The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: pic of those muskies from Austin Lake  (Read 15238 times)

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
pic of those muskies from Austin Lake
« on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:46 PM »

Offline timetwofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pic of those muskies from Austin Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:52 PM »
HOLLY S**T

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Those are some really nice muskies. Id for sure try spearing if you can see that in the hole. Good luck

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:34 PM »
. . . . wow . . . .   :woot:

Offline GoblinA2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Are those real?!

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:54 PM »
dang man those things are monsters congrats

Offline woodstock1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Great looking fish,their bigger than me!!!lol  :o :o

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:27 PM »
what is the measurement and weight on the biggest one,  nice catch
usmc 1989-1993

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:13 PM »
what is the measurement and weight on the biggest one,  nice catch
I'm not sure.  This picture was sent to my phone from a friend of mine that is good friends with the guy on the left with the biggest one. I think it might be 55 inches.  If it's that big, it's got to be pushing the state record.  Apparently, he says that he is going to go there every weekend until he breaks the state record.

Offline ryan-b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:22 PM »
they look photshopped. specially the one one left.

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:41 PM »
That's the way to do it with the old push hooks!!!! ;D :roflmao: :woot:
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Holy crap! those are some nice toothy freaks of nature.....that one spear looks like they threw a Jewish menorah at them. LOL  
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:41 PM »
is austin lake in michigan?? 
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:46 PM »
is austin lake in michigan?? 
Yeah it's by K-ZOO ... I Googled it after seeing these pics...As did many more people I'm sure...That lake might be a "ZOO" by this weekend...Its big though, 2.3 Miles from shore to shore at one point.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Yeah it's by K-ZOO ... I Googled it after seeing these pics...As did many more people I'm sure...That lake might be a "ZOO" by this weekend...Its big though, 2.3 Miles from shore to shore at one point.
You could be right.  The only problem is that, from what i heard from some guys on a different thread, is that not many guys have had much luck with tip ups on that lake.  I don't have the gear for spearing.  I gotta believe that if you get enough guys and pepper an area with flags, at least one has to pop.  Could you imagine seeing your flag flying on that lake after looking at that picture?

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:06 PM »
 It's hard to imagine those fish can get that big in a lake that averages 5' deep and deepest point is 11'...must be a lot of easy prey... Neat look'n lake from  the satellite. 

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Yep not deep at all and very clear water and not very weedy from were I fished. Would be a great spearing lake if I had the set up for spearing. Next year im planning on getting set up for spearing, it looks like a blast.

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:46 PM »
to bad they taste like crap

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:46 AM »
those are some monster fish and those spears are huge i have never seen spears that big that one looks 20" :o
FISH ON

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:21 AM »
It's hard to imagine those fish can get that big in a lake that averages 5' deep and deepest point is 11'...must be a lot of easy prey... Neat look'n lake from  the satellite. 
I was lucky enough last year to fish a bass tounament in Upjohn Pond which connects to Austin via channel. It is all 2' deep with a couple of 3' "spots". A lot of bass were caught and they averaged around 2-3#,biggest being 3.88#. One guy caught a nice pike,don't remember exact size and another caught a bluegill on a beetle spin that was over a pound.It is a company owned,private pond that hadn't been fished in many years so that probably plays a big part in how big the fish are.Plus I always thought that pike/muskies will go to and live in deeper waters but spend most their time in the shallows which may be why Austin is a decent producer. Talked to a few guys I work with that have fished it for many years, and all say there are good ones in there, they are far and few like the pics.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:28 AM »
OK I'm calling B/S............I looked up Austin Lake and found that 2,750 Muskie where planted from 2000 to 2002 and they where around 12" in length and it looks like one of those Muskies in that pic is over 50" for sure and that means that it would have had to grow 40"+ in 10 years and I'm not completely sure but I don't think that is possible because I know that Muskie grow slow.

