't read the thread...

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:00 PM »
well dirt guy were you one of the judges if so why so many changes with the weigh in times  miss informed yes that's a true statement one paper says 4-11 and the other 4-1200  i showed up to be weighted in for the 11 weigh in and  iam told by the judges that the derby runs until 12. 15-20 minutes later the kids go in again to regester a fish and there told the derby ended at 11 by the same 3 guys that  sent them back out fishing  miss informed i should say sooooo
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Sounds personnel for you, registered just to make that comment, sober up. :o
thats funny rude i was thinking the same thing
in god we trust

Offline dirt guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • early bird gets the worm
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:24 PM »
well dirt guy were you one of the judges if so why so many changes with the weigh in times  miss informed yes that's a true statement one paper says 4-11 and the other 4-1200  i showed up to be weighted in for the 11 weigh in and  iam told by the judges that the derby runs until 12. 15-20 minutes later the kids go in again to regester a fish and there told the derby ended at 11 by the same 3 guys that  sent them back out fishing  miss informed i should say sooooo
nope i werent a judge. i dont fish derbys. i still think you were in the wrong with the times, but, thats just me. nothin personal pal. happy fishin though! thats what its really about, the experience. not the amount of fish, how much money we make from catching, but family time, quality family time. seems lately people have lost touch with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.