The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Auger  (Read 2502 times)

Offline allagashtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
New Auger
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Need recommendations on purchasing a new gas auger.  I have been a loyal Jiffy customer all my adult life, but have become increasing frustrated with their engine performance.  I currently have three Jiffy Model 31s (one 8" and two 10") that have been professionally serviced and well cared for, but on any given day only one of them to will run well intermittently.  Any feedback on other brands/models would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!  :icefish:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: New Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:54 PM »
well ya sound like ya got the stinky gas run when they want augers covered...maybe take a look at an Icegator   ;)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Need recommendations on purchasing a new gas auger.  I have been a loyal Jiffy customer all my adult life, but have become increasing frustrated with their engine performance.  I currently have three Jiffy Model 31s (one 8" and two 10") that have been professionally serviced and well cared for, but on any given day only one of them to will run well intermittently.  Any feedback on other brands/models would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!  :icefish:

if the 8 works for you, look at the 8 inch nils handauger but make sure its the one that can be upgraded to power. thru 15to16 inches of ice it takes about 25 seconds a hole without working at it.
rotation is backwards from the jiffey so be aware of that. my two jiffys stayed home last weekend

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:01 PM »
get an Eskimo Z71, my friend just got a 10in for around $340 SHIPPED because he liked mine so much, they RIIIIIP and start no mater how cold it is usually the 1st pull, sometimes on the 3ed on mine i did have an isue where I needed customer service, they are EXCELLENT !!! great people great product great price great performance no brainier 

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline Koda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I also have the eskimo.  It is quieter that a jiffy and cuts a lot faster.  Awesome machine.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:40 PM »
There's your problem allagashtrapper, you should have gotten at least one Model 76!!!
Gators are good, pricey and heavy.  Find yourself a good used Model 76.  Tanaka's are
nice, lightweight, pricey, and not as easy starting as Jiffy's (well maybe that's because
mine is still not fully broken in yet).  With a Gator you'll need to supply a auger bit.
If you get a Model 76, then you can re-use your 8" bit.  10" is a bit much for the 2hp Jiffy.
A Nils bit will work on both Gators and Tanaka's.  You can order a Tanaka power head w/ or
w/o a bit.  Just some options.  My White Lightning is still my favorite.  I like Jiffy bits, you
don't have to baby (protect) them like you do with Nils.  Nils bits cut very fast.  Replacing
a Nils cutting head is a bit more expensive than replacing the blades on a Jiffy.  Just some
ramblings from a flatlander.

MD

Offline rowell6369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:21 AM »
I agree with Allagashtrapper, you must have bad gas or something. I have and old (mfg mid to late 80's) model 30 that has been in my family for almost 20 years and been abused consistantly yet, still starts 3rd -4th pull everytime! I did have to rebuild the carb. this year which was super simple and the kit only cost $15 from Napa. I'm gonna be honest, if you have them "profesionally" serviced, I'd find a new shop.
Q: What do ice fishermen and hypochondriacs have in common?
A: They don't really have to catch anything to be happy.

Offline rowell6369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:25 AM »
I agree with Allagashtrapper, you must have bad gas or something. I have and old (mfg mid to late 80's) model 30 that has been in my family for almost 20 years and been abused consistantly yet, still starts 3rd -4th pull everytime! I did have to rebuild the carb. this year which was super simple and the kit only cost $15 from Napa. I'm gonna be honest, if you have them "profesionally" serviced, I'd find a new shop.

I meant to say Billditrite
Q: What do ice fishermen and hypochondriacs have in common?
A: They don't really have to catch anything to be happy.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:42 AM »
that is his name when he wants to be bad   lol   >:D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2010, 12:01 PM »
A Icegator will always start first try
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline schoons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Have had my eskimo for about 20 years.  It has always started and I've had no major issues with it.  I'll definitely purchase another one when the time comes.

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:16 PM »
well ya sound like ya got the stinky gas run when they want augers covered...maybe take a look at an Icegator   ;)

Got mine this year.  Amazing doesn't begin to cover it.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline PortageLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:04 PM »

I think one of the problems when a so called '' PROFESSIONAL '' shop tunes a Jiffy auger is they dont field test it. The best way to properly adjust the carb is while cutting ice, as most fans of jiffy augers already know.  ;)   Just my two cents..JIFFYS RULE!!!!! ;D

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:05 PM »
There was a brand new Strikemaster auger in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas today. 