If I'm wrong than that's fine but I just have problem's believing that fish that big are thriving in a lake that shallow at a 11ft max depth :-\ . No matter where they came from they are still huge fish and a great pic  :thumbsup:

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:57 AM »
OK I'm calling B/S............I looked up Austin Lake and found that 2,750 Muskie where planted from 2000 to 2002 and they where around 12" in length and it looks like one of those Muskies in that pic is over 50" for sure and that means that it would have had to grow 40"+ in 10 years and I'm not completely sure but I don't think that is possible because I know that Muskie grow slow.

If I'm wrong than that's fine but I just have problem's believing that fish that big are thriving in a lake that shallow at a 11ft max depth :-\ . No matter where they came from they are still huge fish and a great pic  :thumbsup:

Muskies around here don't grow that slow. We can make a 48 incher in about 8 years due to the warmer climate. Remember, we're on the southern edge of the muskies range. At least that's what Jed Pearson of the IN DNR says. They grow fast and die young down here. I've fished Austin in the summer quite a few times and caught quite a few from there, but never any that big. I won't call anyone a liar because it's hard to tell exact length from a picture but that looks like a 48 incher to me. Likely one of the biggest fish in the lake. Austin doesn't have what it takes to produce a 50 pounder by any means so I don't see the state record being broken any time soon. Especially not from there. Just my opinion. HUGE fish though for these parts!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:59 AM »
i dont care where they came from that is 1 good spearing day.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Muskies around here don't grow that slow. We can make a 48 incher in about 8 years due to the warmer climate. Remember, we're on the southern edge of the muskies range. At least that's what Jed Pearson of the IN DNR says. They grow fast and die young down here. I've fished Austin in the summer quite a few times and caught quite a few from there, but never any that big. I won't call anyone a liar because it's hard to tell exact length from a picture but that looks like a 48 incher to me. Likely one of the biggest fish in the lake. Austin doesn't have what it takes to produce a 50 pounder by any means so I don't see the state record being broken any time soon. Especially not from there. Just my opinion. HUGE fish though for these parts!

Yes me calling it BS is bold but it just seems fishy to me and I'm no expert so I could be wrong but I still think that one is over 50". To each his own and I hope "jigemin" doesn't take it the wrong way cause I'm not saying he is lying but maybe some one doesn't want the real lake posted and I would not blame them one bit cause what ever lake those came out of is going to get even more popular  :-\

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I'm with Higgins.  That picture is photoshopped.  Look at the muskie in the back and on the right side of the picture, there is a very small white border of the muskie where they were cut out of another picture and put in this one.  At least that's what I think. 

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I'm calling BS because I don't see any spear holes in the fish.  With the spears pictured, you could not miss those holes. 

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Gambell,  I was thinking the same thing.  I saved the picture on my cpu and opened it up in windows picture and fax viewer and zoomed in.  And no spear holes that I could see.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:45 AM »
That is exactly how I figured it out.  I was looking for photoshop defects and noticed that.

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Yes me calling it BS is bold but it just seems fishy to me and I'm no expert so I could be wrong but I still think that one is over 50". To each his own and I hope "jigemin" doesn't take it the wrong way cause I'm not saying he is lying but maybe some one doesn't want the real lake posted and I would not blame them one bit cause what ever lake those came out of is going to get even more popular  :-\
Hey guys, remember, those are not my fish.  This picture was sent to me by a really good friend of mine and when i got it i thought it was just a crazy picture going around the internet that he wanted me to see.  But he then told me that it was a friend of his that speared those in Austin Lake and i was like WHOA!, wait a minute, that's not too far away.  So i did some research on the lake because i wanted to try my luck with some flags.  I started a thread about the lake and everyone said that they hadn't had much luck with tip ups out there. 
I posted the picture just to prove i wasn't crazy.  I highly doubt that it is photo shopped, but it could be, i am no expert.  My buddy has a few other photos of these fish on his phone and i will try to post them.  The guy on the left, all he does is spear all winter long for the last however many years.
Maybe they are from a different lake and he is trying to protect his spot.  Does anyone recognize anything in the background that relates to Austin Lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.