Author Topic: Best spark plug????  (Read 24599 times)

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
Best spark plug????
« on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:25 PM »
What do you guys think the best spark plug would be for a 10 year old Jiffy 30?
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: Best spark plug????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:42 PM »
not to be a smartbutt, but what ever it came with originally...I tried NGK's with my Jiffy Model 31, but went back to the original Autolite it came with

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Champion RJ17LM or J17LM. The J17 type plugs are suspose to be more resistant to fouling then the J8 plugs that Tecumseh used to use in their engines 25 years ago.

J19LM is a hotter plug then the 17= so if your fouling plugs this may help= But in reality it is your carb. that is out of tune.

The R (1st. letter) in plug model is only to tell you that it has a resistor installed for radio interference.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:44 PM »
I put an E4 plug in my jiffy and it seems to start easier... might be in my head
l

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I just went and looked in my Champion spark plug book from 1990 when i was doing small engine repair back then and for a Tecumseh 3Hp AV520 they recommend the J19LM plug.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Champion

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Champion RJ17LM or J17LM. The J17 type plugs are suspose to be more resistant to fouling then the J8 plugs that Tecumseh used to use in their engines 25 years ago.

J19LM is a hotter plug then the 17= so if your fouling plugs this may help= But in reality it is your carb. that is out of tune.

The R (1st. letter) in plug model is only to tell you that it has a resistor installed for radio interference.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

My plug isnt really that bad its just I have never changed it since I have own it and I thought I should

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I just went and looked in my Champion spark plug book from 1990 when i was doing small engine repair back then and for a Tecumseh 3Hp AV520 they recommend the J19LM plug.

So one guy says RJ17 and you are saying J19, now whats the difference beside the part number?

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I just went and looked I have a Champion RJ-17LM plug in mine.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Jiffy now recommends a Champion RJ17LM, like Wild Turk said. Do NOT go up a step hotter...if you're fouling plugs,  (Didn't see that in post?) you may need to lean out the carb mixture... and make sure you have the proper mix ratio. I believe yours is 40:1. As always, run the best oil and gas you can find.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Now in the book which was from 1990 it said J19LM. Shoot the pic i should have included the Gap= .030....

I run a J17LM in my Jiffy model 30.

The difference between plugs are=
The R is a resistor style plug=only for radio interference which they want you to run in Canada. In the USA i use a NON-Resistor plug.

The J17LM plug runs Colder then a J19LM plug. that is the difference. A spark plug is designed to remove heat from the engine like.

Run J17LM as a start= If it fouls then maybe a 19. If it still fould then adjust the carb.

I was only pointing out the difference's in the spark plug heat range and resistor type plug.

I didn't know if he was fouling plugs or not so i pointed out the J19LM plug as maybe an alternative.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Now in the book which was from 1990 it said J19LM. Shoot the pic i should have included the Gap= .030....
(Image removed from quote.)

I run a J17LM in my Jiffy model 30.

The difference between plugs are=
The R is a resistor style plug=only for radio interference which they want you to run in Canada. In the USA i use a NON-Resistor plug.

The J17LM plug runs Colder then a J19LM plug. that is the difference. A spark plug is designed to remove heat from the engine like.

Run J17LM as a start= If it fouls then maybe a 19. If it still fould then adjust the carb.

I was only pointing out the difference's in the spark plug heat range and resistor type plug.

I didn't know if he was fouling plugs or not so i pointed out the J19LM plug as maybe an alternative.

You made a good post, Turk. Sounds like maybe it's time for a tune-up..? Ten years... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Here are some cross reference # to different plugs that match up with the heat range of the J17LM Champion plug if you want to go with a different plug manufacture.

AC= LM 46
NGK= B4LM
Fram/Autolite= 456

Hope this helps.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:53 PM »
IMO anything BUT Champions, NGK's go in all my 2 strokes when I replace the original. I fouled a plug on the sled Saturday, it had NGK's in the heads but Champions in the box. Tried all 3 and sled still wouldnt run and they were all brand new plugs. Got home checked spark ect and put 3 new NGK's in and runs like a champ again.  Not the first time this has happend to me with brand new Champions.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:15 PM »
IMO anything BUT Champions, NGK's go in all my 2 strokes when I replace the original. I fouled a plug on the sled Saturday, it had NGK's in the heads but Champions in the box. Tried all 3 and sled still wouldnt run and they were all brand new plugs. Got home checked spark ect and put 3 new NGK's in and runs like a champ again.  Not the first time this has happend to me with brand new Champions.

NGK, like he ↑ said.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I would only put a champion in cats hind end to jump start it!
NGK all the way.
 To many times I had brand new champions foul out, to go get an old nasty NGK out and get it to start right up.
The biggest you know what me off with champions is they will spark when taken out of the engine but will not when in it and under compression.

I even proved this to my son. He installed a champion in the john deere rider, because his boss who is a mechanic says they are the best.
The second time he went to use it, it wouldn't start, told him it was the champion plug. He said that it can't be, its brand new and he checked. It had good spark.
 I then went out pulled the plug turned it over yes it had good spark, reinstalled and It wouldn't start. Went over to my tool box pulled out an NGK that looked black as could be, Put it in the motor and started right up.

I then took the champion, handed it to him and said "Where's a cat that needs a jump start"

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:54 AM »
Ha, ha, just read the manual. ::)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:23 AM »
NGK Iridium is the best, Champions suck I have owned 2 cycles engines for over 40 years.
I'm not sure if they make an iradium for it, the standard NGK replacment is a B4LM

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Last night i went down in the basement and looked at my Jiffy. I sold my old model 30 (2) years ago to the Plant Manager for $150 as i bought this new barely used jiffy at an auction for $95/ Previous owner might cut 10 holes with it? Anyways it's a Model 31 and the plug is a J17LM. Last night i seen this video on youtube for what is called an ice hogger= Neat idea.

I went to their website and seen that they are 30% off so i ordered one for $65 + $10 for shipping. I like the chips away from my hole.

I guess everyone has had their experience's with bad plugs in there day. I've used them all and seen them all when i was doing small engine repair for a handfull of years and all the brands about equal out in blunders/But from a UnBias view it is mainly the tuning of the engine rather then the plugs main fault. I've had NGK out of the package that didn't work as well as Champion. Things happen.

One of the weirdest things was back when i was into helping in the pits with Hooper Racing in the Oval snowmobile racing circut. An NGK plug cost them several thousand $$$$ in the Champ 440??/ Might have been the FIII Race in Valcourt, QE  when Keith Young was 1/2 a lap out in front.The whole center porecelin+electrode Tip fell down in the plug. Yes metal casing was intact but the center you could just lift up and down and the plugs electrode would hit the wire. Talk about freak happening but **censored** happens. Move the porecelin just like a piston in an engine.

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I would pay good money to see a cat with a spark plug getting jump started!!!!   :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.