The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Help with icefishing in the west forks area  (Read 1249 times)

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help with icefishing in the west forks area
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Hey I am heading up to the west forks area and am looking to do a little fishing while I'm there.. not looking to steal anyones spots or anything like that. what lakes or ponds in that area are good for icefishing? dosen't really matter what species we catch as long as the flags fly! thanks.... :tipup:

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Help with icefishing in the west forks area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Just a hop skip and a jump up to Jackman from there.  Big Wood Pond right in town would probably be a good bet and I think you can even rent a shack out there for the day if you want.

Offline Iced in Brookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I agree! Big Wood in Jackman would be your best bet... Or you could drive a little south to Wyman, not sure how the action has been though

Offline mammathoner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:39 AM »
If I was you I'd definately check out Pleasant Pond in Caratunk. They've been catching some nice lakers there the past two years and its only a few minutes down the road.
"Time spent wasted is not wasted time" - Keith Richards

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Thanks guys.. anyone else?? big wood pond what does it hold for fish?... :tipup:

Offline nativetrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best time of the year!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Salmon, splake and brookies.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:39 AM »
My vote goes to pleasant,excellent togue fishing.

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:52 AM »
i'd say try lake moxie, but its closed for ice fishing. they also drain it a bit in the winter

Offline quackhead686

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Don't waste your time on pleasant.  It is full of tiny togue now.  Too many big togue have been killed there the last 2 yrs, nom its giving the small ones a chance to live.  For every 3-4 lb togue you get there now you will get 25 that are 4" to 12".  It was never like that the first two years exactly the opposite, now that fishery is trashed.  Why they ever wanted to turn it back into a brookie lake is beyond me.  It wont ever be a good brookie lake again because the togue have taken over.  Now hopefully in a few years we will start to get bigger togue again.  We have even got togue there this year that still had parr marks on them.  Those small togue used to be food for the bigger guys but know there isn't many big guys left to eat them because of in my opinion all the stringers full of nice togue that were kept the last two years. 

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:46 PM »
not many people keep a full stringer of togue.  my vote goes to pleasant.  just check out JP's 20lbs togue he got there two years ago.  its a NLFAB pond but dead smelts work great.  don't let someone tell you there are only small ones in there.  there are plenty of big ones and tons of flag chasing to be had.  have fun and post picks

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Don't waste your time on pleasant.  It is full of tiny togue now.  Too many big togue have been killed there the last 2 yrs, nom its giving the small ones a chance to live.  For every 3-4 lb togue you get there now you will get 25 that are 4" to 12".  It was never like that the first two years exactly the opposite, now that fishery is trashed.  Why they ever wanted to turn it back into a brookie lake is beyond me.  It wont ever be a good brookie lake again because the togue have taken over.  Now hopefully in a few years we will start to get bigger togue again.  We have even got togue there this year that still had parr marks on them.  Those small togue used to be food for the bigger guys but know there isn't many big guys left to eat them because of in my opinion all the stringers full of nice togue that were kept the last two years.  
Seen 5 togue over 10 lbs taken out of Pleasant in the last three weeks. They weighed in a 13 plus lber down at Solon Bait,Bolts and Bullets the other day. My vote for a decent game fish in the area would be Pleasant Pond. Big Cusk- Big Wood would have my vote. Lots of splake would be Big Wood or Wyman. Have fun, lots of great scenery up that way.  8)

Offline rowell6369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:06 PM »
where we fish on Wyman is now a hassle due to slush under the ice so we're heading to Pleasant Pd. Access can be tricky due to all the private property.
Q: What do ice fishermen and hypochondriacs have in common?
A: They don't really have to catch anything to be happy.

Offline Tomcatt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:21 PM »
where we fish on Wyman is now a hassle due to slush under the ice so we're heading to Pleasant Pd. Access can be tricky due to all the private property.

I was fishing wyman lake 2 days ago in a cove no slush there caught 5 trout

Offline rowell6369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:52 PM »
yeah, I usually fish up higher in the river and it happens every year. It comes right down the river and goes under the ice. The rest of the lake is fine but, you already know that.
Q: What do ice fishermen and hypochondriacs have in common?
A: They don't really have to catch anything to be happy.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Thanks guy's I appreciate the help... :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.