New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: A fish took my pole on sandypond today!!!  (Read 3651 times)

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
A fish took my pole on sandypond today!!!
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I was fishing out towards the island. I had a big big fish on,my hook came out. I fished a little while longer and decided to drill another hole. I packed snow around my rod holder and reeled my line up about five feet off bottom. I do this in hopes to hook a lurking crappie. I started drilling and I herd a crash. I ran to my tent and my pole was gone. What ever it was it ripped my rod holder out of hard packed snow. So I guess what Im saying be on the look out for a big fish dragging my pole around. Im sure it broke the line by now.

Offline stas213

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A fish took my pole on sandypond today!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:26 AM »
I'll bet it was the same sob that took my pole when I was a kid. My Dad wasn't too happy. He had to give up his second pole so I could still fish.

Offline rikrad1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing RULZ!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:17 AM »
That happened to me on Sturgeon point a few years ago and it was my st croix ice rod n reel

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I had a jigging rod go threw the ice while I stood 60 feet away at another hole watching a friend fight a nice sized Northern...As his fish was running and tearing off line it must have gotten into my line...After a few more minutes of fighting his fish he lands it and we eventually drop her back down the hole at which time I notice a small minnow hook lying on the ice next to the hole...I pick it up to find that it is still attatched to line that goes back into the hole and attatched to my small jigging rod....the rod travelled 60 feet under the ice and back on top...

I wonder where I left that rod???
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:15 AM »
that ill ruin a trip real quick

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:48 AM »
   I think this happens often, last year fishing Oneida we had 10 tip downs out and lost 2 poles in a couple of
hours..Could have been smallies, bourbits, or an eye? Never found out. Grabbed the camera quick put in down the hole and all you could see was the pole being dragged and the cloud behind it...All we could do was laugh!! But learned a lesson...Have the rod connected to the base of the tip-down with some string of some sort and pack the base.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Im glad im not the only one

Offline crawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2010, 02:55 PM »
you should feel lucky i didnt catch anything big enough to pull my pole in today,i guess ill try again tommorow

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2010, 03:31 PM »
you should feel lucky i didnt catch anything big enough to pull my pole in today,i guess ill try again tommorow
I hammerd them today 50 over nine inches before 11:00am

Offline crawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I hammerd them today 50 over nine inches before 11:00am
i was in dinks all day dads wheeler wouldn start so i didnt fish where i wanted too ,had too much gear traveling lighter tommorow

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Lost a lot of rods that way.  Nowadays I leave the drag set good and loose if I leave it sitting, and I don't ever use a rod holder.  Haven't lost a rod in a long time, knock on wood.
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:11 PM »
i was in dinks all day dads wheeler wouldn start so i didnt fish where i wanted too ,had too much gear traveling lighter tommorow
We all have those days.

Offline jigger-team hamlin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »
We all have those days.

dinks for me also >:(

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:45 PM »
dinks for me also >:(
I think the key is you have to move alot.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Welcome to the Pole In The Hole Club! :o
Been there done that.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Welcome to the Pole In The Hole Club! :o
Been there done that.
thats funny

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:36 PM »
lost my favorite pike pole last year.  I rig them like a tipup, and just keep the drag really loose, with a mini baitcaster that makes lots of noise when line is taken.  I was 20-30 yards off playing around with a perch that kept menacing a pike minnow on a tipup, and I heard the drag.  looked up only to see a splash.  the line must have either frozen or tangled on the spool.  either way, it served me well for a few years.  it will be missed.

has anyone ever pulled up a rod or reel through the ice?  there must be a bunch of them in Sandy Pond alone.  you'd think with a good amount of line hanging off them, somebody would snag one occasionally.

I was thinking about how many cell phones are down there too.  I know of a few.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:52 PM »
lost my favorite pike pole last year.  I rig them like a tipup, and just keep the drag really loose, with a mini baitcaster that makes lots of noise when line is taken.  I was 20-30 yards off playing around with a perch that kept menacing a pike minnow on a tipup, and I heard the drag.  looked up only to see a splash.  the line must have either frozen or tangled on the spool.  either way, it served me well for a few years.  it will be missed.

has anyone ever pulled up a rod or reel through the ice?  there must be a bunch of them in Sandy Pond alone.  you'd think with a good amount of line hanging off them, somebody would snag one occasionally.

I was thinking about how many cell phones are down there too.  I know of a few.
Thats funny you say that my brother and i were fishing greens point last year and the dummy leaned over and his phone went splash. I tried like crazy trying to hook my pole. I started drilling holes to catch my line

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:48 PM »
never lost my pole but have had at least 20 tip downs taken on sodus lol darn perch are quick

Offline Tinbus33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:24 AM »
While helping my son fish last weekend on sandy pond a fish took my pole don the hole. two hours later while fishing the same hole i pulled the pull back up it still had a 8 and a half inch perch on the line. Cant believe that perch pulled the pole down. Glad i got the pole back now that's luck. Had a great time fishing with my son though his fist time out this year and only his second time ice fishing. He out fished me all day.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:31 AM »
While helping my son fish last weekend on sandy pond a fish took my pole don the hole. two hours later while fishing the same hole i pulled the pull back up it still had a 8 and a half inch perch on the line. Cant believe that perch pulled the pole down. Glad i got the pole back now that's luck. Had a great time fishing with my son though his fist time out this year and only his second time ice fishing. He out fished me all day.
That had to be very rewarding pulling your pole back up. That would have made my day right there.

Offline Tinbus33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:33 AM »
It was my son got a kick out of it. Hes still telling people about it.

Offline mackdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:46 AM »
we have a fish TV and were fishing sandy pond when we watched a nice pike swim up open wide and pulled the tv of the bucket. funny thing is it happend three times that day

Offline kenbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:55 AM »
I'm new to ice fishing this season, so thus far, I haven't lost anything down the hole.  But I'm sure that after I get the same amount of time that you guys have had on the ice, my turn is coming.  Great excuse to buy a new rod. 
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I'm new to ice fishing this season, so thus far, I haven't lost anything down the hole.  But I'm sure that after I get the same amount of time that you guys have had on the ice, my turn is coming.  Great excuse to buy a new rod. 
when i lost mine i bought two more just in case!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.