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:21 PM »
get an Eskimo Z71, my friend just got a 10in for around $340 SHIPPED because he liked mine so much, they RIIIIIP and start no mater how cold it is usually the 1st pull, sometimes on the 3ed on mine i did have an isue where I needed customer service, they are EXCELLENT !!! great people great product great price great performance no brainier 
saw a guy on the ice with one today he loves it says he has run jiffy for 30 years says after running the eskino he will never go back to a jiffey said he got it for 320.00 it did cut the ice like butter
in god we trust

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Buy an Eskimo, its 100x better then the Jiffy I owned!
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline jmayo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:06 PM »
not true portagelaker i can bench tune a jiffy d*m near erfect everytime. rarely does one need to be touched again.
john

I think one of the problems when a so called '' PROFESSIONAL '' shop tunes a Jiffy auger is they dont field test it. The best way to properly adjust the carb is while cutting ice, as most fans of jiffy augers already know.  ;)   Just my two cents..JIFFYS RULE!!!!! ;D
>--^-(*>
John

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline The TK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 PM »
not true portagelaker i can bench tune a jiffy d*m near erfect everytime. rarely does one need to be touched again.
john

Agreed. Just have to know what you're doing  ;)

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:05 PM »
I owned a jiffy model 30 for many years. It was heavy and very powerful. I really liked it. The last 2 years I owned it, I could not get that thing tuned to save my frozen butt. I ended up selling it and going with an Eskimo Shark. While Im not crazy about the plastic, everything else is the cats meow. Faster, lighter, easier starting, cheaper, plenty of power...everything you want in an auger. I am very impressed with their machines. I see no reason to use anything else. I have had it for 4 seasons and I go out almost every weekend. Just my 2c. Im sure you will be happy with anything you buy. Good luck.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I tried my Friends new Jiffy 3500 a couple of weeks ago and it ran and cut great, I had all so been looking at the Eskimo augers and after looking at them both it looks like they have the same engines, don't know this for sure but they look allot alike.
Never Give Up!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:37 PM »
If you want to get rid of these let me know. Might be interested.  8) 8)

Offline allagashtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Thank you to everyone for all the input!  After reading all the posts and doing some research, I am going to buy an Eskimo.
Smeltslayer, I just got two Jiffy's (an 8" and a 10") back from the shop that I may be interested in selling you.  PM me, and we can discuss it.  Thank you!

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Sounds to me like you arent the small engine type. Maybe you should buy one of them electric jobs. Jiffys will out cut and run better then any other auger, hands down. My buddy (ferrari) baught a BRAND NEW Eskimo. He got out to Belgrade a day before I showed up and wehn I got there, I asked, "why are you only fishing 3 traps?" well his brand new auger had sh!t the bed, at a time when he needed it the most (was camping out on the ice). So if it werent for my jiffy, that would have been a missed weekend of fishing.
,we call them junk fish!

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Sounds to me like you arent the small engine type. Maybe you should buy one of them electric jobs. Jiffys will out cut and run better then any other auger, hands down. My buddy (ferrari) baught a BRAND NEW Eskimo. He got out to Belgrade a day before I showed up and wehn I got there, I asked, "why are you only fishing 3 traps?" well his brand new auger had sh!t the bed, at a time when he needed it the most (was camping out on the ice). So if it werent for my jiffy, that would have been a missed weekend of fishing.

Did your buddy forget to premix? hahahaha
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:17 AM »

I was never much of a small-engine type myself, but the new gas mix has really sealed the deal.  Seems I was too dumb to know there was a blue stabli for that stuff.  I just used the red and ended up fixing every darn two-stroke I owned in the same season.  Live an learn, I guess.  It is very nice, though, to just push a button on my icegator and know it's going to work.  Are they better than gas? In general I can't say that they are, but would argue that they're equal.  Are they better than gas for some people in some situations?  Hands down.  There's always a tradeoff no matter what you go with- mixed gas and carb troubles vs. battery maintenance and heavier price tag.  I love my gator and won't go back.  Some guys just can't trust the electric, or prefer gas.  Some guys drive ford, some chevy.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:29 AM »
not a big stabil fan try the star tron

Offline Old Crow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I own a strikemaster and have been pleased with the exception of breaking the handle.  I drilled and tapped through the split and put a 1/4 20 bolt in works fine now.

If I was buying a new auger I would look at the Gator.  The big advantage is no gas or oil smell on your hands to transfer to your bait.  You don't have to wear gloves while drilling!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.