Author Topic: Northern Colorado Ice Fishing (20 mile Radius from Fort Collins)  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Capt. Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Guys,

I am just getting set up on here again.  I was on here last year and haven't been able to sign in until now.  I had to come up with a new name so, Hello I'm Capt. Hook!

I have been looking on here and haven't seen much on here for lakes that are within say 20 miles of Fort Collins.  I only see Elevenmile, Antero, John and lakes that are impractical for me to fish seeing that I get horrible gas mileage.  So I think we should start up a post pertaining to lakes like:

Wellington #4
Smith
Douglass Reservior
Lonetree (The Tree)
Lon Hagler
Lake Loveland
Boyd

If there are any lakes that I am missing or maybe don't know about please respond.  If you have any ideas on how to set this up I would greatly appreciate that.  Maybe have each lake as it's own topic?  I don't know what would be best. 

As far as the info that I think is good to share maybe something like this: 

Douglass Reservoir on 2-4-2010
Fished for 5 hours, found fish to be most active between 12:30pm and 3:00pm.  Very windy that day, fishing with out the shack, (couldn't set it up in the wind)  Fish (trout) came in on the Vexilar from 6" off the bottom up to 24" off of the bottom.  Caught the most fish in 13' of water.  Fished with rods laying on the ice, when they were bouncing around in the rod holders (wind) they wouldn't even look at it.  Hooked minnows in the back seemed to out fish minnows rigged in the mouth 4:1.  Was on the west side, second spot to park before the boat ramp.

Lets get something going on, I understand that not everyone wants to give up there honey holes but sharing info will only make us all more successful and we can learn stuff along the way.

Thanks everyone for reading this.  Good Luck!

Capt. Hook

When the Vex shows Red the fish are DEAD!

Fish are gonna die today, and I'm gonna kill em!

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
 :icefish: Ahoy Capt'n !

Yes, N. CO gets ignored a lot in here!  I don't know how much help I can be re: the Front Range Lakes.  Most years they are so
iffy re: ice thickness and safety that I stay up in the high country.  This year is different with the long freeze we've had.

Did a short day at Wellington #4 a couple of months ago, but that's about it down on the plains.

It's just beyond your 20 mile limit, but have you tried Red Feather Lakes?  Pretty fair and consistent fishing there.  West Lake and Dowdy Lake.

Good luck and watch out for ticking gators! 
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
Ok -- great to see someone else trying to find some of these lakes and the activity.  I am an avid hunter and Ice fisher.  I come from N. Dak. and really like to persue the crappies, eyes, and perch. 

I have spent many hours and with the help of the little man (5yrs old)...but a trooper.  He will hang with me up to 5hrs on the ice.

I live in Loveland and have fished these lakes multiple times this year:

Most recent:  Last week hit Lone Tree (one bite).

Boyd:  7 Different times or so and even a couple evenings til 8 or so looking for the crappie or walleye bit.  I have been very disappointed but did catch a couple trout.

Loveland:  6 or 7 times with only a couple small perch.

Boedecker:  Twice -- one bite.

Seaman Res:  Looking for the jumbo perch (none).  3 trout pushing 19".

I think I am heading to the Missouri river on the N.Dak/S. Dak boarder early March for few days.

That's all I got to report for now....oh -- shot some Geese today!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Interesting about Seaman.  I have not fished it since the draining two summers ago.  Any small perch starting up?  I suppose the trout come down from the N. Fork.  Nice job on those.  Rainbows or browns? The ice makes the most scariest noises on that lake.

I have been fishing Douglas for perch and trout.  It has been hit or miss but have caught fish consistently.

s

Offline Diesel984

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm in on This! Im out of Greeley, Work For State Just West of the Springs as a Deputy Sheriff...
[email protected] is the Email, I'm Always game to Hit the Ice! As long as Im NOT working LOL
Nate

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
No small perch on Seaman.  The trout were bows and one brown.

Looking to hit the ice again this Sat and Sunday but don't really know where to spend the time.  We will see what the kid wants to do.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished Douglas today noon til 5:30.  Once 10" perch and one a nice 18" Rainbow.  Eastern side just north of the outhouse in 17 FOW.

Offline Capt. Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
That's awesome Ice Buster!  I am headed out to Douglass tomorrow.  I have a Red Chevy Truck and my little dog will be with me.  I will probably try the west side.  If you are out there look me up. 
When the Vex shows Red the fish are DEAD!

Fish are gonna die today, and I'm gonna kill em!

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
I didn't hit Douglas today.  Instead I went to Lake Loveland.  11:30 to 4:00 .... one bite.  Saw a few on the vexilar but no takers.

Offline Diesel984

• IceShanty Rookie
Hook - You Passed RIGHT by me when you were out that weekend...I was parked in the Boat Ramp (Black Dodge Ram With a Stack in the Box) Fishing with another guy about 15' off the dock...We didnt catch CRAP that day except for a small Crappie and a Pumpkinseed...Went out there LAST saturday and were nailing the trout most of the day, I Ended up with a 20" on the East Side of the lake @ the First parking area in 10 FOW...

Douglas is nice, But I'm heading out to Hagler this weekend (if I can swing it, and my Auger is Working...) If not, I'll probably hit Douglas again...But I Dont like fishing just one lake..I like the Variety!
Nate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.